4 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2009 8:57 AM by kglad

Voice Activation Software?

riceroman3 Level 1

Does anyone know of voice activation software that can be substituted for a click event, and compatible with Flash?

something like...

myCommand_sound.onRelease = function () {

play()

};

thanks,

Mike

• 1. Re: Voice Activation Software?
          Rothrock Level 5

Most likely not in AS2. It might be possible to make with AS3.

Or there might be solutions that use other types of voice recognition and then could communicate with Flash over a server of some sort.

I think that most voice recognition stuff that works well is really pretty complex and I'm doubtful that there is something. I would be interested in finding out if anybody has any ideas.

Here is a forum article to get you started:

http://www.actionscript.org/forums/showthread.php3?t=162759

• 2. Re: Voice Activation Software?
            kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

it's not even close to possible with as2.

with as3 you might think it would be close to possible using the microphone class and the soundmixer's computespectrum.  but 1) computespectrum is too crude to analyse speech and 2) sounds from the microphone don't pass through the soundmixer object.

until 2) changes, there's no hope of using voice to control anything in flash.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Voice Activation Software?
              esco1313

i probably don't know what i'm talking about, but i beg to differ..

http://www.andreaslutz.com/

how about that!

• 4. Re: Voice Activation Software?
                kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

you can detect microphone sound using flash and you can detect the amout of sound.  but there's an impossible gap between the amount of sound and an analysis of the sound.

oops.  i just realized as i started to explain about the analysis of sound (for voice recognition), you may not be asking about voice recognition.

if all you want is to use the amount of sound (or the presence of sound) to trigger an event, you CAN do that with the microphone class.  you won't be able to distinguish between voice and non-voice sound, but you can determine the amount of sound using the activityLevel of a microphone instance.