7 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2009 9:42 AM by the_wine_snob

Importing AVI, PE 3.02

RndmPplPrsn Level 1

It's simply this.

I'm Importing AVI off my computer into PE 3, but it only reads it as a sound file, plays it as a sound file, and it plays the right sound for the clip.

By the way, I have played the video seperately from PE and the video and audio show/present perfectly.

• 1. Re: Importing AVI, PE 3.02
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The first step is to download and install the freeware program, G-Spot. When you launch it, it will survey your entire system for properly installed CODEC's. Next drag one of your problem AVI's to it. G-Spot will give you all of the data on that file. It'll save you time, if you just do a screen-cap of the G-Spot window and save that as a JPG. Use the little "camera" icon in the middle of the forum editing screen to "attach" that screen-cap. Hint: it's right under the slate/clapper icon.

From your description of the behavior, I'd guess that you have a DivX, or Xvid CODEC in your .AVI. If so, you will need to convert that to DV-AVI Type II, to work in PE..

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Importing AVI, PE 3.02
            Paul_LS Level 4

As Hunt says on some of these very compressed formats you will need to convert to DV-AVI... see this FAQ on conversion techniques: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

If the codec is MJPEG you can generally edit with PE if you have a codec installed... try this free one: http://www.free-codecs.com/Motion_JPEG_Codec_download.htm

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Importing AVI, PE 3.02
              RndmPplPrsn Level 1

We'll I'm not sure I understand all of that, but instead can you guys tell me which file I should convert these files to for 720 x 480, that PE 3.02 would accept.

Because I am somewhat short on time, and I'm using Format Factory.

• 4. Re: Importing AVI, PE 3.02
                Paul_LS Level 4

I took a look at Format Factory, it does not look like it exports to DV-AVI, best option for PE3. I would go with Windows Movie Maker for the conversion.

• 5. Re: Importing AVI, PE 3.02
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I may have missed it, but what did G-Spot report as the CODEC for your particular files? That information will lead to the best conversion program to use with them, and also to specific recommendations on which CODEC you might need to install.

Also, see this LINK for more info on AVI files.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Importing AVI, PE 3.02
                    RndmPplPrsn Level 1

Sorry I should have answered earlier.

I used G-Spot, and the files worked, not only that but the thumbnails showed up (Should have noticed that sorry).

All I need was that codec, because I forgot that technically now (Since my computer has been completely deleted of all data for about a month) I have a brand new computer. And it didn't even read the WMV file either with I KNEW was wrong.

Thanks to all of ya'll, especially for that program, because that may have solved a problem at my school (With Premier Pro 1.5) that has been troublesome for several years, and several other little errors.

Oh, and Hunt and Paul, I fixed the problem with the odd PE 3.02 serious error problem, I forgot to delete some very hidden files in my computer about two or three of them, so when I re-installed it had those errors. Even though I did all I could to delete it, I forgot some files wouldn't be in "My Documents" or Program Files"

So Consider this my thanks for that too.

• 7. Re: Importing AVI, PE 3.02
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Sounds like you're on the road to success.

Ending up with DV-AVI Type II w/48KHz 16-bit Audio, files to Import into Premiere (any version of PE, or PrPro) is always the best course. Some other CODEC's will work and edit, but less efficiently than the DV-AVI's. You may only loose some performance, but worse things could easily happen.

When on rebuilds a computer, there will be a lot of things lost in that transition. One is CODEC's. Many programs will install these, during their installations. It's silent, and the collection of CODEC's grows over time. Then, we may physically add some ourselves, as they are needed. We forget about the ones that we knew of, and certainly forget about ones that we were unaware of. Rebulid the machine, and suddenly nothing plays! It's usually a lack of CODEC's. Unless we reinstall ALL of the programs that we had before (highly unlikely), and reinstall all of the CODEC's that we had needed, we're now short some CODEC's. The process starts all over - use G-Spot, note CODEC, Google CODEC, download and install CODEC. Then we move on to the next file format... sometimes, it sees to never end.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt