6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2009 10:21 PM by scid sam

SHA as an option for hashes

scid sam

I am new to the Lightroom SDK and I am working on a upload plugin for a service that requires passwords to be submitted in sha-1 hash.  I see that there is a LrMD5 hashing available, is there any plans to add other hashing options (like sha-1, sha-2, etc).  If not does anyone have a lua implementation of it that would work in the sdk?

thanks

sdevore

• 1. Re: SHA as an option for hashes
          DawMatt Level 3

scid sam wrote:

is there any plans to add other hashing options (like sha-1, sha-2, etc).  If not does anyone have a lua implementation of it that would work in the sdk?

Hi Sdevore,

I suggest you raise a feature request to register your interest in this feature.  My guess is they aren't working on this so unless you request it you might not find this even in LR3's SDK.  If they were going to proactively work on additional hash types I would have expected the namespace to be LrHash or similar rather than LrMD5.

Can only suggest you Google for an LUA implementation of SHA-1 and give it a go.  You might need to do some hacking of the code because not all standard LUA functions are available in Lightroom.  Haven't heard of anyone else trying to use alternate hashes in Lightroom.

Matt

• 2. Re: SHA as an option for hashes
            DawMatt Level 3

scid sam wrote:

I am new to the Lightroom SDK and I am working on a upload plugin for a service that requires passwords to be submitted in sha-1 hash.  I see that there is a LrMD5 hashing available, is there any plans to add other hashing options (like sha-1, sha-2, etc).  If not does anyone have a lua implementation of it that would work in the sdk?

I guess Jeffrey heard you!  The plugin development maestro just posted this today: http://regex.info/blog/lua/sha1

Looks just like what the doctor ordered!  Would still put in the feature request though because as he points out LUA ain't the most efficient language for doing this kind of work.

Matt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: SHA as an option for hashes
              scid sam Level 1

Wow that is great, I did put in an official request as well.  I am not sure how responsive Adobe will be but this will be a great help

• 4. Re: SHA as an option for hashes
                DawMatt Level 3

scid sam wrote:

I did put in an official request as well.  I am not sure how responsive Adobe will be but this will be a great help

To set your expectations, I would be extremely surprised if this SDK change appears before LR3, but I think it has a reasonable chance of being added to that release.  It should be easy enough for them to add and Jeffrey (their most prolific 3rd party plugin developer) has highlighted both a need for the algorithm, and the extreme difficultly of efficiently implementing this in plain LUA.  They either need to add the feature themselves or allow us to write and call C modules from LUA.  I can't seen them doing the latter for support/security reasons.  Seems a no brainer to me.

Matt

• 5. Re: SHA as an option for hashes
                  SeanMcCormack Adobe Community Professional

As a brief moment of 'Fess Up' Jeffrey mentioned this to me prior to posting, and I did mention that someone in the forum was requesting it.. Good one Jeffrey!

• 6. Re: SHA as an option for hashes
                    scid sam Level 1

Well thanks to you as well, this solved my problem for now.  I do agree that it 'should' be a part of the lightroom namespace to have more extensive hashes.