5 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2009 3:53 PM by the_wine_snob

photoshopserver.exe

post23

I am trying to import a photoshop file into a project in premier cs4 and i get a Microsoft Windows box coming up saying photoshopserver.exe has stopped working and when you close this window a File Import Failure box in premier cs4 comes up with Error Message saying unsupported format or damaged file. Would anyone have any thoughts why this photoshopserver .exe is not working preventing me from importing this photoshop file.

My system is Windows Vista sp1 Home Premium ( 64 bit)

• 1. Re: photoshopserver.exe
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Is there any chance you have a very small square layer in your .psd file?

-Jeff

• 2. Re: photoshopserver.exe
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Are you Importing as Footage, or Sequence?

Can you post a screen-cap of your image in PS with the Layers Palette expanded?

Do you have any Adjustment Layers? Which Adjustments?

Do you have any Paths, or Alpha Channels that are not being used directly?

If Importing as Footage, can you Flatten and do a Save_As (increment name) and try Importing that .PSD?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: photoshopserver.exe
              post23 Level 1

Thanks Jeff for  taking the time to reply to my question. I have attached the psd file which i cannot import for what ever reason.

I am just a beginner at video editing and this file is from Total Training Premier Pro2 which I am working my way through.

I am not sure what I should be looking for regarding a very small square layer that is why I put the attachment on.

Thanks again for your time

Arbin Kydd

========================================

Message Received: May 29 2009, 11:59 PM

To: "Arbin Kydd"

Cc:

Subject: photoshopserver.exe

Is there any chance you have a very small square layer in your .psd file?

-Jeff

• 4. Re: photoshopserver.exe
                post23 Level 1

Thank you for your reply.

I have attached the psd file which I am trying to import into Premier Pro cs4.

I am a beginner at video editing and this pds file is from Total Training Premier Pro 2 which I am working my way through.

To import the import box shows up in Prem CS4, locate your file to import and click import. I have not seen the option Footage or Sequence. Unfortunately I do not have the knowledge to answer the questions you ask hope that the attachment when you open it would answer your questions. Again thanks for your time.

Arbin Kydd 

========================================

Message Received: May 30 2009, 01:47 AM

To: "Arbin Kydd"

Cc:

Subject: photoshopserver.exe

Are you Importing as Footage, or Sequence?

Can you post a screen-cap of your image in PS with the Layers Palette expanded?

Do you have any Adjustment Layers? Which Adjustments?

Do you have any Paths, or Alpha Channels that are not being used directly?

If Importing as Footage, can you Flatten and do a Save_As (increment name) and try Importing that .PSD?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: photoshopserver.exe
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, I do not see any attachment link. Though .PSD is Adobe's native file format, I do not think that their fora will accept a .PSD.

The option to Import as Footage, or as a Sequence should show up, as soon as you locate your file on your system and click the OK. Now, it is possible that CS4 has made a change, so I'm not positive about when you should see this option in CS4.

Quick background in the differences:

1.) PSD's can contain Layers, plus Paths, Alpha Channels and Vector Shapes. If you Import as Footage (the most common form of still Import), PrPro will offer to Flatten the Layers, or to Import just the Layer of your choice. This is done in most cases, unless one wishes to animate the individual Layers, or elements in the .PSD file. With Total Training, I would anticipate that they would go into specific detail, it you needed to Import as a Sequence. I think that Importing as Footage, and then Flattening the .PSD would be the proper choice here.

2.) Since the PSD's can contain the items mentioned above, you can Import as a Sequence. This brings in the file with its own Timeline and all of the elements stacked up on that Timeline, i.e. a PSD with 3 Layers will have one Layer each on Video Track 1, 2 & 3. One can then do different things to each Layer. Animation is a common action to perform. If the Total Training lesson is about animating Layers in a still, then this would be the method of Import.

Do you also have Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements? I do not think that you would need either for photoshopserver to function, but having one, or the other might allow us to get more details about the "insides" of this file.

Can you give us a quick digest of what this lesson covers. That might define what is the proper method of Import.

Hope someone chimes in with info on where the "Footage," or "Sequence" choice might have moved, in case it has.

As it appears that you tried to attach it twice, you can attach it to an e-mail to me (e'dress in my Profile), and I can answer Jeff's question, and also see if there is something wrong with this particular file. I'm leaving town late Tuesday of next week and will be gone for most of the month of June. I'll not be traveling with my laptop, so I'll be out of touch for quite some time. Still, it should only take me a minute to dissect the file.

Good luck,

Hunt