3 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2009 5:13 AM by Jeff Bellune

Why does the waveform disappear after editing in Sound Booth?

tunghoy Level 1

It happens consistently with CS4 on 2 different computers. I right-click the audio track and select Edit in Adobe Sound Booth, and SB opens the audio for editing. I edit the audio, and it updates the audio. I know it does, because when I play back the edited section, it's correct. But the waveform is gone! I tried playing around with the display style -- disable and enable waveform, keyframes, etc. -- but the audio track doesn't display anything. I have to exit out of Premiere and re-start it to see the waveform again.

Anyone else experience this?

Also: when editing the audio in SB, is there a way to substitute the PP audio track with a multi-track? I know I can export a multitrack as an .aiff and import it into PP, but I was wondering if there's a way to link it.

• 1. Re: Why does the waveform disappear after editing in Sound Booth?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

There is a fairly recent thread on this very problem. IIRC, it was posted about the time of the forum changeover, probably a week after this. I also believe that there was a comment by an Adobe person, regarding the explanation for the why and how.

As I do not use SB, but Audition, I did not follow that thread all that closely, as it did not pertain to my workflow. You might want to do a Search and limit it to this forum. I also think that there is an SB forum and the Adobe presence might have come from there.

Good luck, and sorry that I do not have links for you,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Why does the waveform disappear after editing in Sound Booth?
            tunghoy Level 1

Thanks for responding, but the thread you mentioned seems to be about a mirror-image problem: waveform not appearing in Sound Booth. In my case, SB is working fine and displaying the waveform properly, which is why I posted my question in this forum, instead.

The problem I'm having is the waveform not appearing in PPro. This doesn't seem to be a case of "it isn't a bug, it's a feature", because exiting and restarting PPro makes the waveform reappear. So it looks like it is a bug. Unless I'm doing something wrong or have a conflict somwhere.

BTW, I used to use Audition, but it had too many hardware issues and wouldn't run under 64-bit Windows. Have you tried it under Vista x64, or with dynamic links to PPro or After Effects? It seems that PPro, AE and Flash have been designed to work with SB rather than Audition.

• 3. Re: Why does the waveform disappear after editing in Sound Booth?
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

How long do you wait for the waveform to appear?  The .pek (or .pk) file

would have to be re-generated for the changed audio, and if your audio

file has a long duration, that could take a bit of time.

Also: do you have to re-start Pr or just close and re-open the project

to get the waveform to appear?

-Jeff