2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2008 8:19 AM by turch2009

gotoAndPlay Help!

nowherecreative Level 1
      I have a movie on the Scene 1 main timeline called "main." I also have buttons on the main timeline that call up different movies within the "main" movie. The code used on those buttons is as follows:
      on (release) {
      main.gotoAndPlay("events");
      }

Now, I have a button that is within a movie that is contained in the "main" movie. If I want that button to call up a different movie within the "main" movie, what is it that I put before the main.gotoAndPlay("events"); function? I thought if I added _parent. that it would work, but I was wrong. I can't for the life of me remember! If anyone can fill in the question marks below, your help is greatly appreciated!

on (release) {
      ???.main.gotoAndPlay("chefs");
      }
        • 1. Re: gotoAndPlay Help!
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          if you button is a simple button, this._parent should get you back to "main".
          • 2. Re: gotoAndPlay Help!
            turch2009
            As much as I hate using it at all, you can try "_root" if your "main" movie is on the root stage. If it works then you know the method is sound, you simply need to figure out the path. Don't keep "_root" if possible.

If it doesn't work, then go over everything with a fine toothed comb. Is your button really a button? Make sure you didn't make it a movieClip. Check the path to the button. Is it in a group as well as in a movieClip? Take that out. Make the paths and code as clean as possible.