18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2010 10:19 AM by JayZ_WA

PE3 - Combining 2 projects

gazmum

I want to combine two of my PE3 projects to make one movie.

Is this possible?

• 1. Re: PE3 - Combining 2 projects
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Export one of them as a DV-AVI and then import it to the other project.  The imported file will be all one clip, however, not the individual clips and transitions and effects.

• 2. Re: PE3 - Combining 2 projects
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, PE doesn't allow direct Import of one Project into another. This is something available in PrPro. Just as Peru_Bob states, you must first Export as DV-AVI, and then Import into your new PE Project. Follow Bob's steps and all will be well.

I want to add one little suggestion/caution, that Bob touched on. When you do your Export, all changes that have been made will be incorporated into that new continuous file. What I want to warn you about is that if you have added Transitions, Export then Import, those Transitions will be incorporated. If you later decide that you do not want those Transitions, they have to be cut out completely. This sounds simple but there is one thing to strongly consider. When you set the In and Out Points of your Clips initially, PE used some of those "Trimmed" frames as Handles for your Transitions. Now, when you cut out the Transitions from the Exported->Imported continuous Clip, you will not have those Handles, as they are part of that Transition - the one that you cut out. When you cut it out, and then butt the two ends together, if you add a new Transition, you will loose some of your footage to the new Handles. Your edit will be tighter by about 15+/- frames per end of Clip, than before. The three ways around this are:

1.) make completely sure that you are satisfied with your initial Project's editing. While you can make changes, you have to consider the Handles from new edits once in the second Project.

2.) make sure that you are satisfied with your initial editing, but if you do make changes, go back to the initial Project, make them there, and re-Export

3.) you can rough-cut your initial Project, leaving more footage, than you will want in each of the Clips. Just decide on the Duration of the Transitions that you will be adding and divide by 2. Leave at least that amount on each end of each Clip. You will then make a Cut in your Exported Project, and use the extra frames as the Handles. All Transitions would be added (after using the Razor/Scissors) to separate your Clips back to the state they were in, in the initial Project, when you're in your second Project.

Just something to think about and plan for, when combining Projects.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PE3 - Combining 2 projects
              Peter Duke Level 1

The easiest way to combine projects is via AVI files as previously mentioned, but all edits will be set in concrete. If you want to retain the ability to change your edits there is a way using a program called Clipmate. The method is not straightforward and unfortunately has two limitations:

1. Transitions are lost

2. Audio and video become unlinked.

The method is described in

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1764903#1764903

Peter Duke

• 4. Re: PE3 - Combining 2 projects
                gazmum Level 1

This is great help, but on another topic - HOW can I stop ALL forum threads

coming to my email?  I used to only choose to get the answers to my own

questions, now I'm getting everyone's and can't find out how to change this.

2009/6/1 Peter Duke <forums@adobe.com>

>

The easiest way to combine projects is via AVI files as previously

mentioned, but all edits will be set in concrete. If you want to retain the

ability to change your edits there is a way using a program called Clipmate.

The method is not straightforward and unfortunately has two limitations:

>

1. Transitions are lost

2. Audio and video become unlinked.

>

The method is described in

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1764903#1764903

>

Peter Duke

>

• 5. Re: PE3 - Combining 2 projects
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Click on your Profile. There, you can adjust the e-mail notification. IIRC, one can have none, all or just for one's original posts. I cannot imagine what ALL must look like. Hint: it's off to the right of the Profile screen.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PE3 - Combining 2 projects
                    gazmum Level 1

Well I can't even find my profile, let alone anything else.  This would have

to be one of the worst sites to navigate I have ever come across!

2009/6/2 the_wine_snob <forums@adobe.com>

>

Click on your Profile. There, you can adjust the e-mail notification. IIRC,

one can have none, all or just for one's original posts. I cannot imagine

what ALL must look like. Hint: it's off to the right of the Profile screen.

>

Good luck,

>

Hunt

>

• 7. Re: PE3 - Combining 2 projects
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Let me know if this helps.

Profile_Adobe.jpg

From any place that your avatar appears, you can click it, or at the top of the forum page (see image), and can access your Profile. Then look to the right for Actions.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 8. Re: PE3 - Combining 2 projects
                        gazmum Level 1

The damn thing's a nightmare to navigate!  I don't get that option - I

search around a bit and find where I can receive email notifications about

this particular thread (which I do want) but how do I stop everyone else's

threads from coming into my email?

>

>

>

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/4473/Profile_Adobe.jpg

>

From any place that your avatar appears, you can click it, or at the top of

the forum page (see image), and can access your Profile. Then look to the

right for Actions.

>

Hope that this helps,

>

Hunt

>

• 9. Re: PE3 - Combining 2 projects
                          gazmum Level 1

On my profile screen, the right-hand options are:

Edit Forums Profile

Edit Adobe profile

Change avatar

Edit preferences

None of those seem to take me in the direction I need.

>

>

>

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/4473/Profile_Adobe.jpg

>

From any place that your avatar appears, you can click it, or at the top of

the forum page (see image), and can access your Profile. Then look to the

right for Actions.

>

Hope that this helps,

>

Hunt

>

• 10. Re: PE3 - Combining 2 projects
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

[Edit] Well DUH! That is where it is, when I am looking at YOUR Profile. When YOU look at it, there will be a series of tabs, just above your avatar. The third one, I believe, will be E-mail notifications. Open that tab, and you'll see all of the posts that you are watching. Check them all, and then at the bottom of that page, should be Change E-mail Notification.

Sorry about that, I was looking at your Profile, but am not you, so I was seeing a different screen.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: PE3 - Combining 2 projects
                              gazmum Level 1

Hey thank you so much for taking the time to help. Really appreciate it.  I

was using Firefox browser but have now tried it through IE and I think I've

got it sussed now.  Here's hoping!

2009/6/3 the_wine_snob <forums@adobe.com>

>

Under Actions: you don't have E-mail Notifications?

>

Are you reading the fora via a browser (which one?), or via e-mail, or RSS

feed? There may be big differences. Even by clicking on your Profile, I can

see the E-mail Notifications for you.

>

Good luck,

>

Hunt

>

• 12. Re: PE3 - Combining 2 projects
                                gazmum Level 1

oops nope I haven't got it sussed.  All I was doing was changing the

preferences for the threads I wanted to SEE on the forum page.  I still

can't find anywhere the 'actions' you list for the profile page - I have the

same page come up, but the 'actions' do not include 'Receive email

notifications' - I do have an 'edit preferences' link which takes me to a

page which allows me to set whether I want to subscribe via emails to

threads I start or participate in, but nowhere is there anything to disable

emails for threads I am not part of.

2009/6/3 Glynis Walsh <glynis.walsh@gmail.com>

Hey thank you so much for taking the time to help. Really appreciate it.  I

was using Firefox browser but have now tried it through IE and I think I've

got it sussed now.  Here's hoping!

>

>

>

>> Under Actions: you don't have E-mail Notifications?

>>

>> Are you reading the fora via a browser (which one?), or via e-mail, or RSS

>> feed? There may be big differences. Even by clicking on your Profile, I can

>> see the E-mail Notifications for you.

>>

>> Good luck,

>>

>> Hunt

>>

• 13. Re: PE3 - Combining 2 projects
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is another alternative.

E-Mail Notification.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: PE3 - Combining 2 projects
                                    gazmum Level 1

Yes - but this is the only thread listed - nowhere can I find that I have

subscribed to all threads in that forum, but they keep a'comin' !  I'm

beat.  Can't even find a way to email an administrator or anything ......

>

Here is another alternative.

>

>

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/4575/E-Mail+Notification.jpg

>

Good luck,

>

Hunt

>

• 15. Re: PE3 - Combining 2 projects
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, let's go back a few suggestions to your Profile. Here are places that you need to look for all posts:

E-Mail_Profile_01.jpg

E-Mail_Profile_02.jpg

If this did not work for you before, did you put a check in all of the threads? It worked fine for me, but you indicated that the result was not what you wanted.

Beyond this, I'd say that you need to contact Adobe and tell them that you want all e-mail contact removed from your Profile.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: PE3 - Combining 2 projects
                                        gazmum Level 1

Thanks - you've been brilliant.  Sorry to be such a pain.  Seems to be all

okay now.

>

OK, let's go back a few suggestions to your Profile. Here are places that

you need to look for all posts:

>

>

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/4576/E-Mail_Profile_01.jpg

>

>

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/4586/E-Mail_Profile_02.jpg

>

If this did not work for you before, did you put a check in all of the

threads? It worked fine for me, but you indicated that the result was not

what you wanted.

>

Beyond this, I'd say that you need to contact Adobe and tell them that you

want all e-mail contact removed from your Profile.

>

Good luck,

>

Hunt

>

• 17. Re: PE3 - Combining 2 projects
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

That's great news. In the old days, one had to delibertly set e-mail notification. Now, it seems to be hit-or-miss.

Hunt

• 18. Re: PE3 - Combining 2 projects
                                            JayZ_WA

This old post related to my question -

I am working on a project that has become quite resource intensive! It will be approx 7-8 minutes in total length with AVCHD files in addition to stills and audio.  Although my system is doing ok (just ok!) in working with this now, it's sweating a bit!

Would it be reasonable to create the first half of the project in one file, the second half in another file and then use a final project to combine the two DVI files?  This way, the project could still be edited by going into either file but keep the file more manageable?  I think I could ultimately make it through with one file but not without some crashing/freezing/frustration as it continues to increase in size!

Does this effect the quality by creating the DVI file and then creating another final DVI file?

Any disadvantages (other than not having complete workflow in front of me - this is a logical break in video/audio)?  Good idea to keep it manageable??

Thanks-