18 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2009 8:45 PM by Sheri Codiana

Adobe, Please put AME up for download!!!

don solomon Level 1

You made the deadline (barely as Josh says), and some kind soul jumped the gun and put Pr 4.1  on the server one day early. In spite of expressed trepidations that it was incomplete, it turned out to be exactly the same file that was officially posted the next day.  Thanks, whoever you are.  I have been impressed so far, thanks to my extra day of testing and working without that previous PIA called 4.01 that took forever to fix.

Pr 4.1 is on its update page, AE 9.02 is on its update page, and in record time if my memory serves me well, but AME is nowhere to be seen. And for us with Production machines nowhere near the internet, that's like getting a new car that came without wheels and sits on blocks waiting for their arrival to go somewhere.  The engine sounds great, the accessories seem to all work thus far, But.......

Please, someone, a janitor, anyone. put the last vital *&%$^#@ piece up, so I can finish my testing.

• 1. Re: Adobe, Please put AME up for download!!!
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          And for us with Production machines nowhere near the internet

That makes me wonder how you intend to get the download? By snail mail on a DVD shipped by Adobe?

• 2. Re: Adobe, Please put AME up for download!!!
            don solomon Level 1

Harm,

You surprised me!  I said to myself when I posted that I bet Harm will be th first responder and will admonish me with ' if you have proper security, being on the internet can't get you in trouble'

I plan to get it over to my production machine from this 'do the housework' computer via an external drive that is hot pluggable like everything else I download. I am surprised that didn't make your list, which presently includes only entirely absurd possibilities.

I have a motto that has always served me very well: Keep the production machine absolutely clean, lean, and mean.  That means keeping it free of internet applications, mail, bookkeeping, entertainment, tax calculations, etc,etc,etc.

• 3. Re: Adobe, Please put AME up for download!!!
              joshtownsend Level 2

Anyway I can take the update from a temp file or something and put it up for you? Don't mind doing what I can to return the favor.

BTW After Effects 9.0.2 didn't fix it automatic pulldown or fix the the great pain in the *** workflow issue of not knowing where any AE comps in the premiere project are when you import a Premiere pro project file. Just not really friendly to feature film workflows at all. But not complaining.

I'm totally happy with 4.1 update. I swear the fixes have already saved a couple hours of life.

• 4. Re: Adobe, Please put AME up for download!!!
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Don,

Maybe I am confused, but others have found the AME 4.1 update, Harm? Josh?

Might want to search some of the recent update threads for the exact link.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Adobe, Please put AME up for download!!!
                  Eddie Lotter Level 4

I got it through the Adobe Update Manager.

When it is ready as a separate download then it will be available from this page.

Cheers
                  Eddie

• 6. Re: Adobe, Please put AME up for download!!!
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Don,

While I agree with you on keeping a machine (c)lean and mean, you may consider installing just Bridge on your other machine so you can download with AUM and then transfer to your video machine with the external disk.

I am surprised that didn't make your list, which presently includes only entirely absurd possibilities.

Can you explain? Which list and what absurd possibilities are you talking about?

• 7. Re: Adobe, Please put AME up for download!!!
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Eddie,

Thanks. Must have just been the AUM version, and I confused that with the download version.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Adobe, Please put AME up for download!!!
                        don solomon Level 1

Josh,

Thanks for the offer, but I really can live without it until later next week.  You know, just wanted to test it to see if they got any more horses under the hood.  I guess getting everyone o the sam page at Adobe is nearly impossible.

Yeah, the DL works with AE/PR but just that and nothing more.  Why Adobe takes so long to bring features up to the normally expected standard of behavior is beyond me.  Just like the frame export.  Yes, it now doesn't have to sit in the AME queue, but it doesn't load it back into PR as an asset, which is what you would expect of a pro level app,  You still have to manually reimport it as far as I can see. so, a bit of a fix, but short of what we hoped for and that every other professional NLE that I know has.

You know that they will get all the pieces together for CS4, just in time to start the cycle over again with CS5.

But, there have been improvements that will cut down the workflow drag appreciably, and I am thankful for that.

• 9. Re: Adobe, Please put AME up for download!!!
                          don solomon Level 1

Harm,

I was referring to your snail mail and DVD suggestions--not really a list, I guess.

That is a good suggestion.  I can stick Bridge on this machine for AUM.

• 10. Re: Adobe, Please put AME up for download!!!
                            don solomon Level 1

Hunt,

As far as I know, everyone has gotten it from AUM.  It is not on the update page yet, and I haven't found any server links with it.  No really a serious problem--you know just curious to work with the whole package.  I am pleased with the rest of 4.1--to this point. that is.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thus far, I think I have won the configuration lottery again on this update.  Others have not been so lucky, unfortunately.

• 11. Re: Adobe, Please put AME up for download!!!
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Don,

So it seems. Must have mis-read the post that I was referring to. Maybe it was Harm speaking Spanish again?

I used to think that I lived in the state of Arizona. More often now, I think it the state of Confusion.

Sorry about that, and thanks to Eddie for the page link,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Adobe, Please put AME up for download!!!
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Bill,

You must have read my reaction to the SHOUTED MESSAGE in Spanish by one poster. It surprises me that on an English speaking forum people assume they can SHOUT their message in their native language and expect answers. In that case I respond to them in the same way, using my native language (Dutch or Bärndütsch) and expect them to understand that as well. If they can't, their bad luck.

When I say: "Het Öppe öpper öppis überchô?" it seems unrealistic to expect many to understand that. If I want to get my question across I must adjust to the common language used on these fora and refrain from shouting. If I don't, I can not expect full help. EOS (End of story).

• 13. Re: Adobe, Please put AME up for download!!!
                                  joshtownsend Level 2

Man I feel so sorry for ya. You tough-guyed-it and risked the first install and now can't render. Sucks. Any tests I can do your you?

Here's how my renders have been going:

I'm color correcting, do AE stuff and basically just experimenting with the movie while I work to pay for final mix while it is getting done. Because the ausio guys do one reel at a time (two reels almost down) I can still screw around with the reels they haven't sone. POINT IS, for months I've been prerendering the reels and movie making dvd's of various cuts and playing them wherever I guy

I render each reel to DVD-MPEG using the high quaility preset (one pass).

The reels are 10-15 minutes long.

There are around 500 media files in the project (Not including the 30+ AE linked comps).

Not sure how many actual edits in each reel but I did have 10-15 audio tracks of temp music. Most of it is DVCPRO HD 1080 24pa source with stills and various framerates and resolution clips(everything a minute of 480i, 720p and 108060i)

4.0.2 it took 12-15 minutes to render each reel if I clicked the use 'use' preview file. I remember because i messed with it for months.

Now with version 4.1.666 they rendered in 8-9 minutes.

AND I didn't have to wait a minute or two for the reels to start rendering. 4.1 starts in like 5 seconds.

Also when I open PR or AE project using AME. It doesn't make me wait at least a minute like to pick the sequence to render. Does it right away.

Only odd thing so far.

When I have media batched and ready to render, if I wanted to change the render settings, it took over a minute for the menu to pop up now it's usually right away.....BUT when I restart AME and try to change the render settings is Custom, not a preset, it takes 5 minutes for export settings panel to open!!!

• 14. Re: Adobe, Please put AME up for download!!!
                                    don solomon Level 1

Josh,

Good to hear that AME is considerably faster at some things--anything would have been an improvement.

Thanks for the offer to test, but right now I'm preparing still sequences  in Proshow Producer 4 to intermix in a long promo that I have to get out the door by June 15th, so haven't much time to test out all the possibilities with the 4.1 related upgrades this weekend.  I'm sure they will get AME on the site by Monday or Tuesday, by which time I may be ready to continue trying to find out if anything is broken that is critical to what I am doing.  There will be bugs--just hope they are all nice annyoing little ones that remind me of the imperfect tools we all use.

The speed increases have been the big plus for me so far.  Sounds like you have really benifitted beyond that.  That's good.

• 15. Re: Adobe, Please put AME up for download!!!
                                      joshtownsend Level 2

don solomon wrote:

The speed increases have been the big plus for me so far.  Sounds like you have really benifitted beyond that.  That's good.

Well the DVCPRO HD codect is easily the fastest HD codec out there. It runs like HD. I a havr a good computer but isn't all that.

q9550 oc'd to 3.7 quad core, ton of fast hardrives, 8 gig Ram

I think it's really using RAM way more effeciantly now.  Also I haven't even installed it on my Vista partition. I've been blazing on Windows 7 64.

• 16. Re: Adobe, Please put AME up for download!!!
                                        don solomon Level 1

Josh,

I took harm's advice and installed Bridge on my internet computer.  Got AME 4.1, and you are right--AME is considerably faster for sure.

So, 4.1 overall, is much more usable.  AT LAST!

• 17. Re: Adobe, Please put AME up for download!!!
                                          Sheri Codiana Level 1

AME 4.1 should be up on Adobe.com in the next week or so. It's in progress.

Sheri