13 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2011 4:24 AM by Omke Oudeman RSS

    Bridge & Cache Errors - CS4

    LRK 2 MeganK

      I keep getting errors when I launch Bridge saying "Bridge encountered a problem and is unable to read the cache. Please try purging the central cache in Cache Preferences to correct the situation".

       

      I purge the cache but the message keeps coming back. I tried deleting the Bridge Preference file but still keeps happening.

       

      No doubt it's something wrong on my computer. Always seems to be the case when I post a problem. But I thought I'd post just in case there is a solution.

       

      Mac G5 Quad - OS 10.4.11 - 12 GB RAM - 2 internal TB Drives with plenty of free space

       

      Linda

       

      Added Note: Thought it might be relevant to mention that I also use Lightroom 2 on this setup, just in case the two programs are conflicting.

        • 1. Re: Bridge & Cache Errors - CS4
          Ian Lyons CommunityMVP

          Linda,

           

          Bridge and Lightroom do not share a cache, so it's unlikely that this is the source of your problem. In the past, errors such as you describe, especially those that refuse to clear when the main cache is purged from within Bridge preferences, are due to the presence of a corrupt distributed cache (i.e. two hidden files in each folder).

           

          You haven't mentioned whether you use a distributed cache, but if you do then it will be necessary to use the Purge Cache for Folder "XXX" command. This command can be found under the Tools>Cache menu. However, before using this command it would be wise to disable the distributed cache option in Bridge preferences.

          • 2. Re: Bridge & Cache Errors - CS4
            LRK 2 MeganK

            Ian Lyons wrote:

             

            Linda,

             

            Bridge and Lightroom do not share a cache, so it's unlikely that this is the source of your problem. In the past, errors such as you describe, especially those that refuse to clear when the main cache is purged from within Bridge preferences, are due to the presence of a corrupt distributed cache (i.e. two hidden files in each folder).

             

            You haven't mentioned whether you use a distributed cache, but if you do then it will be necessary to use the Purge Cache for Folder "XXX" command. This command can be found under the Tools>Cache menu. However, before using this command it would be wise to disable the distributed cache option in Bridge preferences.

             

             

            Hi Ian,

             

            Thank you for responding.

             

            I have been doing the Purge Cache command with no luck.

             

            I could not find "Disable the distributed cache option in Bridge preferences" so I tried searching for it in Help but nothing came up about it.

             

            I'm sure it must be staring me in the face but I just don't see it.

             

            Linda

            • 3. Re: Bridge & Cache Errors - CS4
              Ian Lyons CommunityMVP

              Linda,

               

              Distributed cache is the name Adobe used up until CS3 at which point they decided not to bother giving it a name at all. The screenshot shown below is how you want the cache preference to be set.

               

              The Purge command that I referred to is the command found under the Bridge Tools>Cache sub menu not the Purge Cache command found in the preferences panel shown below.

               

               

              disable-distributed-cache.png

              • 4. Re: Bridge & Cache Errors - CS4
                LRK 2 MeganK

                Ian Lyons wrote:

                 

                Linda,

                 

                Distributed cache is the name Adobe used up until CS3 at which point they decided not to bother giving it a name at all. The screenshot shown below is how you want the cache preference to be set.

                 

                The Purge command that I referred to is the command found under the Bridge Tools>Cache sub menu not the Purge Cache command found in the preferences panel shown below.

                 

                 

                disable-distributed-cache.png

                 

                Thank you for the screen shot and added info. I did have Export Cache deselected. I've done everything I'm supposed to but so far still having the same error message.

                 

                I seem to be a magnet for these problems. Problems seem to search me out and find me. Having other issues related to Dreamweaver CS4 on a fairly new MacBook Pro.

                 

                At least I can work from Lightroom, and I can probably even still work in Bridge, so at least this isn't disabling... just concerning.

                • 5. Re: Bridge & Cache Errors - CS4
                  Ian Lyons CommunityMVP

                  If purging the cache the official way doesn't fix the problem cache then temporarily moving your Bridge cache out of its normal home is worth a try. If nothing else it will tell you whether it's the cache at fault or not. The folder you're looking to move is Bridge CS4 and all subfolders within it. This folder is located at Users/username/Library/Caches/Adobe/. When you relocate the folder and relaunch Bridge  a completely new cache will be generated from scratch. If this procedure fixes the problem you're good to go again, but if it doesn't then simply delete the new Bridge CS4 folder and drag the old version back.

                  • 6. Re: Bridge & Cache Errors - CS4
                    LRK 2 MeganK

                    Ian Lyons wrote:

                     

                    If purging the cache the official way doesn't fix the problem cache then temporarily moving your Bridge cache out of its normal home is worth a try. If nothing else it will tell you whether it's the cache at fault or not. The folder you're looking to move is Bridge CS4 and all subfolders within it. This folder is located at Users/username/Library/Caches/Adobe/. When you relocate the folder and relaunch Bridge  a completely new cache will be generated from scratch. If this procedure fixes the problem you're good to go again, but if it doesn't then simply delete the new Bridge CS4 folder and drag the old version back.

                     

                    Ian,

                     

                    Removing the Adobe Cache folder seems to have worked. No more errors. I tested it by loading some images, quitting and relaunching Bridge. It seems to be working right now.

                     

                    Thanks very much!

                     

                    Linda

                    • 7. Re: Bridge & Cache Errors - CS4
                      Ramón G Castañeda Community Member

                      Ian Lyons wrote:

                       

                      …The Purge command that I referred to is the command found under the Bridge Tools>Cache sub menu not the Purge Cache command found in the preferences panel…

                       

                      Correct!

                       

                      Bridge_CS4_cache_prefs.jpg

                       

                      Of course, if the user is engaging in the lunacy of being set to a Central Cache rather to Distributed Folders ("Automatically Export Cache to Folders When Possible"), then that person has the choice of removing the Bridge cache folder menu as per your instructions, as the Purge Cache command in the Tools menu would be useless in that unfortunate case.

                      • 8. Re: Bridge & Cache Errors - CS4
                        A.C.Hardester Community Member

                        The problem identified in this Post from May 2009 was the same as mine, and the solution provided solved my problem, too.  Thank you.  But now I have on my Desktop the Bridge CS4 folder that  I moved out of Library>Caches>Adobe.  Do I just throw it away?  I assume the answer is YES.  I can move it onto an External just in case, but would rather not take up the space if I don't need to.  Thank you to anyone who can clarify this.

                         

                        Celeste  

                        • 9. Re: Bridge & Cache Errors - CS4
                          Omke Oudeman Community Member

                          But now I have on my Desktop the Bridge CS4 folder that  I moved out of

                          Library>Caches>Adobe.  Do I just throw it away?  I assume the answer is YES.

                           

                           

                          Yes, the answer is YES

                           

                          You can only have one cache file active in Bridge, that is in the user

                          library cache folder.

                           

                          Having replaced it with a fresh one means you have already cached the files

                          in the new cache folder, the old folder is therefore not needed anymore and

                          best been thrown away to make space on your disk.

                           

                          Refreshing cache does nothing harmful to your original files in Bridge, only

                          cache for previews and settings needs to be redone and this only cost time,

                          no more no less

                          • 10. Re: Bridge & Cache Errors - CS4
                            A.C.Hardester Community Member

                            Thank you so much, for the answer, and the explanation.

                            • 11. Re: Bridge & Cache Errors - CS4
                              SergeB1975 Community Member

                              Same problem, but what if in my Windows7 there is no Library in C:/Users/use

                              rname ???

                              • 12. Re: Bridge & Cache Errors - CS4
                                anthonyasael

                                I have also Windows 7 and I cannot find the Cache Folder under Library. Does someone know where it is ?

                                 

                                best,

                                Anthony

                                • 13. Re: Bridge & Cache Errors - CS4
                                  Omke Oudeman Community Member

                                  I have also Windows 7 and I cannot find the Cache Folder under Library.

                                   

                                   

                                  There is a dedicated Windows forum for Bridge where you will be better of

                                  with questions like these. Not many users in this forum are acquainted with

                                  Windows I'm afraid

                                   

                                  Meanwhile there is a knowledge base article that provides the solution for

                                  both OS, try this link:

                                   

                                  http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/332/332992.html

                                   

                                  A copy of the phrase you are probably looking for:

                                   

                                  For Bridge CS3 and later:

                                   

                                  Delete the entire contents of the Cache folder located at C:\Documents and

                                  Settings\ [user] \Application Data\Adobe\Bridge CS[#] .

                                  Delete the "!!Last.workspace" file located at C:\Documents and Settings\

                                  \Application Data\Adobe\Bridge CS[#] \Workspaces.

                                  Delete the following registry key:

                                  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Bridge CS[#] \Preference