• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge & Cache Errors - CS4

Engaged ,
May 30, 2009 May 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting errors when I launch Bridge saying "Bridge encountered a problem and is unable to read the cache. Please try purging the central cache in Cache Preferences to correct the situation".

I purge the cache but the message keeps coming back. I tried deleting the Bridge Preference file but still keeps happening.

No doubt it's something wrong on my computer. Always seems to be the case when I post a problem. But I thought I'd post just in case there is a solution.

Mac G5 Quad - OS 10.4.11 - 12 GB RAM - 2 internal TB Drives with plenty of free space

Linda

Added Note: Thought it might be relevant to mention that I also use Lightroom 2 on this setup, just in case the two programs are conflicting.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 30, 2009 May 30, 2009

If purging the cache the official way doesn't fix the problem cache then temporarily moving your Bridge cache out of its normal home is worth a try. If nothing else it will tell you whether it's the cache at fault or not. The folder you're looking to move is Bridge CS4 and all subfolders within it. This folder is located at Users/username/Library/Caches/Adobe/. When you relocate the folder and relaunch Bridge  a completely new cache will be generated from scratch. If this procedure fixes the pro

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linda,

Bridge and Lightroom do not share a cache, so it's unlikely that this is the source of your problem. In the past, errors such as you describe, especially those that refuse to clear when the main cache is purged from within Bridge preferences, are due to the presence of a corrupt distributed cache (i.e. two hidden files in each folder).

You haven't mentioned whether you use a distributed cache, but if you do then it will be necessary to use the Purge Cache for Folder "XXX" command. This command can be found under the Tools>Cache menu. However, before using this command it would be wise to disable the distributed cache option in Bridge preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian Lyons wrote:

Linda,

Bridge and Lightroom do not share a cache, so it's unlikely that this is the source of your problem. In the past, errors such as you describe, especially those that refuse to clear when the main cache is purged from within Bridge preferences, are due to the presence of a corrupt distributed cache (i.e. two hidden files in each folder).

You haven't mentioned whether you use a distributed cache, but if you do then it will be necessary to use the Purge Cache for Folder "XXX" command. This command can be found under the Tools>Cache menu. However, before using this command it would be wise to disable the distributed cache option in Bridge preferences.

Hi Ian,

Thank you for responding.

I have been doing the Purge Cache command with no luck.

I could not find "Disable the distributed cache option in Bridge preferences" so I tried searching for it in Help but nothing came up about it.

I'm sure it must be staring me in the face but I just don't see it.

Linda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linda,

Distributed cache is the name Adobe used up until CS3 at which point they decided not to bother giving it a name at all. The screenshot shown below is how you want the cache preference to be set.

The Purge command that I referred to is the command found under the Bridge Tools>Cache sub menu not the Purge Cache command found in the preferences panel shown below.

disable-distributed-cache.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian Lyons wrote:

Linda,

Distributed cache is the name Adobe used up until CS3 at which point they decided not to bother giving it a name at all. The screenshot shown below is how you want the cache preference to be set.

The Purge command that I referred to is the command found under the Bridge Tools>Cache sub menu not the Purge Cache command found in the preferences panel shown below.

disable-distributed-cache.png

Thank you for the screen shot and added info. I did have Export Cache deselected. I've done everything I'm supposed to but so far still having the same error message.

I seem to be a magnet for these problems. Problems seem to search me out and find me. Having other issues related to Dreamweaver CS4 on a fairly new MacBook Pro.

At least I can work from Lightroom, and I can probably even still work in Bridge, so at least this isn't disabling... just concerning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If purging the cache the official way doesn't fix the problem cache then temporarily moving your Bridge cache out of its normal home is worth a try. If nothing else it will tell you whether it's the cache at fault or not. The folder you're looking to move is Bridge CS4 and all subfolders within it. This folder is located at Users/username/Library/Caches/Adobe/. When you relocate the folder and relaunch Bridge  a completely new cache will be generated from scratch. If this procedure fixes the problem you're good to go again, but if it doesn't then simply delete the new Bridge CS4 folder and drag the old version back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian Lyons wrote:

If purging the cache the official way doesn't fix the problem cache then temporarily moving your Bridge cache out of its normal home is worth a try. If nothing else it will tell you whether it's the cache at fault or not. The folder you're looking to move is Bridge CS4 and all subfolders within it. This folder is located at Users/username/Library/Caches/Adobe/. When you relocate the folder and relaunch Bridge  a completely new cache will be generated from scratch. If this procedure fixes the problem you're good to go again, but if it doesn't then simply delete the new Bridge CS4 folder and drag the old version back.

Ian,

Removing the Adobe Cache folder seems to have worked. No more errors. I tested it by loading some images, quitting and relaunching Bridge. It seems to be working right now.

Thanks very much!

Linda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2010 Dec 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, but what if in my Windows7 there is no Library in C:/Users/use

rname ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2011 Jan 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also Windows 7 and I cannot find the Cache Folder under Library. Does someone know where it is ?

best,

Anthony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jan 08, 2011 Jan 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have also Windows 7 and I cannot find the Cache Folder under Library.

There is a dedicated Windows forum for Bridge where you will be better of

with questions like these. Not many users in this forum are acquainted with

Windows I'm afraid

Meanwhile there is a knowledge base article that provides the solution for

both OS, try this link:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/332/332992.html

A copy of the phrase you are probably looking for:

For Bridge CS3 and later:

Delete the entire contents of the Cache folder located at C:\Documents and

Settings\ [user] \Application Data\Adobe\Bridge CS[#] .

Delete the "!!Last.workspace" file located at C:\Documents and Settings\

\Application Data\Adobe\Bridge CS[#] \Workspaces.

Delete the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Bridge CS[#] \Preference

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian Lyons wrote:

…The Purge command that I referred to is the command found under the Bridge Tools>Cache sub menu not the Purge Cache command found in the preferences panel…

Correct!

Bridge_CS4_cache_prefs.jpg

Of course, if the user is engaging in the lunacy of being set to a Central Cache rather to Distributed Folders ("Automatically Export Cache to Folders When Possible"), then that person has the choice of removing the Bridge cache folder menu as per your instructions, as the Purge Cache command in the Tools menu would be useless in that unfortunate case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2010 Jun 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem identified in this Post from May 2009 was the same as mine, and the solution provided solved my problem, too.  Thank you.  But now I have on my Desktop the Bridge CS4 folder that  I moved out of Library>Caches>Adobe.  Do I just throw it away?  I assume the answer is YES.  I can move it onto an External just in case, but would rather not take up the space if I don't need to.  Thank you to anyone who can clarify this.

Celeste  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jun 20, 2010 Jun 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But now I have on my Desktop the Bridge CS4 folder that  I moved out of

Library>Caches>Adobe.  Do I just throw it away?  I assume the answer is YES.

Yes, the answer is YES

You can only have one cache file active in Bridge, that is in the user

library cache folder.

Having replaced it with a fresh one means you have already cached the files

in the new cache folder, the old folder is therefore not needed anymore and

best been thrown away to make space on your disk.

Refreshing cache does nothing harmful to your original files in Bridge, only

cache for previews and settings needs to be redone and this only cost time,

no more no less

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2010 Jun 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, for the answer, and the explanation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines