6 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2009 4:05 AM by joshtownsend

VOB Import on 4.1: the future is here!

mustbebelize Level 1

About 5 years ago, I was reading DV Magazine on a flight to Fort Lauderdale.  The topic was about the possibility of re-editing DVDs and vob files.  Check out the article at http://www.dv.com/article/17150.

I'd always have to recapture files from a DVD via component or composite input which means you had to have a external capture device. (At variuos points, I figured they'd come up with a smart firewire throughput for DVD devices for external control to capture files.)  This is even better - direct import to timeline.  I gotta tell you, putting in a DVD and importing a vob file to the timeline is a milestone in digital technology.

• 1. Re: VOB Import on 4.1: the future is here!
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This feature seems to work pretty well with DVD's authored in Encore. With some other programs and devices - well, YMMV.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS PrElements has had this for some versions now. It seems to have many of the potential limitations observed on this forum so far.

• 2. Re: VOB Import on 4.1: the future is here!
            mustbebelize Level 1

"This feature seems to work pretty well with DVD's authored in Encore. With some other programs and devices - well, YMMV."

I picked up a DVD that I'd made about 6 years ago to be sure.  It was shot with a Sony DSR 250, edited with Premiere and authored with either DVD Workshop or maybe it was DVDit!  it worked great!

I've never used PrElements.  Of course, there have been many applications that would convert vob to avi for some time but I thought the output quality was poor.  What kind of limitations are you refering to?

• 3. Re: VOB Import on 4.1: the future is here!
              Jim_Simon Level 8

I gotta tell you, putting in a DVD and importing a vob file to the timeline is a milestone in digital technology.

Man, that's not even a stepping stone (unless you like going backwards on the quality scale).

• 4. Re: VOB Import on 4.1: the future is here!
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Great. It sounds like that other authoring app. did a nice job of things.

Over time, it'll be interesting to see the list of programs that did things "by the specs," and some that did not.

So far, one user has experienced problems with a DVD from what I think was a VHS to DVD deck. Some of those have a menuing option that might not do things quite up to spec.

Good luck, and keep the reports coming,

Hunt

• 5. Re: VOB Import on 4.1: the future is here!
                  Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Well I tried a problem DVD that against my better judgement I had agreed to work with it for a good friend.  It was a 16 minute video, I pulled out the 0.5 GB VOB file and imported it into Premiere Pro 4.1 and it came out as a truncated 12 second clip.  I then renamed it to MPG and imported it to AME and transcoded to DV AVI which worked fine (full 16 minute) in the timeline. 

• 6. Re: VOB Import on 4.1: the future is here!
                    joshtownsend Level 2

JSS1138 wrote:

I gotta tell you, putting in a DVD and importing a vob file to the timeline is a milestone in digital technology.

Man, that's not even a stepping stone (unless you like going backwards on the quality scale).

I agree with Jim.

I saw 'The future is here and dvd' and smirked.    

The only use I would have for that feature would:

a) If I wanted to re-edit Pulp Fiction in chronological order

or

b) If I was watching a movie and wanted to see how many frames are in each cut the director made. I've done that before actually. Learn alot by putting a movie in a timeline. Actually did that with Slumdog Millionaire few weeks ago to see how the edited the opening with the kids.

c) Now we can use AE to really do a good job getting rid of the watermark on those Oscar DVD screeners before uploading the torrent