21 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2009 8:41 PM by Jim_Simon

Combining two video feeds into one

Badmuts001

Hello,

I have a question. I am completely new to CS4 so sorry if the question is silly or has been asked before.

I am going to film with 2 HDV (Sony HXR-MC1P HD Mini Camera System) camera's soon , that will produce two seperate video streams.

I would like to combine those 2 HDV quality streams to 1 stream and make the 2 feeds as a left and right panel combined to 1 stream, off course with no quality loss.

Is that possible in CS4, and how is that done ?

I hope you can guide me in the right direction.

regards Chris

• 1. Re: Combining two video feeds into one
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Capture the video from both cameras. Let's say you put everything from camera 1 on track 1 and everything from camera 2 on track 2. You then use the motion effect to scale and position the clips from track 1 where you want them (say the left side) and repeat that for track 2, but then put it on the right side.

• 2. Re: Combining two video feeds into one
            Badmuts001 Level 1

Hello Harm Goedenavond,

Aha, so i need the motion effect, that's a good advice, i will experiment with that.

Thanks for the quick answer.

best regards,

Chris

• 3. Re: Combining two video feeds into one
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Depending on the framing of the images in the two cameras, you might also find that the Crop Effect will help you in addition to Harm's suggestion to use Motion>Scale and Position. You will most likely apply this to the Clip on Video Track 2.

Note: with these Effects, you will have a straight hard edge between the two Clips.

i will experiment with that.

That is the best thing that you can do. Harm has pointed you in the right direction. See if you are obtaining the look that you want. What you will be doing is a PiP (Picture in Picture). Often one will see this term used with one image is inside another, like the little clips running to the side of a TV news cast. In your case you are doing a split-screen, but it's really the same thing - just a different design.

As there are many more ways of doing this to yield different looks, do not hesitate to attach a screen-cap showing what you have (include a view of the Effects Control Panel with all settings twirled down), and then tell us how you'd like to change that.

I think you will get exactly what you want with Motion Effect, but cannot be sure.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Combining two video feeds into one
                Jim_Simon Level 8

off course with no quality loss.

That part may be a bit of a catch.  In oder to see both cams side by side, you'll have to scale them.  Any such action will affect quality.

• 5. Re: Combining two video feeds into one
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, that could be an issue. However, if one shot with the proper framing, basically leaving the right side of one frame empty (as it'll be offscreen, when offset) and the opposite for the other footage, only Motion>Position would be needed. Scripting the shoot properly could go a long way to keeping the quality up.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Combining two video feeds into one
                    Badmuts001 Level 1

Hello Jim, Hello Bill,

Thanks for your help. I will tell you when i have some succes/failure after testing with your advice, thanks!

Best regards,

Chris

• 7. Re: Combining two video feeds into one
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Chris,

Good luck. Remember that there can be several ways to get what one wants. So far, everyone has touched on the most simple and probably the most usable ways to end up with what we think you want. If there is more, that needs to be done after you experiment, come back and define what you'd like changed. Again, a screen-cap with as much detail as you can add, will help others see and know exactly what you need.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Combining two video feeds into one
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

if one shot with the proper framing

A valid point, assuming one doesn't need to see the entire frame.

• 9. Re: Combining two video feeds into one
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Something that I have done to help in a situation like this is to use a Cokin® UV filter (relative inexpensive) and then scribe a line about the center, biased slightly beyond the half-way point. For the opposite shot, this is flipped. Because of DOF, it's usually not seen clearly in the footage, and is also "cropped" out by the other footage. The camera operator can see the line as a framing element. If I had much PiP to do, and wanted to do the framing in-camera, I'd pick up a bunch of these and scribe for a 2x2 matrix, and similar. Half-frame is easier, as you can cover any part of this scribed line, should it show at all. Going to a 2x2, you'd want shallow DOF, or you will still have to do some Scaling to make sure that you're clear of this/these lines.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Combining two video feeds into one
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

use a Cokin® UV filter (relative inexpensive) and then scribe a line about the center

Bill, that is an excellent idea for creating widescreen framing guides as well.  Thank you for the suggestion.

• 11. Re: Combining two video feeds into one
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

You are most welcome. Considering the times that you've helped me out, I'd guess that I was only about 5,000 tips behind.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Combining two video feeds into one
                                Powered by Design Level 4

Those are odd camera choices.  What are you going to shoot that needs split frame ?

I have an older Intel P4 single core with hyperthreading and cant edit HDV with CS4 with 3MB ram.

my system is a 3.4 MHz

make sure you system can handle HDV well.  I can edit SD all day long just fine.  I shoot all video in HDV then downconvert inside my camera to get SD .avi

everyone else already said how to move and resize the shoots.

Good luck

• 13. Re: Combining two video feeds into one
                                  Badmuts001 Level 1

Hello again,

I am back, this time with more of the same question.

I have been succesfull in taping 2 seperate feeds and i have experimented succesfully with all of your suggestions, using the effects to make a 1920x1080 film containing 2 feeds. The picture in picture effect worked fine.

But now the real challenge for all of you CS4 fans out there, how can i produce a 3840x2160 movie of those feeds containing 2 feeds of each 1920x1080 pixels ??

Looking forward to your advice

regards.

Chris

• 14. Re: Combining two video feeds into one
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Chris,

Make a new desktop sequence with these rather strange dimensions, 3840 x 2160. (Why these odd dimensions and how do you plan to display these?). Nest your sequences in the new sequence, use the motion/position effect to position the first nested sequence where you want it, then do the same with the other nested sequence to move it to the other side.

If you look here, http://vimeo.com/1954849 this is where I have done something similar with SD material in a HD frame.

PS. Je hebt de vraag wel als beantwoord gekenmerkt, maar geen punten uitgedeeld voor het correcte antwoord. Ik houd mij aanbevolen.

• 15. Re: Combining two video feeds into one
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                      how can i produce a 3840x2160 movie of those feeds containing 2 feeds of each 1920x1080 pixels ??

Side by side would double only the horizontal resolution, not the vertical.  One on top of the other would double only the vertical, not the horizintal.

• 16. Re: Combining two video feeds into one
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        how can i produce a 3840x2160 movie of those feeds containing 2 feeds of each 1920x1080 pixels ??

Chris,

I too am interested in hearing about your intended delivery for this size of Project. What are you going to do with the files?

Maybe I am about to learn something here.

Hunt

• 17. Re: Combining two video feeds into one
                                          Badmuts001 Level 1

Hello again,

Thanks for your help Harm. I will try this coming month (will be out of area for a while).

And thanks Jim for your suggestion about the horizontal and vertical sollution.
                                          This makes me think of how to keep the resolution in all dimensions.

The reason what i am going to do with these files is try to emulate 3D vision, there is still a long way of experimenting ahead though.

Thanks for your help and i will check in next month if i have success with Harm's suggestion.

regards Chris

• 18. Re: Combining two video feeds into one
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                                            try to emulate 3D vision

That sounds more like a horizontal doubling only.

• 19. Re: Combining two video feeds into one
                                              Badmuts001 Level 1

Hello Harm,

Making a new desktop sequence with the dimensions 3840 x 2160 was no problem, but i am such a novice in Premiere that i have no idea what to do next. Can you advice me  how to "Nest your sequences in the new sequence, use the motion/position effect to position the first nested sequence where you want it, then do the same with the other nested sequence to move it to the other side."   ???

Thanks for your help.

regards Chris
                                              • 20. Re: Combining two video feeds into one
                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Chris,

You now have a custom sequence with 3840 x 2160 dimensions, as well as the original sequences with 1920 x 1080 resolution. One contains all material from the first camera (called sequence 1), the other from the second camera (called sequence 2).

First step,  activate your new sequence and drag your sequence 1 from the project window to the timeline of your new sequence. Go to motion/position in the effects control window and move the position from 1920/1080 to 960/1080 X/Y values. This will effectively move the image to the left side of the screen.

Now drag sequence 2 to the timeline and make the position 2880/1080 to move it to the right side of the screen. That is all there is to it. Experiment with different values to see what it does.

• 21. Re: Combining two video feeds into one
                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

sequence with the dimensions 3840 x 2160

Is that really what you need?  To combine two HD feeds side by side, it would end up as 3840 x 1080.  Only the horizontal dimension will double as you place the clips next to each other.  The vertical dimension should remain unchanged.