8 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2009 2:55 PM by fredou_79

Time and clip duration not the same ???

fredou_79 Level 1

I got a clip with 3 correction layer above of same lenght and I toggle from one another and they shows 9;09 in info all excepts video clip which shows 9;10, but on timeline they are same lenght and show in info same In and Out TC. Also, when I go in Time by right-clicking clip, Time indicates 9;09.

As my AE smoke dope or is this known bug?

Which do I trust in ?

The Cs4 on the machine in updated to last patch and has Cineform ProspectHD on it.

• 1. Re: Time and clip duration not the same ???
          yenaphe Level 4

If you clip is 9:10 in lenght, it's last frame will be 9:09 because the first frame is actually 0:00 and not 0:01.

If you change the time format to frame, you will see everything in sync in frame count.

• 2. Re: Time and clip duration not the same ???
            fredou_79 Level 1

The TC that is the same is the start and end point on timeline, meaning they would be same lenght...

On those layers only 1 is media, the 3 other are ajustements layers.

All are visually the same lenght say they are 9;09, except the video clip which says it is 9;10: that is in info; cause in Time Stretch, it's time is 9;09.

I'm not sure I follow your post Sébastien.

Thank you for your interest.

• 3. Re: Time and clip duration not the same ???
              TimeRemapper Level 4

I think that what Sébastien was indicating is that your timeline starts at "0;00;00;00".

It doesn't start at "0;00;00;01".

In a similar example, if you count from 0 to 9, you're actually counting out 10 seconds.

As such, your footage in the project lists the correct duration.

And, your footage in the timeline is also the correct duration, but the counter starts at "0" not "1".

If it's really bothering you, you could go to the following menu item: "Comopsition > Composition Settings", and set your "Start Timecode" to be: "0;00;00;01".

• 4. Re: Time and clip duration not the same ???
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There's no bug here. If you go to the end of the clip in AE you'll be at the last frame. Go 1 more frame and you'll be at the end of the clip. This is where the confusion comes. If you were butting together to clips in AE then the first frame of the second clip would start when the preceding clip ends, IOW at the end of the clip.

Dropping a clip in an empty timeline or dragging it into the new composition icon creates a composition exactly the same length as the clip, but the frame number of the last frame is one less than the length of the comp.

Maybe the confusion arises because you're not counting bananas, you are measuring time. 60 bananas are 60 bananas because you started with a banana, but 60 seconds is a minute because you started with no seconds. The last second in a minute is the 59th second. When that second is over the minute is up.

In Premiere, or any other NLE, when you go to the end of a clip you don't see that clips last frame, you go to the first frame of the next clip. This makes sense because you wouldn't want to overlap the clips by 1 frame. When you go to the end of a comp you see the last frame, but the frame number is one less than the length of the composition. This also makes sense because you wouldn't want to the render to have one blank frame at the end of the movie.

I hope this clears things up.

• 5. Re: Time and clip duration not the same ???
                  yenaphe Level 4

Think of the timeline as a birthday calendar.

When a baby got 1year old, his birthday is in fact on the first day of his second year, when he celebrates his 2years old, he is in fact starting his first day of his third year, and so on....

So your first frame birth is at 0:00;00 and when it reach 0:00:01, it's in fact your second frame birth, and so on...

• 6. Re: Time and clip duration not the same ???
                    fredou_79 Level 1

I understand that priciple, coming from an NLE backgroundI had difficulties with it at first to adapt my workflow of doing things.

The 4 layers are not starting at TC 00;00;00;00 but are in the middle of a 671 layers projects; layers 450 to 454.

Maybe I'm not understanding right you explanations or maybe I'm making myself understood wrong, so I'll break down facts:

All 4 layers starts at TC 0;12;31;12 and ends at 0;12;40;20, that is visually in Sequence (when I hit I and O) and in Info panel when I select each of the layers.

In Info Panel I also see that layer 450 to 453 are 9;09 long but that 454 is 9;10.

Layers 450 to 453 are adjustments layers and 454 is a video layer.

Also, when I check with Time/Time stretch... I see that the layer is 9;09 long.

I've checked a copy paste version of those layers that is right under (layer 455 to 458) and adjustment layers and video layer are same length and same TC and same time unit length.

Thank you for your time and interest.

• 7. Re: Time and clip duration not the same ???
                      fredou_79 Level 1

just to add that this occurs after the video layer has been Time stretched to 9;09.

It's doing this to me on several other layers. Info panel is always listing 1 frame more than all other places show.

• 8. Re: Time and clip duration not the same ???
                        fredou_79 Level 1

Just understood how it works.

By click selecting layer then deselecting before selecting next one I saw change in TC listing which correlates to what you described; this I didn't see when I just selected a layer then clicked on another one to select it.

Thank you very much.