16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2009 1:30 PM by the_wine_snob

PE Projects won't open

slow_eddie

Can't open stored PE Projects anymore.  Get message "File format not supported/One of the necessary components may not have been installed."

• 1. Re: PE Projects won't open
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Eddie,

Please tell us more about your Project, its Assets (the media files) and also your computer system. It is likely that something has corrupted a CODEC, that you once had, or has changed its priority.

Any new hardware or software, since you last opened these Projects?

Also, look over the info in this LINK. If you do not have G-Spot, follow the link and drag one of your media files to it. You, and we, will learn much, and probably unlock your problem.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE Projects won't open
            slow_eddie Level 1

Hunt,

My PE2 saved Projects consist of video clips from my digital still camera

plus some pictures put together into a slide show with Photo Shop

Elements 4, then saved as PE Projects.  I agree something has changed or

been deleted, but there have been no changes to HW or SW since the

Projects last worked.

I've gone to G-Spot and had it analyze one of the Projects and get the

following message:

Rendering failed.  Following is the error reported by DirectShow.

OX80040111:[unknown]

Ed

On Sat, 30 May 2009 20:22:56 -0600 the_wine_snob <forums@adobe.com>

writes:

Eddie,

Please tell us more about your Project, its Assets (the media files)

and also your computer system. It is likely that something has

corrupted a CODEC, that you once had, or has changed its priority.

Any new hardware or software, since you last opened these Projects?

Also, look over the info in this /thread/440037?tstart=0. If you

do not have G-Spot, follow the link and drag one of your media files

to it. You, and we, will learn much, and probably unlock your

problem.

Good luck,

Hunt

>

• 3. Re: PE Projects won't open
              Kodebuster Level 3

The error Ox80040111 from DirectShow indicates that it cannot decode the current file format (it either never could, or if it did in the past, it no longer can).

If it did work in the past, chances are it's a system codec issue, or the video file somehow got damaged.

Pass the video file to GSpot and see if it lists the correct spec's for the video file.

If things worked in the past with PE, you can try a Repair on PE.

(Just re-run Install and when prompted for Repair, let it run to completion)...

• 4. Re: PE Projects won't open
                Paul_LS Level 4

Could be you no longer have the codec on your system, or Premiere Elements can no longer access the codec for the video format from your stills camera. As well as repairing Premiere Elements you could try reloading the software that came with your camera. It is probably MJPEG format, if these do not work you may need to load a free MJPEG codec.

• 5. Re: PE Projects won't open
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'd recommend you not try to edit the MJPEG codec in Premiere Elements. It rarely works, even if you install the codec on your system.

Better to convert the files to DV-AVI using MovieMaker before importing them into Premiere Elements, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 6. Re: PE Projects won't open
                    slow_eddie Level 1

I've gone to G-Spot and had it analyze one of the Projects and get the

following message:

Rendering failed.  Following is the error reported by DirectShow.

OX80040111:[unknown]

G-Spot does not give the correct spec, it doesn't give any info other

than the error message.

Since my saved PE Projects would run in the past, I tried Repairing PE,

and it didn't help and then I un installed it and re installed it, but it

still doesn't run PE Projects.

Ed

On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 19:19:26 -0600 Kodebuster <forums@adobe.com> writes:

The error Ox80040111 from DirectShow most likely indicates that

Directshow cannot decode the current file format (it either never

could, or if it did in the past, it no longer can).

If it did work in the past, chances are it's a system codec issue,

or the video file somehow got damaged.

Pass the file to GSpot and see if lists the correct spec's for the

video file.

If things worked in the past with PE, you try a Repair on PE.

(Just re-run Install and when prompted for Repair, let it run to

completion)...

>

• 7. Re: PE Projects won't open
                      slow_eddie Level 1

Steve,

I tried converting a clip in Movie Maker and it runs fine in PE.  However

when I save it as a PE Project it won't run when I open it in PE, either

to edit or to preview before burning to DVD.

Ed

On Fri, 05 Jun 2009 06:20:45 -0600 SteveGrisetti <forums@adobe.com>

writes:

I'd recommend you not try to edit the MJPEG codec in Premiere

Elements. It rarely works, even if you install the codec on your

system.

Better to convert the files to DV-AVI using MovieMaker before

importing them into Premiere Elements, per the FAQs to the right of

this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

>

• 8. Re: PE Projects won't open
                        Paul_LS Level 4

Hi Ed, I am a little unclear, did you look at the project file in GSpot? GSpot analyzes your video files not the .prel project file.

You also said you converted your video in Movie Maker and then imported it into PE7. You then say "...when I save it as a PE Project it won't run when I open it in PE". So are you saying when you re-open the project it (the project) will not open. Or is it that the converted video will not play in PE7 after re-opening the project.

• 9. Re: PE Projects won't open
                          slow_eddie Level 1

Paul,

I looked at .prel project file in GSpot as that is what won't play in PE

What I meant is that the converted file plays fine, but when I save it as

a Project, as after editing, and then open it again as a project, it

doesn't play.

Ed

On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 15:58:54 -0600 Paul_LS <forums@adobe.com> writes:

Hi Ed, I am a little unclear, did you look at the project file in

GSpot? GSpot analyzes your video files not the .prel project file.

You also said you converted your video in Movie Maker and then

imported it into PE7. You then say "...when I save it as a PE

Project it won't run when I open it in PE". So are you saying when

you re-open the project it (the project) will not open. Or is it

that the converted video will not play in PE7 after re-opening the

project.

>

• 10. Re: PE Projects won't open
                            Paul_LS Level 4

The .prel file does not "Play" it is an xml file that has pointers to all your clips and is a "library" of your edits. When you open your project it effectively "references" the .prel project file placing the clips on the timeline and places your edits, effects etc. For example if you double click a .prel file, PE7 will open and will display the project that the .prel file is associated with.

So when you open your project. You can see the converted video file on the timeline, can you see the video in the monitor window? When you press the play button... what happens.

• 11. Re: PE Projects won't open
                              slow_eddie Level 1

Thanks for staying with me.

When I open a .prel file I see it in the Timeline and in the monitor.

When I press the Play button nothing happens, but I accidently waited

more than a minute and it started to play, but both video and audio were

very choppy.

I opened Task Manager and found System Idle Process at 98% to 99% and CPU

usage about 8%.  Is something else running?  Task Manager does not show

another application running.

Also, sometimes in the lower right corner of PE a blue bar slowly moves

from left to right and it's titled Generating Peak File for xxx.avi.

What's that?

Ed

On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 16:29:01 -0600 Paul_LS <forums@adobe.com> writes:

The .prel file does not "Play" it is an xml file that has pointers to

all your clips and is a "library" of your edits. When you open your

project it effectively "references" the .prel project file placing

the clips on the timeline and places your edits, effects etc. For

example if you double click a .prel file, PE7 will open and will

display the project that the .prel file is associated with.

So when you open your project. You can see the converted video file

on the timeline, can you see the video in the monitor window? When

you press the play button... what happens.

>

• 12. Re: PE Projects won't open
                                Paul_LS Level 4

OK, it sounds like Premiere Elements is processing the video file before it plays it... generating peak means it is generating the audio waveform that is shown on the timeline. As it is not a DV-AVI file it may also be also be conforming it etc... does it say anything else other than generating peak?

How long is your video file? If it is long duration it can take some time to generate the peak file etc, especially if your processor is not very fast.

What are your computer specs. You need to wait until these processors are finished before PE will play the file. Next time you open the project it will be quicker as these temporary files are stored on your computer.

The jerky playback of video and audio is because the video is not DV-AVI. There will probably be a red line above it in the timeline. If you hit the Enter key on your keyboard the video will be rendered, the red line will turn green and the video will playback smoothly. However this rendering will take some time if your clip is long and/or your computer is not very powerful.

• 13. Re: PE Projects won't open
                                  Paul_LS Level 4

I forgot you converted it in Movie Maker. Did you convert it to DV-AVI? If so it will be type 1 not type 2 that PE prefers. The audio is encoded in the file differently between the two types. Your best bet would be to use DVDate http://paul.glagla.free.fr/dvdate_en.htm to convert the DV-AVI type 1 to type 2 (or use it to convert your original file straight to DV-AVI type 2). It is a very quick process and does not impact the quality. If you do this then when you use the file in PE it will start to play very quickly.

• 14. Re: PE Projects won't open
                                    slow_eddie Level 1

From your last emails; your comment that PE only points to files reminded

me that I have the files on my slow, 5400 rpm, almost full HD and PE and

Projects are on an added 7200 rpm almost empty HD. I thought that when I

was saving a project all the files were being saved on the faster drive,

but I understand that they are still on my slower drive.  I moved the

files to the faster drive and the jerky playback has essentially gone

away.

My PC is a Pentium 4, about 2.5GHz with 1G memory, the most it will

support.  The C drive is 70G with about 7.5G free space and the added

drive G is 190G with about 176G free space.

When I converted files with Movie Maker they went to DV-AVI type 1.

Using DVDate I converted to them to type 2, which speeded up Play

considerably.

Thanks to you I've made a lot of progress and have only a question left.

When I want to open a Project by clicking on Open Project in the opening

window, a list of PE Projects opens.  When I select one, another window

opens titled "Where is the File

"Rendered-4bc1b4e4-cf83-4194-8561-d9fedb37555a.AVI"? with nothing to

select.  I click on Cancel and the Project is loading and needs

rendering.  After rendering it plays fine.  Is there something else I

should do?

Ed

On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 04:18:37 -0600 Paul_LS <forums@adobe.com> writes:

I forgot you converted it in Movie Maker. Did you convert it to

DV-AVI? If so it will be type 1 not type 2 that PE prefers. The

audio is encoded in the file differently between the two types. Your

best bet would be to use DVDate

http://paul.glagla.free.fr/dvdate_en.htm to convert the DV-AVI type

1 to type 2. It is a very quick process and does not impact the

quality. If you do this then when you use the file in PE it will

start to play very quickly.

>

• 15. Re: PE Projects won't open
                                      Paul_LS Level 4

The rendered files are temporary files generated when you hit the Enter key to render the timeline. Sounds like PE can not find them... this is probably something to do with you moving your project files around. You need to point PE to the location where they initially were... probably same location but another drive letter. However once you have rendered them PE should be able to find them next time.

• 16. Re: PE Projects won't open
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

If PE is asking for the Render files, they will have names that are basically long strings of numerical characters, and have the .AVI extension. They should be located where you set them, in your Scratch Disks. Look at Edit>Preferences>Scratch Disks and see what the setting for that Project is. That should give you a starting place.

Good luck,

Hunt