5 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2009 10:27 AM by Tolouse RSS

Authoring on tablet PC --y/n??

Tolouse

I wish to replace my desktop replacement with a tablet PC!

I have visions of Cintique-like functionality yet portable majesty...

But the graphics cards on these machines are total crap. 

However, some graphics card models claim to steal memory from the RAM, so in theory if I soup up the RAM I have a really powerful graphics card?

Anybody out there author on a tablet PC?  I'm running Flash CS3, and must make my decision soon!

An exmaple PC for those unfamiliar: http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store &category=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=Ultra-Portable&series_name=tx2z_series

• 1. Re: Authoring on tablet PC --y/n??
          kglad CommunityMVP

i don't use a tablet pc, but i do run a mac virtualization on my pc (so i can code for the iphone) and because of a lack of video card drivers, i am stuck working in a 12 inch diagonal window when using my vitural mac.

and i hate it.  having that small a space to work in puts a severe crimp in my work-flow.

if you're used to working with that window size, then i have nothing to suggest.  but, if you're not used to working with that sized display, i strongly recommend trying it and imagine working with it for a few hours or for however long you usually work.

• 2. Re: Authoring on tablet PC --y/n??
            Tolouse Community Member

...That may coincide with the 10 to 12 inch diagonal seems to be the standard on these tablets...

I figure it would be worth the downsizing to be able to animate and color while on the train instead of aiting until I can hook into my KVM switch and acom tablet when I get home.

• 3. Re: Authoring on tablet PC --y/n??
              kglad CommunityMVP

you're going to draw on that while on a train?  isn't the train's motion going to make it difficult?

• 4. Re: Authoring on tablet PC --y/n??
                rmanjoney Community Member

I use Tablet PC's and I love them, however, there are a few compromises when using a Tablet as compared to your Cintiq (and to laptops/desktops in general). You may be off-put by the relatively low pressure sensitivity/resolution of Tablets for graphic applications (256 levels for all Tablet PC's that I know of, compared to 512 and up for dedicated graphics tablets and Cintiq).

HTH,

Bob

• 5. Re: Authoring on tablet PC --y/n??
                  Tolouse Community Member

My old solution for travel, since I didn't want to drag my 9 x 12 Intuous around town, and no sense buying a wireless Graphire if I can't use the wireless on a plane, was a $20 old "KB Gear" tablet with 512 levels of pressure I bought on E-bay.  Despite bumps, and the lower sensitivity, I produced a 5 minute animated music video while flying to and from a three day conference.  It was absolutely wonderful to get 10 hours of work done and come back without a workload waiting for me, despite the less accurate tablet requiring more frequent ctrl+z action.

Between the thoughts posted here and on another forum I'm phising for suggestions on, I think I'm going to go with an HP TX2Z tablet PC, downwgrade the sucker to "Windows XP tablet edition" and cram it full of ram to compensate for the cruddy video card memory.