6 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2009 5:09 PM by Dan Isaacs

Can you have a look at this video and give advice please?

scott mackenzie Level 1

Hi Guys,

Can you have a look at this video-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA0x3bQUW-g

I shot it for a friend at a hotel. Can you let me know if if works ok / stutters etc. on your computer.

I edited hdv pal / ppro cs3 then adobe media encoder to H 264 1280 x 720 25fps bitrate min 2 max 4. keyframes 25.

It looks pretty bad i think at the normal youtube. It looks a lot better when you hit the 'watch in hd' but begins to stutter.

Do you have any advice?

Many thanks

scott

• 1. Re: Can you have a look at this video and give advice please?
          Dan Isaacs Level 2

I see the same issues / stuttering you are seeing, I think. I don't really have any advice for you, but I know that others have complained about the uselessness of YouTube HD.

Perhaps you could try reducing the bitrate and/or increasing the keyframe distance?

• 2. Re: Can you have a look at this video and give advice please?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

First, thank you for doing a very nice piece. I'm a tad bit tired of the "in-your-face" skateboarding pieces. The young lady is also "easy on the eyes."

Second, I looked at the piece in both resolutions, and also after all buffering had completed. The only things that I saw were one Transition at about the 1/4 point that seemed to have about a 1-frame "glitch," or something. Two of the Titles also did not seem to fade-up/move-in at the same pace, or with the same smoothness as the others. Even looking at movement, like the flag (again near the 1/4 mark - sorry that I did not write down the exact TimeCode), I did not notice any stuttering. I'd better get this out of the way right now, I'm viewing on my laptop's 17" 1680x1050 nVidia GeForce 8800M GTX-512MB display, with full hardware acceleration.

Not sure what you, and Dan, are seeing. I'm usually a pretty critical observer, though might be missing something important. If you can give me a TimeCode and where, in the frame, you're both seeing the problems, I'll be glad to give it another go.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS I like the mood that both the visuals and music convey. My wife also made note of the URL, for our next trip to the UK in October.

• 3. Re: Can you have a look at this video and give advice please?
              scott mackenzie Level 1

Hi Dan & wine snob,

Thanks for the replies- I watched the HD version on my 'good fast' computer and it is not too bad (like you said wine snob)

I watched it on 'normal' computers with my friends/ internet cafes etc and it was pretty bad-stuttering etc.( not watchable)

Can anyone point out a video they have put on the net hdv edited in premiere etc that is fantastic quality?

I think I might ignore the HD version and encode it again .flv with on vp6.

Some people say they have good results from that!

Again, any advice would be welcome!

thanks

scott

• 4. Re: Can you have a look at this video and give advice please?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Scott,

I cannot help you there, as I do not on-line any of my Projects and have zero experience with the issues of doing so, and the problems with some of the streaming sites. Others, however, can probably point to some good examples and give you the specs of their Export/Uploads.

You might also want to look on the CS4 forum (we are in CS3, right?), and see if there are any useful comments on settings and things to avoid doing. There have been some questions on YouTube, but do not recall if these were HD, or not.

I know that Harm Millard (always in the CS4 forum, but often seen here too) has some work up on Vimeo that is HD, and has also had some unfavorable comments directed at YouTube and a few other streaming sites. Do not recall his actual complaints, however.

Good luck, and nice work,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Can you have a look at this video and give advice please?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I see slight stuttering even in SD mode.

• 6. Re: Can you have a look at this video and give advice please?
                    Dan Isaacs Level 2

Yes, there appears to be a 'glitch' at around 5 seconds into the clip, for example