5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2009 6:52 PM by bilgey

More on AME Crop/Scale operation

_dbk Level 1

If I set the crop on a source in AME to be numerically the same as the intended output the Output tab insists on either scaling or letter/pillar-boxing the output. I don't understand this. I really don't want to do any scaling while encoding, that's why I'm cropping the input.

Input source 720x486 QT Reference Movie

Crop Tool, Top: 6 pixels, PAR = None   [should result in a 720x480 source, which is what the Crop tooltip indicates]

Output tab insists that user must select either Scale or Black Borders

I'd have thought that 720x480 input to 720x480 output should necessitate neither scaling nor letter/pillar-boxing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

• 1. Re: More on AME Crop/Scale operation
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Did you try with 3 from the top and 3 from the bottom?  Or 4 from the top and 2 from the bottom or the other way arond?

• 2. Re: More on AME Crop/Scale operation
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Have you actually tried the Black Borders option?  It may be that because of the numbers, there won't be any black, despite the name of the option.

• 3. Re: More on AME Crop/Scale operation
              Jagannathan L Level 1

In CS4.1, if the source is 720X486 with 0.9/1.2 PAR and if the output is 720X480 with same PAR, then AME will implicitly crop 4 pixels from top and 2 from bottom without performing any scaling. The user should not explicitly enable crop (it will be taken care of by AME). This does not happen in releases before CS4.1 and was added in 4.1. Hope this helps.

• 4. Re: More on AME Crop/Scale operation
                _dbk Level 1

Thanks for the details, Jagannathan.

I appreciate the coders efforts to assist users but if functions are done automatically [I take "implicitly" to mean "automatically" and without informing the user] the user needs to know this so that what appears as an unexpected result is at least explained.

Thanks again.

• 5. Re: More on AME Crop/Scale operation
                  bilgey

The AME in CS4 is so poor ... the encode quality is awful and the functionality is crippled.

It is unfortunate that the usability of Premiere Pro has to deadend in such a disastrous fashion; one can edit in PPCS4 only to crash into a wall when it is time to encode using this garbage.

I am a huge Premiere fan ... but only previous versions.  For that matter, this can be said for Flash, as well.  To have to use the AME is enough to steer me away from the current Adobe family.

I can only hope that CS5 might fix what should never have been broken.