12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2009 9:20 PM by the_wine_snob

Film look help

Losman Omaha

Does anyone know of any film look software that will work with ppro cs3?  I was using magic bullet movie looks with my ppro 1.5 version but it doesn't work with cs3.  I really need to age a few of my shots for effect.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

• 1. Re: Film look help
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Welcome to the forums.

See: FAQ:How do I get "the film look"?

Cheers
          Eddie

• 2. Re: Film look help
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Eddie,

I assume that your link is the famous Jim Simon and Dan Issac's articles. If not, Dan just posted another link to his old articles, and I'll run out and find that.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Film look help
              Dan Isaacs Level 2

I read the post earlier, but the OP mentions "aging" the look of a few clips, which does not seem to fit with what the dv2film() process really does. It has a "noise option", however, but this effect is really pretty primitive.

The real crux of the "look" (from my perspective) is the 60i -> 24p conversion. You can check out Jim's site about my "film look" worklfow: dv2film.com

• 4. Re: Film look help
                Dag Norum Level 2

Losman,

I don't think Movie Looks had ageing. Anyway. Red Giant Software (www.redgiantsoftware.com) now has Quick Looks which is very similar to Movie Looks, and they have Magic Bullet Looks that is an "adjustable looks" version, sort of big brother to Quick Looks. MB Looks also has a set of plugins to make the footage look old and/or damaged.

You can probably also use QuickTime Pro to age your footage (I wrote probably because with earlier versions, 6.x, it was possible, now I don't know for sure).

Dag

• 5. Re: Film look help
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Magic Bullet Frames is a commercial competitor to Dan's dv2Film process, and in my experience, far inferior.  It does, however, come with some extra goodies that dv2Film does not have, such as the ability to add things like Gate Weave, Dust, Dirt, Scratches, and all those things that make real celluloid look "aged".

• 6. Re: Film look help
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have a look at Windows Movie Maker, it has several aging filters. Already installed on your pc.

• 7. Re: Film look help
                      Losman Omaha Level 1

Hey everyone, thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.  I probably confused a few with the comment about the aged aspect that I was looking for, I probably should have been more clear.  I had been using Magic Bullet until recently for aging my clips (mainly sepia tone) but when I upgraded to ppro cs3 it would no longer work.  Now I'm working on a project that is dying for that particular effect for nostolgic purposes.  Some of the software That I found on the internet is pretty priciy so I'm looking for something on the cheap side, if it's out there.  Any ideas?  Oh, I'm going to check out the effect that movie maker has that Ann Bens mentioned.  I don't know if it will be compitable with ppro but I'll look at it. Thanks

• 8. Re: Film look help
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

WMM should get you close and with a few more Effects back in PrPro, you can probably find what you want. Other than WMM Exporting to DV-AVI Type I, instead of Type II, you should not have a problem. PrPro usually handles Type I's pretty well. When there is a slip up, it's often OOS. This is fixed pretty easily, but you may want to keep your existing Audio, and just use the Video output from WMM.

ProDAD's Vitascene has some of the effects that constitute an aged film look. It's farily cheap, and DigitalJuice has had several of the ProDAD plug-in "on sale." Don't know what they are offering right now. Last time that I checked, it was their music/SFX libraries, but it changes often.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Film look help
                          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

WMM can render to dv-avi and yes it even has sepia.

So for the odd CC you do not need to buy a whole package of effects.

Don't understand why Premiere does not have one.

• 10. Re: Film look help
                            Dan Isaacs Level 2

Well, you can fake a sepia easily enough, I guess… use Image Control/Black & White + Color Correction/Fast Color Corrector ---> drag the point on Fast Color Corrector's color wheel over to orange and you're mostly there. If you want more control over the colorization of highlights and shadows, use Color Correction/Three-Way Color Corrector instead.

• 11. Re: Film look help
                              Losman Omaha Level 1

I tried the movie maker effects and saved it as a dv-avi file and it worked, thanks for that info Ann Bens.  I also may try using the adobe's color corrector and fast color correction tool that Dan Isaacs mentioned.  Thanks loads to all who replied.

• 12. Re: Film look help
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you found a method to create your effect. Thanks for reporting. Also, please followup on any other experiments on the "aged" film effect.

Good luck,

Hunt