3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2009 5:27 PM by Fighting Sticks

How to create a glowing basketball?

shamb123

Hi guys,

let me start by saying that i am COMPLETELY new to after effects, i just bought it a week ago.

i saw this video on youtube (funny video).  at about 0:37 look at the basketball effect

what is the easiest way to do that?  can somebody explain how?

thanks!!!

-Patrick

• 1. Re: How to create a glowing basketball?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If you are completely new to After Effects, then you need to learn the basics before jumping in and trying to achieve specific advanced results.

I recommend working your way through the pages linked to from the "Getting started" section on this page.

After you've learned the basics, you can ask better questions and understand the answers.

• 2. Re: How to create a glowing basketball?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This looks like a simple lens flair tracked to the basketball. The first thing you need to do is to learn about tracking in AE. You can use MOCHA or AE's built in tracker for this. There's plenty of info in AE's help files to get you started with tracking and there are also many tutorials out there on tracking.

Once the position of the basketball is tracked, you simply attach that tracking data to the flair center point by either copy and paste or by a simple expression.

It would help a bit more if I knew exactly what you were trying to do. If you're just trying to duplicate this shot, someone throwing a basketball, then this should get you started.

Try these tutorials for tracking:

Adobe - About Motion Tracking

Video CoPilot Motion Tracking Basics

There are a bunch more.

• 3. Re: How to create a glowing basketball?
              Fighting Sticks Level 2

Hey Yo Jay, Yo Jay,

Check this out!

http://library.creativecow.net/tutorials/adobeaftereffects

Scroll down the page a bit to find three of Jeff Bellune's great video tutorials - Igniting a soccor ball; Part 1, 2 & 3.

There isn't much difference between igniting a soccor ball & glowing a basketball.  So check these out and if this helps answer your question be sure to rack me ma ten points!  Slam!