13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2009 3:10 PM by the_wine_snob

Confused

nik lavigne

I'm having some trouble figuring out what the problem is here.  As i'm watching the footage in the viewer screen, all i see is pixelated, odd colors when viewing. Inbetween some of it i can spot the footage. Now I know for a fact it's not my camera glitching because when i watch it regularly as an .avi clip it works fine. Even when I export the clip its fine. It's just in the viewing screen where its all glitchy and messed up. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

here is a picture to give an example.

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww225/vx1000man/confused.jpg

• 1. Re: Confused
          spreeni Level 1

Please give us more information about clip format and project settings.

• 2. Re: Confused
            Powered by Design Level 4
            Does it do this all the time if you change the display from ( fit  to 100% in the viewer ) ?
            Also have you changed the setting in the pulldown in the top right of the monitor for
            Highest Quality
            Draft Quality
            Automatic Quality
            see if that helps:  Glenn
            • 3. Re: Confused
              Eddie Lotter Level 4

Welcome to the forums.

Please provide these details to help us help you.

Cheers
              Eddie

• 4. Re: Confused
                nik lavigne Level 1

I have tried this, thanks. My apologies for not posting the other stuff, as for the clip it is a normal avi clip. With all my clips it does this. The settings for the project are DV-NTSC, stantard 32khz, I hope this helps a little bit more.

• 5. Re: Confused
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

What camera did you use to shoot the footage, nik?

• 6. Re: Confused
                    nik lavigne Level 1

I shot the footage with a sony vx1000, captured it with a vx2000.

• 7. Re: Confused
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

OK.

With the information given so far, I don't see that you're doing anything wrong.  I'm inclined to believe it's a graphics driver issue at this point.  What card and driver version are you using?

• 8. Re: Confused
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Recent similar post with similar display. In that case, it was the vid-driver, as Jim points out.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Confused
                          nik lavigne Level 1

It's an ati card, thanks for the help, what should I go about fixing this?

• 10. Re: Confused
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Since you are obviously guarding state secrets, don't tell anyone, but get version 9.05.

Version 9.11 is not due till November.

• 11. Re: Confused
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

That's the ATI video driver version. Check the model of your particular card on the ATI site. Many/most drivers are version-specific to cards, and also to the OS. Do not know how far down ATI breaks their drivers, but they should give you full details. Check those carefully, as you may end up something that fritzes the system up. Probalby be able to plug in your card's model number and get to several driver downloads. Read the details, and find the most recent for your OS. Install it per the instructions on the ATI site. Some video drivers need to have the old one uninstalled manually first. Some do a great job of just overwriting the old one. Hint: always keep a copy of your old driver safely in a separate folder, as some folk have had to roll-back their drivers.

When you go to the ATI site, you can probably put in your video card's exact model and you'll be led to a download area. There may be OS-specific versions of the driver, so always check this out. There should be complete directions on installation. Read these and follow them carefully. Some drivers need to be unistalled first, others will be overwritten by the new driver. The site will tell you how to do it.

Good luck with the driver, and please post back with your success. Include the driver #, that you replaced, and the # that worked for you. This info will likely help someone else in time.

Hunt

PS it's a good thing to always check for driver updates for both Video and Audio. These change frequently. Harm pointed out that ATI was going to have a new one in November. Audio drivers are released almost weekly, especially for Realtek chips.

• 12. Re: Confused
                                Harm Millaard Level 7
                                PS it's a good thing to always check for driver updates for both Video and Audio. These change frequently. Harm pointed out that ATI was going to have a new one in November. Audio drivers are released almost weekly, especially for Realtek chips.

You fell for the ploy. ATI is rather famous for their very regular monthly driver updates, usually available around the 20-th of each month and they number their drivers by x (Year).mm (month), so the current version is 9.05, in a couple of weeks it will be 9.06 and so on.

The reason I mentioned 9.11, expected around the 20-th of November, is that the OP still can not come forward with his system details, despite being asked several times, so my assumption is he must be guarding state secrets and is afraid of Homeland Security come down breathing in his neck if and when he gives out those details, especially in a public place like this.

• 13. Re: Confused
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

Thank you for that info. Compared to many companies that issue drivers, that naming system makes a lot more sense. Been so long since I owned an ATI, that I must have forgotten or never knew it in the first place. Sometimes, when I've downloaded to a driver folder, I have to sort by date, as the file names make little sense to me.

Appreciated,

Hunt