3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2009 8:57 AM by the_wine_snob

Audio Output Delay Function?   Having a slight audio sync issue...

sbailey123 Level 1

Hello

I'm using Premiere Pro CS4.1 on a Mac Pro and need to know if there is someway inside of Premiere or perhaps a software add on/ plug-in that will allow me to delay my audio output.

The problem is that audio arrives 3 frames before vision resulting in a small lip sync issue. I'm sure there must be other editors having this problem with their screens taking more time than there speakers.

So does anyone if somewhere in Premiere's menus, Apple OS X, etc there is a way to do this or do I need a piece of hardware to delay the signal?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Audio Output Delay Function?   Having a slight audio sync issue...
          Jim_Simon Level 8

There's no way I know of to introduce such a delay that will not also affect the final export.

I've also not heard of this problem for internal playback, only when viewed on an external monitor.  In which case the delay is part and parcel of Firewire preview.

• 2. Re: Audio Output Delay Function?   Having a slight audio sync issue...
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Not aware of any automatic way to do this.

I would suspect that it is something inherent in your Assets, but that's only a guess. More details on these might yield a clue.

Now, it's pretty easy to manually fix OOS. Turn OFF Snap and Alt-click on the Audio. Nudge your Audio up, or back, as needed. Once you have finished you'll have a little -x, or +x at the Head of the Audio. You can do the same for all Clips that exhibit this issue. Once you have Selected anything else, the Audio will re-link to your Video, and can be fully edited.

One quick question: where are you hearing this OOS issue. Could it be a lag in your system's ability to play the Audio in PrPro? Just curious.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS don't forget to turn Snap ON, when you're done.The s-key is a toggle, or was in previous versions, unless you re-mapped it.

• 3. Re: Audio Output Delay Function?   Having a slight audio sync issue...
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Second thought: what are your Edit>Preferences>Audio Hardware settings, especially the ASIO. Could you have latency in the Audio sub-system, albeit big latency? If you do not experience this with other Assets, and have monitored closely, this is probably not the reason.

Hunt