6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2009 11:07 AM by Jim_Simon

Crossfades not working correctly

BexFX

Hi,

This has started just today for some reason I can't figure out why. I have a premiere project where the underlay is a white matt... clips on top of it have cross dissolves at their beginnings and ends... normal they work as if the clip is fading into an alpha and whatever colour matt beneath shows through. Now though the cross dissolve has decided to try and fade to grey/black, rather than the transparency it normally does. While the timeline is unrendered everything lookis fine, moment I render it or export all the errors in the sequences cross dissolves start showing up.

Any ideas what's going on?

Bex.

• 1. Re: Crossfades not working correctly
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Bex,

Have you updated to 4.1? There is a bug in pre-4.1 versions that kills Cross-Dissolves.

The solution seems to be going to 4.1, or just placing an Opacity Keyframe (do not change the value, but just add the Opacity Keyframe) in each Clip. This workaround is supposedly unnecessary in 4.1. Do make sure that you have adequate Handles on your Clips.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Crossfades not working correctly
            BexFX Level 1

Yep, running 4.1

Already tried the Opacity Keyframe thing, doesn't work...

The only way I can make it work is if I cross dissolve the clip actually 'into' a white colour matt. That won't work for the projects though because there is still other clips playing.

It's got to be something to do with the sequence I think... I just opened up some of my previous projects and they are all working and exporting the sequence just fine.

• 3. Re: Crossfades not working correctly
              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, you're ahead of me. Dang, I thought that I'd helped.

Please tell us more about your Sequence and the Assets (Clips). A screen-cap of a small section of your Timeline might yield a clue. Also, does this happen with ALL Clips in that Sequence, or just some? In your screen-cap, can you show the Transition in the Source Monitor? I'd set up the Workspace so that the CTI is over the offending part, and show both the Source and Program Monitor, plus that part of the Timeline. Somebody will see something to help you with.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Crossfades not working correctly
                BexFX Level 1

Ok... slowly getting there. I have figured out what is different between the sequence format of our previous files and the new one that I created today.

I'm working with tiff sequences animations/stills (exported from 3Ds Max) We normally render from 3Ds Max at a much larger size, import tiff sequences into premiere and export at a smaller size.

Due to rendering times for some projects we have had to render off the tiff's from 3Ds Max at the smaller export size. So the basically the export is the same size as the source now. I recreated the sequences and exported to .flv today and the quality was incredibly bad. So I switched on Maximum Render Quality in the sequence settings, the quality became perfect, but... this is what is causing the crossfade to mess up. When I turn it off, the cross fades all start working fine again, but the quality of the export goes back to unacceptable levels.

I'm stuck between a rock and another rock. Either rubbish quality or messed up cross dissolves.

• 5. Re: Crossfades not working correctly
                  BexFX Level 1

Ok, attaching a screen grab of my settings for the sequence, could someone else try them out using cross dissolve on a white matt background and see if they get the same fade to dark gray appearing on the them?

• 6. Re: Crossfades not working correctly
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

"When I turn it off, the cross fades all start working fine again, but the quality of the export goes back to unacceptable levels."

My guess at this point would be a bug.