10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2009 12:13 PM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

AE to Avid graphics problem

Umanoff Level 1

I'm trying to do something that must be simple, but nothing is working very well.

I'm trying to import a simple graphic -- a chart -- into Avid (Xpress DV v.4) after making a simple change of scale and position in my AE comp.

I've tried every permutation that I can think of, of frame size, frame rate, codec, field order and pixel ratio, on both the AE sie and the Avid side, but I cannot get results that look anywhere near as good as I get with some competing software: the Moving Picture plugin for Avid.

I've read other editors say that this is a no-brainer with FCP, but hard with Avid.

Is there not some simple, standard setting for making this transition from AE to Avid?

thanks, Craig Umanoff

[thread title edited by forum host to remove profanity]

• 1. Re: AE to Avid graphics problem
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

In which way are the results flawed?

For which format is your Avid project set? DV, HDV, something else? That would define how to export from AE.

• 2. Re: AE to Avid graphics problem
            Umanoff Level 1

I'm using Avid Xpress DV, so the sequence is DV.

Its not easy to express visual garbage in English, but I'll try: my AE imports look unsharp and noisy with some "wiggling" going on around the moving lines. But no "sawteeth" ala a field-order problem.

I could post the results on an FTP server if you'd like.

thanks, c.u.

• 3. Re: AE to Avid graphics problem
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

XPress DV only accepts DV and Avid HDV (I think only the latest version did), so all your compositions must be 720x480px (NTSC),720x576px (PAL) or 1080x1440 (HDV) with the respective interlaced frame rates, i.e 25 or 30 fps and of course the correct pixel aspect ratios. Field order should be lower field first. The rest is unclear, you need to provide more details. To my knowledge, XPress DV only accepts AVI files on Windows, so naturally this means you can only use uncompressed AVI for transferring data from AE.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: AE to Avid graphics problem
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

*argh* I hate those overlaps while I write. As per my previous post - more info. How do you bring in your stuff from AE? "Floatiness" and loss of sharpness is either caused by using compressed formats, incorrect field handling or poorly adjusted colors. From the sound of it, the latter seems to be the case - non-broadcast-safe colors will intensify existing artifacts or cause new ones alltogether...

Mylenium

• 5. Re: AE to Avid graphics problem
                  cptvideo

I'm exporting uncompressed Quicktime, 29.97 fps, with my jpeg graphic interpreted as square pixels.

Avid import settings agree.

by the way Avid imports almost any file type and codec, certainly not just AVI

cu

• 6. Re: AE to Avid graphics problem

Your Comp is set with the NTSC DV preset, ie 720x480 with a PAR of 0.91, right?

• 7. Re: AE to Avid graphics problem
                      cptvideo Level 1

that's right.

• 8. Re: AE to Avid graphics problem

It coud be a million things, I am afraid.

The guidelines Mylenium provided are good starting points.

Did you try playing the video file somewhere else before importing it into the AVID? If the flaws are there in the file, you can rule out a problem in the way the AVID could be handling it. Of course, the opposite is also true.

Is this awfulness evident in the computer monitor or is it also noticeable when you check it on a video/television monitor?

• 9. Re: AE to Avid graphics problem
                          cptvideo Level 1

I appreciate your trying to puzzle this out with me. Remember, this "awfulness" goes away (mostly) when I use an evaluation copy of the Moving Picture plugin for Avid, so I'm assuming that its not an Avid issue or a "file" issue (I'm working with the same file in both AE and Moving Picture). Of course I may not be setting the Avid import controls properly for my AE output. I'll try a few more experiments later and come back -- tomorrow a.m.

thanks, c.u.

• 10. Re: AE to Avid graphics problem

Just to show you the million of variables that could be at play, I will mention just two:

· If the Comp is set to half-resolution, and in Render Settings the Resolution menu is set to "current settings" the Comp setting will go through and things will look awful.

· Each layer has a "Quality" switch, which can be set to "best" or "draft". If the Quality option in Render Settings is set to "current settings" the Comp setting will go through and things will look awful.

The most likely thing is that these two settings are both set to "best settings", and they aren't the reason for the ugliness. But... this is just to show the million of things that could cause this, and how difficult it is to diagnose remotely.