6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2009 2:16 PM by dezoito

I'm having a hard time to get an as2 menu to work, PLEASE HELP!

dezoito

Dear Sirs,

I've created a newly empty movie.  I've added an empty moviclip to it. Loaded it to the main stage an add an action so that my menu (which is on a separate movie is loaded on that movieclip)  This was fine.  I've added a second empty movie clip to that main stage an another action targeting it, to load my logo over that movieclip.  This was also fine  All this on my first frame of the main movie.

The menu located at the external movie, loads data from an external xml file.

I need the items on that menu to target a "gotoandPlay"  frames on the main movie according to the information on the also external .xml file.

This menu file originally targets to external .html files and works fine, but when modifying the action script inside that menu file to perform the above mentioned "goto and play" on the main movie, I get no error message when exporting the files, but no action occurs.

The main movie I've called it "ska.swf"

The menu movie file I've called "miniaturas.swf"

The external .xml file I've called  "config.xml"

here goes the section on the menu movie (miniaturas.swf) where it supose to perform the gotoandPlay action:

function openURL(obj) {
      //navigate to an url if url!=undefined
      var setLink = ((obj["info"].attributes.url!=undefined) && (obj["info"].attributes.url!=""));
      if (setLink) {
           MovieClip("ska.quadros").gotoAndPlay(obj["info"].attributes.url);
      }
      }

On the external .xml file the link looks like:

<object source="images/a_vida_em_cores.jpg"         url="10"                          title="   A vida em cores" />

"I've modified the link only for the first menu item)

Being 10 the frame number of one of the menu links.

All this I intent to put on a cd-rom, that's why I need them inside the main  .swf movie.

I've attached the .xml file

Please help me.

Thanks,

David

• 1. Re: I'm having a hard time to get an as2 menu to work, PLEASE HELP!
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

you may have several problems.  but one certain problem is:

MovieClip("ska.quadros").gotoAndPlay(...);

that will make no sense to flash.

if you have a movieclip with instance name quadros that's on the timeline of ska and ska is on the current timeline use:

ska.quadros.gotoAndPlay(...);

if that doesn't work use the trace() function to make sure you're loading and parsing what you think you're loading and parsing.

• 2. Re: I'm having a hard time to get an as2 menu to work, PLEASE HELP!
            dezoito Level 1

Hi kglad,

I really appreciate your help, but I still got stuck with my file.

Would you mind if I send you the mentioned flash files by email to you. 

It seams to me it's just a matter of the way I'm writing the linkeage

itself, as the rest of the menu effects works pretty well.

I have to finish this CD-ROM by tomorrow, and if I don't get the links

to be on frames, I'll have to leave it with regular URLs, which may look

preetty bad on some computers, while in flash it will look the same no

matter where the CD-ROM is played.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

• 3. Re: I'm having a hard time to get an as2 menu to work, PLEASE HELP!

go ahead and post a link and explain where the problematic code and movieclips are.

• 4. Re: I'm having a hard time to get an as2 menu to work, PLEASE HELP!
                dezoito Level 1

Hi Kglad,

it took me a few hours to put all the files together for you.

The are all located under www.dezoito.com/ska <http://www.dezoito.com/ska>

The main movie which holds everything together is "ska.swf"

the problems resides in both config.xml and "miniaturas.swf"

at miniaturas.swf the problematic actioncript is located inside the

"menuHolder" movieclip between lines 295 and 302 the rest of the code

seams to be fine.

when testing the ska.swf, you'll see that the top part of the file (with

local static links) works fine the problem is at the bottom, in the

dynamically loaded thumbnails, which doesn't respond.

I've uploaded in that "ska" sub-directory both "ska.fla" and

"miniaturas.fla" to make it easier for you.

Thanks once more,

David

• 5. Re: I'm having a hard time to get an as2 menu to work, PLEASE HELP!

you posted incomplete information and incomplete files.  i can't help you.

• 6. Re: I'm having a hard time to get an as2 menu to work, PLEASE HELP!
                    dezoito Level 1

Hi Kglad,

I updated the information online at http://www.dezoito.com/ska, and hope

to have covered the incomplete information and files you mentioned earlier.

I'm counting on you, as I've to finish this project tonight.

I've added the target files, which are not being loaded by my file due

to the problem on the file.  I've added the sources of the first 3 of

them, although all the others .swf are already online.

Again, the problem lies on the miniaturas.fla and config.xml files.

I know I'm still missing a back button (to the main -top- menu)on each

of the problematic target pages. I'm adding those "back buttons during

this next hour.

If you prefer, I'm online e in Skype, and I could give you more

information my skype is:  "rosenchan"

Thanks again,

Dave