12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2009 7:46 AM by Harm Millaard

Loosing render files in Premiere

pmcavena

I'm running Premiere CS4 on a Dell T5400 running Vista 64 bit.

Recently I added a firewire 400 external drive and since then I'm occastionaly loosing video playback render files and am having to rerender.

I first set the media cache files to the external drive, however set them back to the main drive. I've since then had to rerender my project several times. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Loosing render files in Premiere
          Colin Brougham Level 6

You'll need to offer up some more details on your setup, but I just started having this issue in 4.1 with DL'ed AE comps. I can render the sequence in PPro, but sometimes, when it's done, the render bar stays yellow/red. Other times, it will turn green, but if I click around a bit, it'll go back to unrendered. Very bizarre. I'm using DV MXF clips in AE, and a DV 29.97 sequence in PPro, incidentally. Do you happen to have any of the same symptoms?

• 2. Re: Loosing render files in Premiere
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

I thought that the "lost render files" was an issue that 4.1 was supposed to address. Sounds like it was not, or that there is something else going on.

@OP,

What are your Clip's full properties? Any similarity to what Colin mentioned?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Loosing render files in Premiere
              Colin Brougham Level 6

I thought that the "lost render files" was an issue that 4.1 was supposed to address. Sounds like it was not, or that there is something else going on.

Actually, I never had this issue with 4.0.1, unlike some others have reported. I haven't tested this with footage that isn't an AE comp yet, so take it for what it's worth. I do know that I can render the AE comp in the PPro timeline, let PPro sit for a few seconds/minutes, and then suddenly the render bar is yellow/red again.

• 4. Re: Loosing render files in Premiere
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

Just a question that may not have any bearing on this, but I assume that the actual Render files are still on your system, and it's PrPro that is loosing its links. Is this correct?

Hunt, thinking aloud

• 5. Re: Loosing render files in Premiere
                  pmcavena Level 1

I'm working on an HDV 1080i sequence. My machine had Quad Xeon 2.66Ghz processors, Nvidia Quadro FX 3700, 4 gig of Ram. The render files are still on my comp however premiere seems to be loosing them. I think the first time this problem happened was after I used dynamic link to bring in a premiere timeline into an After Effects Comp. I did just upgrade to the lastest version of Premiere as well fyi.

• 6. Re: Loosing render files in Premiere
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Yeah, I think there's something glitchy with Dynamic Link. As long as I don't open AE, it's fine--but if I open or tab over to AE, even if I make no changes to the DL'ed AE comp, the render becomes "unlinked" back in PPro. This didn't happen (to me at least) before 4.1; I could go back and forth between AE and PPro and rendered DL comps would stay put if nothing was changed in AE. Seems that DL's trigger finger has gotten itchy...

Time to submit a bug report...

• 7. Re: Loosing render files in Premiere
                      joshtownsend Level 2

My DL to AE is acting wonky also. Nothing is repeatable but it does random thinks like freeze Premiere and I'll find open 5-6 instances of AE an have to close them in the task manager, like it doesn't close AE after I start a new one (sometimes). Also other odd things but I wanna play with it longer before coming to any conclusions.

• 8. Re: Loosing render files in Premiere
                        Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

This sounds like the same lost files problem do to an external drive that does not have a permanent drive letter assigned to it.

Also why in the world would you add a Firewire drive to this system when you could use a much faster eSATA drive?

• 9. Re: Loosing render files in Premiere
                          pmcavena Level 1

I just installed a PCI Express eSATA II card to use th eSATA interface on my Lacie External Drive. Seperate issue, but it seems that i'm only getting transfer speeds of about 4MB/Second which seems very slow for eSATA?

• 10. Re: Loosing render files in Premiere
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Agreed, that is way too slow. It should be much more than 50 MB/s, assuming the disk is not nearly full. Please give more details.

• 11. Re: Loosing render files in Premiere
                              pmcavena Level 1

The drive has about 160GB of data currently (its a 1.5TB Drive), only project files and video files from AE/Premiere projects. I just tested drive speed again and now i'm getting around 30MB/Second but still that seems fairly slow.

• 12. Re: Loosing render files in Premiere
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

It is very common when fill rates are around 90% for performance to drop to around 30-40% of normal performance. Add to that, that you are likely using Seagates and 30 % seems not uncommon. That would indicate a transfer rate of around 90 MB/s on an empty disk. Maybe add to that the need for defragging and you do not have very strange results. Whenever you reach 60-70% fill rates, it is time to add another disk.