8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2009 1:34 PM by JBrown321

New CS4 .. not real happy w/performance

jdmoor Level 1

I posted a thread a few hours ago about going to 64 OS.  The reason I'm considering that is my new install of CS4 (I was using CS2) is just sluggish compared to what I'm accustomed to with CS2.  I had to update to XP service pack3 before I could install CS4, but I've gone back and tried some things in CS2 and it stills work well, so I have to assume the service pack 3 isn't the issue...therefore it must be CS4 Premiere.    I have a fairly new Dell T3400 w/4gig RAM but my graphics card is the GForce Quatro FX 570 with 256meg RAM.   One of my biggest complains is in CS4, when I apply a Magic Bullet / Looks effect, and I open the effect to select the "look", my system will no longer give me the thumbnails of the various filters (still works in CS2). 

Can this type of issue be caused by a 256meg graphics card?  I downloaded the lastes drivers last night but that hasn't really made any significant difference.   I hate try and find the problem using the trial and error method...it's frustrating and expensive.  Does anyone have any thought if this is an OS issue and I need to go to a 64bit OS or is this the result of a cheap video card?   Would a higher end video card with a Gig of onboard RAM solve this?  Any suggestions, thoughts, comments, ideas?

TIA,

jd

• 1. Re: New CS4 .. not real happy w/performance
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Is this the free Looks plug-in that shipped with earlier versions of Premiere Pro?  If so, then you need to upgrade to a retail version of the plug-in from Red Giant.  The free version is crippled/disabled in Pr versions CS3 and CS4.

-Jeff

• 2. Re: New CS4 .. not real happy w/performance
            Kroycom Level 1

Your card's fine, the Quadro FX series is very good and 256meg is sufficient b/c graphics cards don't have a huge impact on video editing performance. Your CPU and memory, as well as hard drives are the potential bottlenecks. You'd def. benefit from a 64bit OS, mostly because you can use a lot more memory than on 32bit.

Tell us your Dell's specs (CPU, hard drive configs,etc) and maybe this'll help us narrow it down a bit.

BTW, some things are indeed slower on CS4 compared to CS2, even after the update, at least that's how it seems ATM. AVCHD however is much faster/smoother since the update. I didn't notice any improvements with MPEG-based sources yet. Editing HDV on CS2 was faster for me too.

• 3. Re: New CS4 .. not real happy w/performance
              Eric Addison User Group Manager

I can't address the performance issues your having - CS4 on my Vista64 system works wonderful - as it does on my Vista32 laptop. As for Magic Bullet, you need to download the latest version which is CS4 compatable...the older versions have that issue. Download version 1.2 of Looks.

• 4. Re: New CS4 .. not real happy w/performance
                Kroycom Level 1

Oh good catch Jeff! Man you've got a memory like an elephant if you remember that free Looks plugin

• 5. Re: New CS4 .. not real happy w/performance
                  JBrown321 Level 1

I am using CS4 on a vista 64 machine with intel core i7 920, WD velociraptors set as raid 0, Geforce 285 and 6 gigs of ram and have good pereformance.  Unfortunately there is not a huge difference I can tell with premiere on my current system and that of my old xp 32 system.  Don't get me wrong I can tell, but CS4 seems to be a sluggish program in itself for some reason. Sometimes I miss the good ole 2.0 days.  I love the new features of CS4 but the performance level has changed alot. I can now play back 7 tracks of HDV video with effects and motion in realtime, also AVCHD plays very well, but the overall editing workflow ( moving clips, scanning through the timeline ect.) seem to be sluggish.

• 6. Re: New CS4 .. not real happy w/performance
                    jdmoor Level 1

Eric,

You were dead on about the Magic Bullet update .. Just got it downloaded,

installed and tested ... Whala!! I have thumbnails!!   I figured if it

worked with CS2 it should work with CS4 ... Thanks!!

Jd

• 7. Re: New CS4 .. not real happy w/performance
                      Kroycom Level 1

"I can now play back 7 tracks of HDV video with effects and motion in realtime, also AVCHD plays very well,(...)"

Dude and you're complaining?!

Timeline scrubbing is slow on AVCHD due to its frame structure and compression, that's normal.

• 8. Re: New CS4 .. not real happy w/performance
                        JBrown321 Level 1

Yeah, I shouldn't complain. I am very thankful that playback is nice. Just a few things in the program that are a little sluggish. Ithink the program monitor issue is what has bothered me the most about the 4.1 update.