4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2009 6:16 AM by Cr99

blurry axis titles

Cr99 Level 1

I posted about this before but got no response so I thought I'd try again.  I am generating some charts and allowing the user to save png snapshots of the charts.  Unfortunately the vertical axes titles are blurry when the images are saved.  This is especially noticeable at higher dpi's like the one from the snapshot below (obviously this is just a clipping from the chart as the entire chart is rather large since I saved it at 300 dpi).  You can see that the axis labels are quite clean, but the title is very blurry.

What is causing this and how can I fix it?

Sample code for the chart in Actionscript:

var genericChart:CartesianChart = new CartesianChart();

var renderers:ArrayCollection = new ArrayCollection();

var vAxis:LinearAxis = new LinearAxis();

vAxis.title = "(MWHr)";

var axr:AxisRenderer = new AxisRenderer();

axr.axis = vAxis;

axr.setStyle("canDropLabels", "true");

axr.setStyle("tickPlacement", "none");

renderers.addItem(axr);

genericChart.verticalAxisRenderers = renderers.toArray();

Picture 1.png

• 1. Re: blurry axis titles
          oldMster Level 3

Is it only blurry in the .png file, or is it blurry on the screen when displaying the chart?

• 2. Re: blurry axis titles
            Cr99 Level 1

It's not really blurry at normal resolution.  A little, but definitely looks ok.  However I'm wondering if it is a problem with CartesianCharts.  Here is a sample at 300 dpi from a ColumnChart and as you can see, the axis title is crystal clear:

Picture 2.png

• 3. Re: blurry axis titles
              oldMster Level 3

Try the cartesian chart with the exact same title styles as the ColumnChart example.  It looks to me that either the font you are using on the Cartesian chart doesn't have rotation rules built into it, so it is being rendered on the screen as a bitmaps when rotated, or whatever you are using to save the chart to .PNG can't figure out how to rotate the font, so does it with a bitmap.  I can see that the font used is different from your Cartesian to ColumnChart, and the rotation direction is different.  Try making them the same, and then make the changes to what you want one at a time and see which one causes it to fuzz out, then decide if you can live without that change.

• 4. Re: blurry axis titles
                Cr99 Level 1

Doh!  You're right, it was the font.  I found buried in a css file I'd written ages ago that I was setting the font to Arial on ColumnCharts but not setting any font at all for CartesianCharts.  So problem solved.  I set both to Arial and now both scale great.  Thanks so much!