15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2009 2:57 PM by Ann Bens

VFW

Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Fact or fiction.

Somebody over at Cineform told me that Premiere is unable to get out a VFW file over 2 gig.

When i want to export with the Cineform codec an 1440x1080 avi the picture turns black when its over 2 gig.

The funny thing is when i add a Magic Bullet filter the export is just fine.

Is it me or is it Cineform or is it Premiere or is it Magic Bullet?

• 1. Re: VFW
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

If by VFW you mean type 1 AVI files, then the 2 GB limit is a limitation of the Microsoft format. The Type 2 AVI format was introduced to overcome that limit.

Cheers
          Eddie

• 2. Re: VFW
            Eddie Lotter Level 4

P.S. If VFW does not stand for Video For Windows then I misunderstood you.

Cheers
            Eddie

• 3. Re: VFW
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Eddie,

Does this also include the MS WMV formats too? I would think that Ann would be working with WNV-9 for the frame size and also for the AC3. Maybe I'm missing something here too. And Cineform isn't restricted to the MS formats, is it?

Gonna' learn something - I have that feeling...

Hunt

PS I immediately thought that Ann was forsaking the Lounge for the "VFW" down the street.

• 4. Re: VFW
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                Somebody over at Cineform told me that Premiere is unable to get out a VFW file over 2 gig.

Fiction.

• 5. Re: VFW
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

type 1 AVI files, then the 2 GB limit is a limitation of the Microsoft format. The Type 2 AVI format was introduced to overcome that limit.

"The AVI file header is 32-bits in length. As a result there is a 4GB limitation in its file size."

• 6. Re: VFW

That is correct video for windows.

What makes MB my Cineform avi with a picture and over 2 gig and still being a type I?

• 7. Re: VFW
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Doing some brief reading, it seems there is a difference between "AVI 1.0" files, and "Type 1" files.  AVI 1.0 was the file specification for all AVI files.  It looks like the "Type" designation is reserved only for DV files.

So nowadays most files are AVI 2.0, which use a 64 bit header and have no such size limits.  And these can be either Type 1 or Type 2.  I would assume Premiere only writes AVI 2.0 files (OpenDML 1.02)

• 8. Re: VFW

Well appears a Cineform avi is avi 2.0 so i still do not understand this statement from Cineform's spokesman at dv.info.

• 9. Re: VFW
                          Curt Wrigley Level 4

Perhaps its a limitation of the cineform codec?

Weve all certainly created bigger video files than 4Gb

• 10. Re: VFW
                            Andy Urtu Level 1

Sorry, but not fiction.  I experienced the problem myself exporting Cineform AVI files from CS4.01 and 4.1

Cineform exports VFW avi files as the old 1.0. (checked with GSPOT)

If the file goes over 2gb, it does not play right, usually black.

Cineform's AVI export (this is a separate choice from the VFW) does use the newer 2.0 avi format and no problems.

Ann,

If you try the new versions of Cineform (NeoScene 1.3, NeoHD 4.03), they have got the Cineform Export working now with 4.1 

Select EXPORT>MEDIA FORMAT:

Then choose CINEFORM AVI FILE.

• 11. Re: VFW

Thanks Andy, i will check out their new update.

• 12. Re: VFW
                                Eddie Lotter Level 4

Eddie, Does this also include the MS WMV formats too?

Hunt, no this does not apply to WMV.

Cheers
                                Eddie

• 13. Re: VFW

Problem fixed.

This is what the Cineform update says:

Added: CineForm AVI export modules for Premiere Pro CS3 and CS4.  This bypasses Adobe’s limited VfW engine and provides 10-bit CineForm exports.

• 14. Re: Uncompressed UYVY over 4GB also makes black video!
                                    fuaho Level 1

Ann,

FWIW,

Prior to 4.1, I could not use the LEAD MJPEG codec so I was forced to export as Uncompressed avi UYVY. This created a 27Gb file which I would then load into other software to compress the way I wanted.

Format is 1280x720, 30fps, MJPG avi video.

Now, after 4.1, an uncompressed UYVY creates the same 27Gb file - BUT, when I load it into the same software as before, THE VIDEO IS BLACK!!!

Just thought you'd like to know...

p.s., the LEAD codec now works fine.....!!!!!

HTH,

• 15. Re: Uncompressed UYVY over 4GB also makes black video!

Thanks for the respons.