14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2009 4:52 AM by Sarahn51

Need Help recording a narration

Sarahn51

Hi,

I am trying to record a narration for a slide show.   I have a Sennheiser headset with a mic.  I have a gateway tower and the green is pluged into the green and the pink into the pink at the back of the computer.  I also have music on the slide show.  I have windows vista.  I printed out the create a narration instructions but there is no voice sound,  I can hear the music.  I turn down the music or delete it and still can't hear the voice.

On the audio mixer the little bars don't move so I am asuming nothing has been recorded.

I can't seem to test the mic through windows sound hardward test wizard because i can't find it on the computer.  I go into the control panel and can't find anything that says voice.

There is only one choice on the default device menu.

I am doing something wrong here so help

tks sarah

• 1. Re: Need Help recording a narration
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Click on the little microphone icon in the upper right corner of the Narration panel, Sarah. This will open up your microphone settings.

Assuming this isn't a USB microphone, you should be able to ensure here that the plug the narration utility is reading is the same one your mike is plugged into.

You may also need to go into Windows and turn on your microphone.

In Start/Control Panel (Make sure you're in Classic View), select Sounds and Audio Devices.

In Sounds and Audio Devices Properties, click the Advanced button on the Device Volume under the Volume tab. This will open the audio levels panel for all of your computer's audio devices. Ensure that the Microphone is not muted and that its volume is all the way up.

• 2. Re: Need Help recording a narration
            Sarahn51 Level 1

will give this a try and get back to you

• 3. Re: Need Help recording a narration
              Sarahn51 Level 1

Ok,

It appears that it is recording.  the mixer levels are moving for both the music and the narration.  however when i play back I can't hear it.  either the music or the narration but the mixer levels are moving,

• 4. Re: Need Help recording a narration
                the_wine_snob Level 9

By chance, did the headset unit come with any software, that you installed? If so, there could also be a software console that needs to be set also.

When recording, how do the meters behave. What levels do they show?

Also, can you record with the freeware, Audacity, or Windows Recorder? How is the Audio level (both audible and on the meters)? How does this file play back?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Need Help recording a narration
                  Sarahn51 Level 1

No software with the head set.  Haven't tried any other recording thing on the computer just the Adobe.  It now appears that i have managed to record something because the levels on the mixer are going up and down where before they weren't moving.  However now when I play back I can't hear any sound either the music or the narration even though the mixer levels are moving up and down.

tks

• 6. Re: Need Help recording a narration
                    Sarahn51 Level 1

Now no sound will play back what did I do?  I opened another video and when I play it back there is no sound.

• 7. Re: Need Help recording a narration
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

There are four places to look, and I'd do it in this order:

1.) the Windows Sounds control panel, that Steve mentioned. Make sure that levels are up for the proper devices and that Mute is NOT checked in any.

2.) in PE, open up the Audio Mixer in your Project and check the Master buss. Also check each Track's pot and make sure they are not lowered, or muted.

3.) check your Audio Tracks (think that it's Rt-click), and make sure that Bypass is NOT checked. Do this for all Audio Tracks

4.) look in Edit>Preferences>Audio Hardware and make sure that nothing has changed there. Then look in ASIO settings and tell us what you have set there. Hint: a screen-cap of these settings will make it easier for all to see what your choices and settings are

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Need Help recording a narration
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you tried unplugging your headset?

Is the other sound working on your computer? Play something to confirm that that isn't the issue.

If so, you just need to adjust the audio hardware settings in Premiere Elements. To do this, go to the Edit menu, select Preferences, then Audio Hardware, then click the ASIO settings.

Ensure that your hardware is properly configured.

As you say, you definitely have sound. You just have it turned off somewhere.

• 9. Re: Need Help recording a narration
                          Sarahn51 Level 1

I have the head set unplugged and the speakers pluged in and of course turned on .  I pulled up another video I made with sound and I know it had sound when I played it back and no sound.

• 10. Re: Need Help recording a narration
                            Sarahn51 Level 1

How do I know if they are properly configured ?  Aslo what is a Track pot?  Not sure how to check audio tracks and where would I fing the Bypass.  I am so confused.

• 11. Re: Need Help recording a narration
                              Sarahn51 Level 1

Sound is back have no idea what in the world I did.  It is like when I ride my horse and I finally get something and have no idea what I did.

• 12. Re: Need Help recording a narration
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Here are a couple of screen-caps of the Audio Mixer and also the Edit>Preferences>Audio Hardware. I confused my Premieres and used Bypass, instead of Enable, which is the On/Off for Audio in a Track. Sorry about that.

ASIO Settings 02.jpg

Audio_Mixer_01.jpg

Hope that this helps. I also see that you have audio back, which is good.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Need Help recording a narration
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

This is good news. Now, I want to know if you also have Audio for your recorded narration. That would make it GREAT news.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Need Help recording a narration
                                    Sarahn51 Level 1

Hi,

I deleted the narration thinking it might be blocking.  so I will try again tonight when I get home.  Thanks for all of your help.  You guys are very helpful.  Sarah