5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2009 10:30 PM by little*big*man

What is the deal with the line spacing?

R. Huber Level 1

Have I lost my mind, or is Flash CS4 incapable of handling line spacing? Some of my text boxes are unaffected, but as soon as I apply multiple line spacing values within one box, Flash reverts to just one of the values. How can that be? Isn't this a professional design application? I sure hope I've overlooked something.

Robin

• 1. Re: What is the deal with the line spacing?
          R. Huber Level 1

Actually, when I created a text link out of the email address in the text box, that's when the problem started. I can recreate the problem over from scratch, every time. It's obviously a bug, because once it arises, even when I UNDO, the line spacing problem remains.

• 2. Re: What is the deal with the line spacing?
            Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's been awhile since I needed to do anything in the way of varying lines spacing in a single textfield, and since I don't have CS4 I can't check to see if what used to work no longer does.  Considering the variety of issues that were uncovered with CS4 since its release, it wouldn't be surprising if more have yet to surface.

While you might want to wait to see if someone has some good information to offer, if you would like to submit a bug report for this, you can use the following link: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform  There was a recent patch made available for a number of the bugs that were reported, though not all of them, so if that update doesn't address this issue, and it isn't in the remaining issues that the update doesn't address, then it's as good a time as any to add it to the list.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: What is the deal with the line spacing?
              Rothrock Level 5

Well the typography in Flash has been known for quite some time as not up to the level of Adobe's other design applications. They are currently working on a new Text Layout Framework. It is insanely complex and only partially done. But it might help you.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/labs/textlayout

Additionally it is most likely of little help but it seems that you are correct in that it is some kind of bug in the authoring environment. It is possible with Actionscript to apply different leading values to different TextFormats and apply them to different paragraphs.

I put a large textfield on the stage with a name of theField and set its default leading to a ridiculous number like -19. Then this code goes on frame 1.

var theField:TextField;

var text1:String="Have I lost my mind, or is Flash CS4 incapable of handling line spacing? Some of my text boxes are unaffected, but as soon as I apply multiple line spacing values within one box, Flash reverts to just one of the values."

var text2:String="How can that be? Isn't this a professional design application? I sure hope I've overlooked something."

var fmt:TextFormat=theField.getTextFormat();

fmt.leading=1;

theField.defaultTextFormat=fmt;

theField.text=text1+"\n\n"+text2;

fmt.leading=10;

theField.setTextFormat(fmt,0,text1.length);

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: What is the deal with the line spacing?
                R. Huber Level 1

Thank you Ned and Rothrock. I do think it is a bug, and for now I'm just laying out my text link in a separate box. Annoying but workable for my project. Unfortunately, I am not really equipped to start playing with ActionScript strategies. I started this project thinking I could just learn a touch of Flash and no more than a line or two of ActionScript where needed. How naive of me. I'm normally a retoucher/print designer, so I didn't want to invest TOO much time with this. I just somehow assumed Flash had more basic typographic abilities (Horizontal character scaling anyone?).

Thanks again,

Robin

• 5. Re: What is the deal with the line spacing?
                  little*big*man Level 2

This is why Indesign now exports to .swf in CS4 - it has a better engine for handling type.

http://tv.adobe.com/?trackingid=EAWSV#vi+f15383v1024

Sean