3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2009 11:46 AM by the_wine_snob

PE 2.0 question

briano.de.rhino

Hi guys,

I only have PE2.0 in work, can I record narration with this as I cant find it anywhere, no mic icon or even in the help contents.

Also, if I move a section of clips backwards in the timeline it drags all the other clips back too which is annoying as I dont know how to turn it off.

Also, I have recorded with a lavalier mic recently which recorded in the left ear only. Is it possible to double up the recording into the right ear? I thought I could but cant find it in PE2.0.

Also, with my new camera[canon xm2] in capture, it captures one big clip until i press stop capture whereas before it would capture each clip seperately at the point where I stopped recording and make a new clip. I found this handy.

So thats 4 noob questions for ya.

Thanks, guys.

Brian.

• 1. Re: PE 2.0 question
          Paul_LS Level 4

1) Unfortunately no narration with PE2... if I recall correctly

2) Try pressing CTRL before or after you start moving your clips. Depending when you press CTRL it will do a number of different things. Best thing is to play with it and you will see.

3) Use the Audio Effect, Fill Left or Fill Right to fill in the missing audio channel

4) I assume you are capturing over Firewire. The default in PE2 is to detect scenes by Timecode. If you do not have date/time set on your camcorder this feature will not work. Scene detection by timecode can be found under "Device Control" in the capture window.

• 2. Re: PE 2.0 question
            briano.de.rhino Level 1

Wow, thanks Paul, you are my kinda guy. you answered them all.

1. Narration isnt toobad, I can record it outside of premiere.

2. Thanks for that tip about CTRL I taught myself to use premiere,

never even looked at youtube tutorials etc. I really should do that

and stop annoying you with questions like that.

3. I was searching in the file and other dropdown menus but couldnt

find fill left etc for ages. Found it now in the effects box thanks.

Does that just double up the mono recording in the other channel? Will

it have any adverse effects doing that?

4.I just got a new camera and havent set the time and date yet in my

eagerness, thats prolly the reason.

Thanks again,

Brian.

• 3. Re: PE 2.0 question
              the_wine_snob Level 9

3. I was searching in the file and other dropdown menus but couldnt

find fill left etc for ages. Found it now in the effects box thanks.

Does that just double up the mono recording in the other channel? Will

it have any adverse effects doing that?

That is exactly what it does, along with seeing the result as a stereo pair, though they are full mono, because of the source.

The closest thing to an "adverse effect," is that you might have to attenuate your Audio Levels down just a bit. Only your ears can direct you hear. Just be ready to do some critical listening. Usually no more than about a -1db to -1db attenuation should be required - if at all.

Good luck, and thanks for asking the question. I did not know that PE2 did not have narration capabilities. Learned something new.

Hunt