14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2009 3:30 PM by Ann Bens

Field Options on more than one clip?

cramhead1 Level 1

Im making a video and it now has 100's of seprate clips in it. Some have been set to deinterlace and some havnt. I hear its better to deinterlace with a plugin. Is there a way to select all my clips and get into field options to turn off all deinterlacing at once?

OR

whats teh best solution without having to go though all my clips individualy?

• 1. Re: Field Options on more than one clip?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I believe individual settings are your only option here.

• 2. Re: Field Options on more than one clip?
            cramhead1 Level 1

noooooooooooooo

is there a way to identify which clips have the deinterlace option selected? Or vica verca

• 3. Re: Field Options on more than one clip?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Clips with an effect applied will usually have a purple line thorugh them, or may generate a red line above indicating a render is required.  Not sure if that applies to the field settings, though.

• 4. Re: Field Options on more than one clip?
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is no way to deinterlace all the clips at once, however you can set the field order to progressief in your export setting. Which is basically the same.

• 5. Re: Field Options on more than one clip?
                  cramhead1 Level 1

I no longer want to deinterlace the footage in premiere, I'm going to use a plugin. Maybe be in premiere or after effects.

In export settings if I set the field to no fields (progressive) would that over ride the field options?????????

• 6. Re: Field Options on more than one clip?
                    Dan Isaacs Level 2

Actually, setting Field Order to "none" in the export options is NOT the same, at least in CS3. The only way to deinterlace all clips on export is to tick the "Deinterlace" box in AME's export options or, when using Export Movie, to check the "Deinterlace Video Footage" box.

Things are different in CS4 -- where setting fields to "none" will deinterlace any footage that is assumed to be (or set to be interpreted as) interlaced.

You can certainly use a plugin, such as FieldsKit, to deinterlace your clips -- and it is much better than Premiere's built-in deinterlacer. But FieldsKit is extremely slow; even at "modest" quality settings.

I prefer to pre-process clips in AviSynth and VirtualDub (freeware) and edit with the processed (progressive) clips.

• 7. Re: Field Options on more than one clip?
                      cramhead1 Level 1

So does having the deinterlace option ticked in field options do noting to the final render? Is it more of a preview thing? If so I can render the project without having to untick all the clips with interlaced turned on in field options

• 8. Re: Field Options on more than one clip?
                        Dan Isaacs Level 2

Wait… ticking "deinterlace" anywhere (either on the individual clips or in the export options) will result in an deinterlaced clip. However, in CS3, simply choosing "None" for field order on export willl NOT automatically deinterlace anything.

• 9. Re: Field Options on more than one clip?

Thanks for the explanation.

• 10. Re: Field Options on more than one clip?
                            Dan Isaacs Level 2

Hey, no problem: My fear and hatred of Premiere's built-in deinterlacer has caused me to become somewhat of an expert on it. You must know your enemy in order to defeat them!

My advice to everybody would be to NEVER tell Premiere to deinterlace anything, as it will destroy the quality of your source in every case. If you have interlaced sources and need progressive output (or lower-resolution interlaced output, such as converting HD to SD) then you need to use other tools. Premiere just can't do it with any fidelity whatsoever.

• 11. Re: Field Options on more than one clip?
                              cramhead1 Level 1

thanks for the help guys. I made a shourtcut so it wasnt so bad in the end to untick lots of boxes

• 12. Re: Field Options on more than one clip?
                                You must know your enemy in order to defeat them!

You must have been reading Sun Tzu or watching Tom Cruise in Samurai

What about the deinterlacing in a wmvhd? Is it also so very destructive? I have made several wmvhd's (720p) through Premiere and i find them quite good

• 13. Re: Field Options on more than one clip?
                                  Dan Isaacs Level 2

Don't know... I've never tried it, but I have no reason to think it would be appreciably better than anything else I've seen Premiere do. Likely, what's happening is that you are (is essence) "chopping" the vertical resolution from 1080 -> 540, then scaling it back up to 720. Since Premiere is using a fairly soft scaling method (single-tap Gaussian resizing, I think??) this is probably hiding much of the artifacting that is occurring.

Ann -- since you are already familiar with my processes and you know how to use DebugMode FrameServer and you have my hd2sd() pacakge, try an AviSynth script like this to pre-process your 1080i timeline for 720p output:

(frameserve from Premiere in YUY2 colorspace)

AviSource("signpost.avi")

AssumeTFF()

# For better quality (but slower) deinterlacing, set DeintMethod=1

ConditionalSmoothBob(DeintMethod=2)

SelectEven()

Spline36Resize(1280, 720)

ConvertToRGB32(matrix="rec709", interlaced=false)

Compress this as a Lagarith AVI and import than into a Premiere 1280x720 @ 30p (or 25p) timeline and export to .wmv (or use another tool, such as Microsoft's standalone Windows Media Converter to create the output)

Of course, there are many other options for how to handle all of this, but this a good place to start.

• 14. Re: Field Options on more than one clip?

Sorry, i am on CS4 and Vista 64

And i wish i could use Lagarith but i cannot get it installed, Premiere does not see the codec.