9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2009 8:56 PM by jendehaan

How do I move a 3D object in 2D space?

tunghoy Level 1

I'm trying to get used to the new way of doing things in CS4. Once I've created a MC and rotated it in 3D, how can I move it across the screen w/o rotating it further? I have a MC that rotates over several frames, and once it reaches the last one, I want it to stop rotating, then begin to slide in an X direction (while reducing the alpha). But no matter which tool I use or what I do on the timeline, the object is stuck in place and will only rotate and not move. Even the 2D X and Y settings in the properties panel are grayed out.

• 1. Re: How do I move a 3D object in 2D space?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you tried using coded Tweens?

• 2. Re: How do I move a 3D object in 2D space?
            tunghoy Level 1

No. Do you mean using AS3 to write the tween, or are coded tweens the name of another new feature? But it seems to me that moving an object should be something so simple that I shouldn't have to code it.

• 3. Re: How do I move a 3D object in 2D space?
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

are you using the motion editor?

• 4. Re: How do I move a 3D object in 2D space?
                tunghoy Level 1

Well.......I just discovered the Motion Editor! I tried adjusting the X value there, but it affects the whole tween. I want to affect just the last keyframe.

I also tried copying and pasting the last keyframe, but it pastes the whole tween. When I took that and converted the pasted tween to frame-by-frame animation and deleted all but the last frame, that last frame acts like a tween, and all the position and size settings in the properties panel are grayed out.

• 5. Re: How do I move a 3D object in 2D space?
                  kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

check lee brimelow's tutorial and see if you learn how to use the editor to do what you want:

http://www.gotoandlearn.com/play?id=88

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How do I move a 3D object in 2D space?
                    tunghoy Level 1

The tutorial is a good explanation of the Motion Editor, thanks. It looks like an enhanced version of advanced easing. When I go into the ME and select the object's X axis keyframe, the Y and Z keyframes also get selected automatically. When I scrub the X number, the object moves and the other numbers don't change. But as the X value increases and the object moves, the object's perspective on the stage changes with respect to me, the viewer.

So maybe I'm not asking my question the right way. Let's try this: once I've rotated an object in 3D, is it possible to add a keyframe and move it in only 1 dimension in 2D w/o changing its perspective?

• 7. Re: How do I move a 3D object in 2D space?
                      tunghoy Level 1

I got it! The issue was the vanishing point. Here's what I did:

From frame 1 to 24, the object swung out in 3D (think of a door opening on its hinge). From frame 25 to 35, the X value increased and so did the vanishing point. That prevented the object from swinging any further. And also from 25 to 35, I reduced the alpha, just like in previous versions.

One curious thing: at frame 25, after I scrubbed the vanishing point to a higher amount, the number remained unchanged from the previous keyframes, even though the object's perspective remained the same. But I'm going to ignore that, because the animation is now doing what I want.

• 8. Re: How do I move a 3D object in 2D space?
                        jendehaan Level 4

If you have rotated it in 3D, when you change the spatial (X, Y) properties, the perspective is going to change based on the 3D rotation. So the appearance will change if you move it on the Stage, based on that 3D. That means it will look "correct" over the tween, based on where it is on the stage.

If you do want to have your instance not change over a period of time, you could insert the keyframes and make sure the values are not changing. It doesn't stop it from being 3D, but it will stop whatever property from tweening. Or if you really need to tween in 2D you need a new tween span -- split the span  (in that the "skew" creating the 3D appearance absolutely doesn't change between two frames based on the instances stage position), remove 3D for that section ( split and 3D are both available by right click on the span), and then use Onion Skin to modify the instance (or trace the 3D instance and replace the instance in the 2D tween).

Or, based on the original post if you want to just stop 3D rotation but retain the 3D-ness of the instance (the skewed-ness, etc), you could just make the last rotation keyframe before the end of the tween on the Rotation Y property.

I may be able to help more if you describe what you'd like to achieve with the "2D" part of your tween.

• 9. Re: How do I move a 3D object in 2D space?
                          jendehaan Level 4

Ah, was typing at the same time!  Glad you found what you needed!