16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2009 10:32 AM by Harm Millaard

"Transparent Video" is NOT transparent

tjcfisher

I am using Adobe Creative Suite 4 Production Premium.  MY OS is Windows VISTA running on 64 bit with 8 GB of memory.  I have a 300 GB HD with 106 GB free space.  My projects and assetts go to an Enhance Tech RAID system with over 2 TBs free.

For some odd reason when I activate the "transparent video" and drag it to the timeline it is NOT transparent.  I of course place it on the highest video track, because I'm using it for timecode when having videos evaluated.  The only work-around is to change the Blend Mode from Normal to Screen, unfortunately when you go that route it has to be rendered, which takes forever.

For kicks I clicked on Bars & Tone from New Item and the color bars don't appear.  The tone works fine, but the video is pure black just like the transparent video.

Any ideas on what my problem could be?

Tim

• 1. Re: "Transparent Video" is NOT transparent
          tjcfisher Level 1

As I was re-reading I noticed that I forgot to mention I'm running on the Matrox RT.X2.  And I use the Matrox effects, so there is NO rendering necessary.

Tim

• 2. Re: "Transparent Video" is NOT transparent
            Curt Wrigley Level 4

tjcfisher wrote:

As I was re-reading I noticed that I forgot to mention I'm running on the Matrox RT.X2.  And I use the Matrox effects, so there is NO rendering necessary.

Tim

Its likely the RT.X2.  I dont believe they have to working properly with CS4.

• 3. Re: "Transparent Video" is NOT transparent
              Colin Brougham Level 6
              Any ideas on what my problem could be?

Yep: it's the RT.X2. Transparent video works just find sans Matrox. I would guess that, if it worked before and you've recently upgraded to the 4.1 PPro release, then you have a driver incompatibility with the RT.X2. Check for any updates from Matrox. If nothing there, check if transparent video works in a non-Matrox preset.

• 4. Re: "Transparent Video" is NOT transparent
                tjcfisher Level 1

Curt,

I switched my Player Settings in Preferences from Matrox to Adobe and that didn't fix the problem either.

Tim

• 5. Re: "Transparent Video" is NOT transparent
                  Curt Wrigley Level 4

What does it look like if it isnt transparent?

Edit: Switchign player settings probably wont work.   You need to operate in a preset that doesnt use matrox and source clips not using the matrox codec.  In other words capture raw footage to a non matrox preset and re-test.

• 6. Re: "Transparent Video" is NOT transparent
                    tjcfisher Level 1

When I drag the Transparent Video" over to the timeline,  it is pure black, as well as, color bars.  Yet I can add Color Matte and I can make it as transparent as I want.  Very Weird!

Tim

• 7. Re: "Transparent Video" is NOT transparent
                      Curt Wrigley Level 4

tjcfisher wrote:

When I drag the Transparent Video" over to the timeline,  it is pure black, as well as, color bars.  Yet I can add Color Matte and I can make it as transparent as I want.  Very Weird!

Tim

Did you try our suggestion?   Use a non matrox preset with source clips captured from a pr (non matrox preset).  Im 95% sure this is a matrox problem.

• 8. Re: "Transparent Video" is NOT transparent
                        tjcfisher Level 1

No, I haven't tried re-capturing video without the Marox, but here is a goofy question.

I've gone to a blank location on the Timeline and placed a Blue Color Matte on Video Track 1—which means it wasn't captured through Matrox, and I still get the black screen when I place the Transparent Video on Video Track 2 above it.  I also tried putting a jpg picture on Video track 1 with the same "black" results.

Does that help you, or am I not understanding why I need to re-capture "video" without the Matrox?  Is Matrox still involved, even if the assets are not brought in by Matrox?

Tim

• 9. Re: "Transparent Video" is NOT transparent
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

Footage isn't the issue; you need to try a sequence preset that doesn't use the Matrox settings. Just create a new project (for argument's sake) and in it, create a new sequence that DOESN'T use the Matrox presets. Simply create something like an NTSC DV 48kHz sequence using the Adobe-supplied presets. Test out color bars and transparent video there; dimes to donuts, it'll work just fine.

• 10. Re: "Transparent Video" is NOT transparent
                            Curt Wrigley Level 4

tjcfisher wrote:

No, I haven't tried re-capturing video without the Marox, but here is a goofy question.

I've gone to a blank location on the Timeline and placed a Blue Color Matte on Video Track 1—which means it wasn't captured through Matrox, and I still get the black screen when I place the Transparent Video on Video Track 2 above it.  I also tried putting a jpg picture on Video track 1 with the same "black" results.

Does that help you, or am I not understanding why I need to re-capture "video" without the Matrox?  Is Matrox still involved, even if the assets are not brought in by Matrox?

Tim

Read Colin's post.  I think he is right; its probably not necessary to recapture footage to test since you are testing non captured acessts.   Just use a non matrox preset.

• 11. Re: "Transparent Video" is NOT transparent
                              Colin Brougham Level 6

I just took a look over at the Matrox forums for RT.X2. Apparently, if you installed 4.1, you're hosed... it's wreaking havoc with the RT.X2. I'd imagine Matrox will have "working" drivers in 2-3 months

If you are indeed on 4.1, you might want to start rebuilding your system now, and only go so far as 4.0.1 if you want to use the Matrox anchor card.

• 12. Re: "Transparent Video" is NOT transparent
                                Jhvegas Level 1

Colin is right - I'm a long term Matrox Abusee (did I say that? I meant 'Matrox User') and 4.1 shot me out of the water.

I'm right now re-installing production studio, hoping and praying that I won't have to rebuild my vista64 box from scratch (deadlines looming).

Also, FWIW, prior to 4.1 I had very funky Opacity issues that were related to speed changes in the timeline. Basically (in Matrox) the opacity fades weren't working correct unless the footage was 100% speed.

Oi - time to insert disc 5... catch up later

• 13. Re: "Transparent Video" is NOT transparent
                                  tjcfisher Level 1

Colin,

You're right!

I started a new project without Matrox involved and the Transparent Video, and Color Bars video are working properly.

Ouch!

This is scary.

Thanks Colin and Curt for your help.  Hopefully, the Matrox "fix" is here soon.

Tim

• 14. Re: "Transparent Video" is NOT transparent
                                    Phil Griffith Level 2

Don't use Matrox, and never have. But from the common thread I've seen here, The "Matrox fix"  is not have Matrox.

• 15. Re: "Transparent Video" is NOT transparent
                                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Bummer, dudes I had the misfortune of owning and attempting to use an RT.X-spew for about 6 months, before I removed it from my computer like an infected appendix. Ever since, my editing experience has been much smoother--though of course, Premiere still has its "moments". And I get great performance with DVCPRO HD on a couple-year-old HP workstation--I really have to push it before dropped frames or stuttering or diminished playback resolution become problematic. All that realtime nonsense from Matrox is just marketing babble...

Have fun with your re-installs

• 16. Re: "Transparent Video" is NOT transparent
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                                        The "Matrox fix"  is not have Matrox.

That is superb advise!!! And it tells it all.