6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2009 2:35 PM by Sean_Wilson

Projector Crashes on XP

EddieWiliiams

Hello,

Been away from Director for several years. I remember I went through all of this before, and resolved it, but now I'm more than a little fuzzy on the details!

I'm authoring a projector on a Mac (using MX 2004). Thsi si for playback on Windows X machinesP. It's a pretty simple file, really just a container so folks can click and view some mpg video files.

I downloaded Buddy api, and I THINK all is where it should be, but the instructions are confusing (to me, anyway). I also think there is an issue where the same xtra file has 2 names? I read that in one of the many forum-type postings I found. I'm totally confused now.

I did download the Win version of Buddy Api and placed "baMac.x32" in the Windows xtras folder (though I don't see in Director where I "add" this particular one to the movie). I also cut and pasted that one sentence Buddy Api provides in the .txt file.

When any Win users try to play the EXE file , they get a message that it has to shut down. I don't see anything that mentions an xtra or anything, just that it encountered an error.

Can anyone point me to what is most likely the cause? I think I either am still lacking an xtra or have one or more in the wrong place.

And of course, I'm on a deadline. 

Any help is apprecviated (the more simplified the better!)

• 1. Re: Projector Crashes on XP
          EddieWiliiams Level 1

Just to follow up, the error message always references "iml32.dll"

I Googled this and found MANY folks with projectors that crash with this dll referenced (they typicaly are end-users, not Director users).

Does anyone know anything about this particular issue-- like a fix?  (or if it would happen even using the new version of Director?)

Thanks again!

• 2. Re: Projector Crashes on XP
            Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

Let's stick with your cross-post on directorforum.com until it runs its course.

• 3. Re: Projector Crashes on XP
              Dean Utian Adobe Community Professional

Hi Eddie,

The iml32.dll is related to Shockwave projectors. Look at my stub projector tutorial, which give you information on the dll files as well as the use of Xtras.

http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/publishing/projector.htm

Wish you all the best with your Director endevours.

Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
              http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/
              http://www.multimediacreative.com.au

• 4. Re: Projector Crashes on XP
                EddieWiliiams Level 1

Thanks, Dean‹ I have visited your site  many times in the past!

Confused about Shockwave, as this was a standard .exe projector.

What I did to make it work was remove an mp3 I had playing in a sound

channel. Don't know why‹ maybe not supposed to do that?

Anyway, all was moot, as the thing ultimatley failed anyway.

I had 5 movies I wanted viewers to click to play. I used mpg, thinking that

would be the best with almost (if not ALL) of my end users on Windows.  Boy

was I wrong! Only one of the machines inm y office played correctly!

The others showed a red box with an X, even though they could navigate to

the mpg file and play it directly with no problems! I don't understand that

at all!

If you could answer this, I would be grateful (already am , btw, for all the

support you give!):

As a Mac user, what is the best video option for me to use? Almost all of my

folks will be on Windows. I don't want them to have to load QT, though

probably make my life easier!

I have Squeeze, so can make most anything, but Directoe on the Mac won't

even "see" WMV! Very frustrating!

Thanks again for all you do!

Cheers!

Eddie Williams

• 5. Re: Projector Crashes on XP
                  Dean Utian Adobe Community Professional

Hi Eddie,

So in the Publish Sessting Dialog, Projector tab, Player Type, you had Standard not Shockwave?

If it worked by removing an mp3, maybe the mp3 Xtra was missing from the projector.

I'd say the best cross platform video type at this point in time is FLV. This can be played through the Flash Xtra so does not require any special software on the Mac or PC. In my tutorial site, I have template files for using FLVs with Director.

Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
                  http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/
                  http://www.multimediacreative.com.au

• 6. Re: Projector Crashes on XP
                    Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional
                    had 5 movies I wanted viewers to click to play. I used mpg, thinking that

would be the best with almost (if not ALL) of my end users on Windows.  Boy

was I wrong! Only one of the machines inm y office played correctly!

The others showed a red box with an X, even though they could navigate to

the mpg file and play it directly with no problems! I don't understand that

at all!

A red cross means a missing xtra. You didn't say what cast member type you linked to your MPEG file/s, so it's difficult to know what to suggest. If you imported them as QuickTime (so that the member type is #quickTimeMedia) then it's possible that QT isn't installed on the target PC and that the files play on the machine because some other media player (like WMP, for example) is registered to handle MPEG video files.

As a Mac user, what is the best video option for me to use? Almost all of my

folks will be on Windows. I don't want them to have to load QT, though

probably make my life easier!

I agree with Dean - FLV is a good option. No requirements/dependencies on pre-installed software. All you need to play them is the Flash Asset xtra.