6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2009 12:21 PM by Rothmorton

Problem launching FB4 after installation

John Hall Level 4

As soon as I try to launch FB I receive a dialog box with the following:

The Gumbo executable launcher was unable to locate its companion shared library.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled. Any other suggestions?

• 1. Re: Problem launching FB4 after installation
          John Hall Level 4

More clues. I found this db hiding behind the FB install splash screen:

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\JavaSoft\JRE\1.2\bin\java.exe

This application has requested the Runtim eto terminate it in an unusal way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

• 2. Re: Problem launching FB4 after installation
            John Hall Level 4

After uninstalling all versions of Java and deleting their folders, reinstalling FB4 worked fine.

• 3. Re: Problem launching FB4 after installation
              Jason San Jose Adobe Employee

Hi John,

That's interesting. It seems likely that your JAVA_HOME directory was set to your Java 1.2 install. We do bundle JRE 1.5 with our installers in the {install location}/jre.

When using the standalone installer, Flash Builder should use the bundled JRE. Which installer did you use?

Jason San Jose

Quality Engineer, Flash Builder

• 4. Re: Problem launching FB4 after installation
                John Hall Level 4

I used the Windows installer from the labs download page. Hope that helps. I must admit, I had a lot of pre-existing java updates and installations and during the FB install, I noticed the progress indicating it was installing the JRE but did encounter that problem which stayed until I deleted all Java versions and solely relied upon the install.

• 5. Same problem launching FB4 after installation
                  Rothmorton

I got the same error message on launch after install.  I found this post and did the same things to try to correct the error.  Unfortunately, I did not get the same result.  After clearing all JAVA versions from my computer and reinstalling Flash Builder, I get the same error. 

At this point, I need to keep on going with my project.  I think I'll just install the Flex 4 SDK and use Flex Builder 3.  Maybe Flash Builder will work better for me in the future.  Here's hoping.

• 6. Re: Same problem launching FB4 after installation
                    Rothmorton Level 1

Update:  The above mentioned error only occurred when I was trying to run the 30-day trial of Flash Builder 4 Beta.  I was able to correct the problem only when I applied for a trial extension serial number.  Since I am a registered user of Flex Builder 3, Adobe granted me a serial number for Flash Builder 4 Beta so that I could continue to test it.  I uninstalled Flash Builder 4 Beta, cleaned my registry, and reinstalled the program.  It worked fine with the new serial number.  Wow, I’m very excited!

Those who own Flex Builder 3 and want to get the extension serial number for Flash Builder 4 Beta should go here:  https://freeriatools.adobe.com/flashbuilder4beta/