10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2009 8:10 PM by joshtownsend

Does PrPro output an Xvid equivalent..???

fuaho Level 1

Just when you think it's safe...

I have an opportunity to be screened at a big event. Material is 9-minutes, 1280x720p, 30fps, stereo (3D) video, w/stereo audio.

I can output each individual (left & right) video from PrPro timeline. Uncompressed *.avi files are 27-GB per channel.

Venue will be High Def and the exhibitor has suggested I provide, "1280x720 using XVID Codec set to 60Mbps per side. That should be pretty uncompressed, but still fit on a couple of DVD's."

I don't know anything about Xvid. It seems to be an mpeg-4 format codec in open source that needs to be compiled or something.

Unfortunately, the submission deadline prevents me from doing a week's worth of R&D so I'm tossing it out to all you experienced folks.

Can PrPro output something that is equivalent to those specs?

TIA,

• 1. Re: Does PrPro output an Xvid equivalent..???
          Dan Isaacs Level 2

I have heard that Premiere has issues with importing and exporting Xvid. I have not verified this myself, but you can always export lossless (such as uncompressed or a codec like Lagarith) and opening the resulting file in VirtualDub --- and using VirtualDub to compress it to Xvid.

This can also save you some time, as compressing Xvide from a "flattened" lossless AVI file will be much faster than rendering from the timeline --- especially if you need to experiment with various compression settings and/or use 2-pass encoding.

• 2. Re: Does PrPro output an Xvid equivalent..???
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I would first go to the DivX site and look into their encoder. I've used it quite a bit, but only with SD material. In my case, I've just Exported as a muxed DV-AVI w/ PCM Auido and run that through the encoder. IIRC, it was about US$40. For HD, you might want to check their specs first. That should also tell you what Export formats will work best for your footage. Xvid is the open source of DivX.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Does PrPro output an Xvid equivalent..???
              joshtownsend Level 2

Why not export a good quilty h.264 file. It might be 20% less effiecent but the you can make a good looking 1080 file that's  30 megs a minute.

Or why not just export to a nice high quality Blu-ray file.  H.264 or Mpeg-2

Xvid is a great codec but if it's not required go with something else right out of Premiere,

The only other optionis to render out uncompressed and then recompress it with (like someone said) VirtualDUB or even use the DIVX encoder.

• 4. Re: Does PrPro output an Xvid equivalent..???
                fuaho Level 1

Hunt,

I did go to the site and download the "latest & greatest" but when I tried to use "Configure Decoder", I got an "Error loading xvid.ax. The specified module could not be found." message.

For "Configure Encoder," I got an "Error loading xvidvfw.dll. The specified module could not be found." message.

I simply don't have the time to dig into all this. I need to get the files out the door to be accepted.

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Does PrPro output an Xvid equivalent..???
                  fuaho Level 1

Dan,

I'll take a look at virtualdub tonight as I already have the uncompressed files.

Thanks!

• 6. Re: Does PrPro output an Xvid equivalent..???
                    fuaho Level 1

Josh,

Since they specified 1280x720 60Mbps XVID per channel, I'll try to give them what they requested - if I can figure out how.

Thanks!

• 7. Re: Does PrPro output an Xvid equivalent..???
                      fuaho Level 1

Used VirtualDub with default settings and it took the 27GB file down to ~800MB.

So many settings, I have no idea how to get less compression. Aiming for 4.5GB.

Also, don't see anything re: 60Mbps. setting.

Anyone have any ideas or can point me to resources?

TIA,

• 8. Re: Does PrPro output an Xvid equivalent..???
                        joshtownsend Level 2

Doesn't  60Mbps = .6 gigs a minute or 1.2 gigs for 2 minutes? That's pretty big for Xvid... Hell thats bigger than Blu ray.

• 9. Re: Does PrPro output an Xvid equivalent..???
                          fuaho Level 1

This is the original info I received:

"...we will be using a pair of full-HD DLP's for polarized 3D. There will be several digital theatre periods throughout, and we will run an adventuresports/ exotictravel session, open to the public, probably on Sat July 11.

Format is 1920x1080 (or 1600x1200) onto a 16'x9' screen. Lightly compressed L,R, parallel or OU video files are probably the best..."

So obviously they are going for quality.

60 Mb = 0.05859375 or 0.06 Gb

Blu-ray H.264 = 40 Mb/sec

ProRes/DNxHD  = 220 Mb/sec

AVC-i = 100 Mb/sec

P2-DVCProHD = 100 Mb/sec

So 60 Mb/sec does not seem all thal extreme. I just don't know what settings to use in VirtualDub to get it.

All insights welcome...

• 10. Re: Does PrPro output an Xvid equivalent..???
                            joshtownsend Level 2

A few posts above you said you needed it 720 now your quoting something that says you need 1080. Which one do you want to encode.

Considering Xvid is more effeciant than even Blu-ray compression I'm still wondering why the bitrate is so high. At 40 Mb bluray is going to look as good as 1080 HD will ever look and xvid is 4 times more effecient. Other than BR you only compared it to codec that are meant for editing not for final viewing. A half a gig a minute IS extreme for final output. Most 1080 Blurays are encoded around 30mb or less VBR.

PROBLEM IS:

97% of the time XVID is used for uploading movies to the internet. The other 3% is for videogame cutscenes and stuff like your doing. I'll bet you might do better looking around some pirate forums.

The right way to do it is using Virtual Dub. Sure it's complicated and bleeding edge but so is 3d digital projection. I'm sure there are plenty of tutorials. You could try an encode on a minute until it's .6 gigs then you know you have the correct bitrate.

If want a simple point and click encode your going to have to search for a freeware or shareware thats mainly for encoding dvds or blurays to the internet.

Not what you wanted to hear I know