3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2009 4:47 AM by stephan.k

profiler alternatives?

stephan.k Level 1

are there any alternatives to the flex profiler?  I can't get it to work.  It's driving me crazy...

I keep getting the same error:

Error: ProfilerAgent.socketDataHandler: unknown command = 60
          at ProfilerAgent/socketDataHandler()[C:\faramir\flex\sdk\modules\profiler3\as\ProfilerAgent. as:1008]

Every time I go to a flash website this error now shows up.

• 1. Re: profiler alternatives?
          *Prashant Shelke* Level 4

Hi,

WSMonitor is other way to see how much memory Flash player consumes for runtime objects. We cannt say it is alternative as it only show consumption not the Classes & object which are taking memory.

See follwing steps to start profiler:

1. Close all browser instances.

2. Make a change in WEB-INF\flex\flex-config.xml(for web-applications)

<debug>true</debug>

3. Give path of SWF http:\\localhost:9090\application.swf

& ensure you have installed debugger version of flash player(which will get on adobe site lates 10.0.X)

Hope this will help you.

Thanks.

• 2. Re: profiler alternatives?
            stephan.k Level 1

Hi Prashant

Thank you again.

Question:  Where do you give the path to the swf?

Does the debugging work only for flash player 10 (content debugger)?  I am programming for flash player 9 and have therefore player 9 (content debugger) installed.  I have tried both players without luck, but I was wondering if I should just stick with player 10...?

Thank you.

-sk

• 3. Re: profiler alternatives?
              stephan.k Level 1

The problem seems to be in the following line in my mm.cfg file:

PreloadSwf=/Users/stephan/Documents/Flex Builder 3/.metadata/.plugins/com.adobe.flash.profiler/ProfilerAgent.swf?host=localhost&port=8888

Removing this line will make the swf appear in a new browser, but

- no objects appear and

- the console displays a "Socket timeout.".

- An Error pops up once the browser starts:

Error: ProfilerAgent.socketDataHandler: unknown command = 60
                  at ProfilerAgent/socketDataHandler()[C:\faramir\flex\sdk\modules\profiler3\as\ProfilerAgent. as:1008]

The ProfilerAgent seems to be setup wrong.  This C:\faramis path looks unfamiliar.  Not sure where this has been set.  How can I change this?  Where is the ProfilerAgent API?  Which class makes use of it?

When I remove the PreloadSwf line from the mm.cfg file, the debugger works.  I get all the traces in the console.  The profiler starts with suspending the application and giving me a few options:

- Connected from :  oldSite.com   (this option again is some other site I have developped earlier... not sure where this can be set?)

- Application: http://myapp:888/myapp.swf

- Enable Memory Profiling...

- Enable Performance Profiling...

Then once I hit resume, the console says: "socket timeout".  No objects or classes appear.  The memory profiler seems to be doing something.. not sure though if the line just stays very close to zero...

?

-sk