16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2009 3:00 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Pro CS4 4.1.0 update fails to import files

dap0022

I have the CS4 Master Collection on my Dell M90 dual-core laptop, 2 GB Ram, 160 GB HD, Windows Vista Ultimate SP2.  I've just observed the Adobe updater update Premiere, Aftereffects, and another application.

Suddenly, Premiere is gracing me with "File Import Failure" messages for all files that I try to import, saying that the files are unsupported or damaged.  Of course, the files are fine.

What do you recommend?

Best wishes

dap0022

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 4.1.0 update fails to import files
          dap0022 Level 1

Jim,

Thanks for your reply.

A variety: two Mpeg-1 with Mpeg-1 layer 2 audio codec, three Mpeg-2 with Mpeg-1 layer 2 audio codec.  Basic stuff.

They were previously handled by Premiere CS4 before the update.

Best wishes

Dan

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 4.1.0 update fails to import files
            splette Level 1

Hey Dan,

I may have the same problem. Did you try to create a new project and import some of that mpg footage? Does it work? I get the following error message: "Unsupported format or damaged file". As in your case, the file is fine, of course. Also, I can import avi files without problem. Could you also try to create a new HDV project? Because this option suddenly disappeared in my installation after upgrading to 4.1.0. Only DV is available anymore...

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 4.1.0 update fails to import files
              BrothersCorral

I'm having the same problem.

I was working on a project for a client but he he gave me .m2v and .ac3 files.  I loaded them up into Premiere Pro CS4 and edited the files perfectly.  After the update, I opened my project file and now everything is offline.  If I try importing .m2v, .ac3, or .VOB files, Premiere Pro rejects them and gives me an error message of "file not supported".

Anyone else have this problem?  It seems to be only MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 files that were affected by the update.

Thanks!

PS, I'm editing on an Intel-Mac Pro.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 4.1.0 update fails to import files
                dap0022 Level 1

Yes, I've tried old projects, new projects and Premiere now is generally uncooperative with my Mpegs.  Other video applications have no problem with them and GSpot video appliance reports no errors.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 4.1.0 update fails to import files
                  BrothersCorral Level 1

Here's something even stranger.  I re-installed the previous CS3 version of Premiere Pro that I have and all mpeg2 files work just fine with Premiere Pro CS3.  I un-installed and re-installed Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 but still have had no luck getting my m2v, ac3, or VOB support back.

It's odd that CS3 works just fine and CS4 doesn't.  I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the 4.1 update and the new VOB support it claimed to have.

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 4.1.0 update fails to import files
                    BrothersCorral Level 1

Hey dap0022

I everything is working again.  I spoke with Tom Dent, a rep for Adobe, and he emailed me the following:

Carlos,

I found some “clean uninstall” apps to completely remove any isolated elements belonging to a CS4 install at:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/406/kb406241.html. Maybe this could help stabilize what you had going prior to the update

-Tom Dent

Good news is everything is working again.  I have my MPEG-1, MPEG-2, M2V, VOB, and AC3 support back and I was able to update to Adobe Premiere Pro 4.1 with no problems.  I don't recieve the "file not supported" error message anymore.

Here's what I did:

I un-installed Premiere Pro CS4 and also ran the CS4 Cleaner application that Tom sent me via that link above.  Turns out, I had some old CS3 stuff still on my comp and I also have a previous install of Premiere Pro CS4 Trail, which I though I had gotten rid of a while back, but since I didn't use the clean up utility, I think the 4.1 update may have thought I was updating to 4.1 Trail or something.

So to anyone having these problems, your best solution is to uninstall everything, run the CS4/CS3 cleaner, then do a fresh install once more.  I know its a pain, but it worked for me.

Also, all of my HDV and Redcode project settings have returned and didn't disappear after the 4.1 update like last time.

Hope this helps!

Carlos

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 4.1.0 update fails to import files
                      dap0022 Level 1

Carlos

Thanks very much! That's good to know!

Unfortunately, my MC CS4 appears to be installed as a unit, and the MS uninstall utility lists just the MC--and not Premiere, Flash, Photoshop, etc, individually.  So, I anticipate I'll need to uninstall the whole MC CS4, run the cleaner, and reinstall everything all over again as you suggest.

It seems rather draconian solution (deleting the .xmp files didn't work), but I'll just set aside a morning and do it.

BUT, if there is an alternative to a complete MC uninstall/reinstall, I'm interested!  Otherwise, wish me luck.

Best wishes

Dan

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 4.1.0 update fails to import files
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

two Mpeg-1 with Mpeg-1 layer 2 audio codec, three Mpeg-2 with Mpeg-1 layer 2 audio codec.  Basic stuff.

As as aside, those are anything but "basic files" and use of such is less than ideal.

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 4.1.0 update fails to import files
                          BMCorp

Same problem here..

We have MC CS4, and it takes ages to install, plus we have a ton of 3rd party plugins especially for Premiere, Photoshop and After effects.

I really think it's unfair that we're being told we have to uninstall, clean up some mess and reinstall again to overcome what is obviously an Adobe mistake??

There must be some other option.  I must admit being nervous now wondering if this is going to happen with one of the other MC programs after some other update.

Whoever created the update must have an idea what went wrong, or give us some way to 'roll back' that particular update until they can fix it.

Even giving us some file to overwrite would help.

Sorry if this seems brash, but we're a business, and just don't have the time for something so drastic.

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 4.1.0 update fails to import files
                            solarsaur

I was able to fix it by uninstalling only premiere pro cs4 and then reinstalling it. Then I downloaded the 4.0.1 update (110ish MB) and everything works again.

• 12. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 4.1.0 update fails to import files
                              leonbasi

The same thing happened to me, but I wasn't able to fix it. Adobe Update prompted me to install updates yesterday, and when I opened my Premiere project, all mpg media was offline, and I was presented with the unsupported or damaged file whenever I tried to use the Replace Footage function to link back to the video files. I uninstalled Premiere, but all the re-installations failed, claiming error 1603. I uninstalled the whole master suite then, and attempted to run the CS4 clean up utility, but it didn't found any session to delete, so the script wasn't executed. However, most of what the uninstaller supposedly deleted could still be found in Program Files (no trace of it in the add/remove programs dialog however). I therefore proceeded to reinstall the whole suite, and now most of the main programs failed (PS, AE, IL, alongside with PPro); it only manages to install secondary programs like AME or Device Central.

Has anybody found any solution? This couldn't come at a worse moment, I have multiple deadlines next week and I was already behind. Can an update mess up everything so much? Any help would be enormously appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Leo.

P.S: I'm running XP SP3, on a Pentium IV 3.2ghz, 3gb RAM and a GeForce 9600

edit: AME and Device Central also failed

• 13. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 4.1.0 update fails to import files
                                solarsaur Level 1

use the clean up utility and remember to restart your computer when done.then

reinstall the suite with whatever method you want and go to adobe.com and

download the 4.0.1 update

DO NOT INSTALL THE 4.1.0 UPDATE.

That should fix your problem and render m2ts files correctly again

Hope that helps,

Peter.

• 14. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 4.1.0 update fails to import files
                                  BMCorp Level 1

I feel your pain.

This update has been a nightmare..

We were finally able to get Premiere working again after our IT people restored the folders from recent Ghost backups.

Even then it took a lot of messing around, booting to DOS and 'safe mode', as many of the files were locked in XP.

Word to all,  if you have not updated yet, back up your entire hard drive first.  even 'restore points' won't help if things go wrong.

• 15. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 4.1.0 update fails to import files
                                    leonbasi Level 1

I finally managed to fix it, after following some of the guidelines and comments in this page:

http://www.streetmusician.co.uk/adobecs4installation.php

Most importantly, I ran the cs3 cleanup tool, even though I never installed CS3, and after that, I did a search for .cs4 in the registry and deleted alll the found keys. Before installing, I shut down absolutely everything, and disabled firewall and antivirus. Doing all of this, I was able to install most of the products, but Premiere (the one I REALLY need) still failed, only this time the error number was the 1402 as well as the 1603. So I followed adobe.com article on solving the 1402 (changing permissions in a specific registry key), ran the installation again without uninstalling, and this time around, and after a long waiting time, Premiere finally installed.

I'm never updating again.

I hope this is useful for you,

Leo.

• 16. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 4.1.0 update fails to import files
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Leo,

Good news and thanks for posting the steps toward your resolution of the installation issues.

Hunt