12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2009 9:35 PM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

Basic Installation - Mac

augiecrazy8

I'm trying to evaluate a trial of After Effects... I've got the .dmg file, click the setup folder, ready to go.  Then I get an error that's telling me the database isn't valid?  I tried to as for installation help from Adobe, and because it's a trial version, I get nothing but an attached .pdf that sends me to some bogus page that does NO GOOD.

I am incredibly frustrated and really would like to check out this software, as it will be the main determining factor in me purchasing Apple's Final Cut Studio, or Premiere and After Effects.  Except I can't get the damned program on my computer.  Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Basic Installation - Mac
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Looks like the downloaded file may have become corrupted.

Setup shouldn't appear to you as a folder. It's a package - ie, a kind of Mac OS folder that appears to the user as an application.

In any case, it seems the installer is not finding what it's looking for.

Have you tried downloading it again?

• 2. Re: Basic Installation - Mac
            elaine montoya Level 3

Sorry you're frustrated with the process, but 99.9% of the time, it works without a problem.

So let's try to figure out where your problem exists. We need a little more information though .... you said you are installing on a Mac. I assume it is an Intel Mac? Give me some more details.

Also, did you happen to have a previous trial installed? This can cause problems when trying to reinstall.

I would recommend:

- re-download the file, to make sure it didn't get corrupt in the process <http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=after_effects&loc=en>

- download the mac version of this cleanup script before reinstalling the trial <http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs4clean.html>

- run the cleanup script

- then try running the newly downloaded AE trial.

It should work without a problem.

Also, make sure your system meets the minimum requirements:

<http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/systemreqs/>

Let me know if this works.

elaine

• 3. Re: Basic Installation - Mac
              augiecrazy8 Level 1

Thanks for all the help, I'll have to try the clean up script when I'm able tonight.  I have tried to download this file several times, at least 4 times now, each time redownloading.  I guess its possible there are remnants of past failed downloads. As for information about my computer, its an iMac, intel, 4 GB of ram, 3.2 ghz processor and all the latest video cards etc, it more than exceeds the minimum requirements across the board.  I'll try all the suggested again tonight, thanks for the help

Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 22:05:50 -0600

To: augiecrazy8@hotmail.com

Subject: Basic Installation - Mac

Sorry you're frustrated with the process, but 99.9% of the time, it works without a problem.

So let's try to figure out where your problem exists. We need a little more information though .... you said you are installing on a Mac. I assume it is an Intel Mac? Give me some more details.

Also, did you happen to have a previous trial installed? This can cause problems when trying to reinstall.

I would recommend:

- re-download the file, to make sure it didn't get corrupt in the process <http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=after_effects&loc=en>

- download the mac version of this cleanup script before reinstalling the trial <http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs4clean.html>

- run the cleanup script

- then try running the newly downloaded AE trial.

It should work without a problem.

Also, make sure your system meets the minimum requirements:

<http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/systemreqs/>

Let me know if this works.

elaine

>

• 4. Re: Basic Installation - Mac
                elaine montoya Level 3

It looks like your machine does meet all of the requirements for AE CS4, so give the clean-up script a try. Because installation is rarely an issue, my guess is that you have remnants left on your machine that are causing problems.

Also, make sure all applications are closed before doing the installation.

good luck!

elaine

• 5. Re: Basic Installation - Mac
                  augiecrazy8 Level 1

Alright, now I'm just getting downright upset.  I run the clean-up script, and it's finding After Effects CS3.  I apparently tried to download that version at some point.  So I try to uninstall it first, which is what the instructions tell me to do.  I get the same database error.  Well then I try to use the clean-up script, select the correct file, and all the script does is close on me.  I open it back up, try and the same thing, the After Effects CS3 is still showing up, click clean-up, program just closes.  Awesome!!! And even though I have $2,000 worth of other Adobe products on my computer, I can't get technical support for the trial version of CS4.  Thanks Adobe!!!! Great flipping work.  I appreciate all the help and concern... I'll never updgrade all my software, and I'll start using freeware online because I refuse to support a company any longer that won't support me.

Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 10:17:32 -0600

It looks like your machine does meet all of the requirements for AE CS4, so give the clean-up script a try. Because installation is rarely an issue, my guess is that you have remnants left on your machine that are causing problems.

Also, make sure all applications are closed before doing the installation.

good luck

elaine

>

• 6. Re: Basic Installation - Mac

I am sorry to hear this. And I feel your frustration.

Bear in mind that if the clean script reports After Effects CS3 as an installed version, this is because it was completely or partially installed and added to the installer database. If it was not removed properly, there may be remaining debris causing all this conflict.

It's the first time I hear about the Clean Script crashing when removing things, but I know that won't make things better for you.

If you go yo Users/yourname/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Installers... is there an installer for After Effects CS3? If there is, you could try using that one to clean any remainin bits.

Also, while the CS4 clean script should be able to remove CS3 applications, you can try the CS3 Clean script:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs3clean.html

• 7. Re: Basic Installation - Mac

Sorry, about the path for the Adobe installers/uninstallers for CS3... Also try: Applications/Utilities/Adobe Installers.

Try this or the path I posted above before trying the CS3 Clean script (which should not needed, if it wasn't because the CS4 clean script is not working for you).

• 8. Re: Basic Installation - Mac
                        elaine montoya Level 3

Sorry to hear you are so frustrated. Unfortunately, things like this happen once in a while . . . but for the most part the installation process works like a charm and users can easily start working with the software.

The reasons these issues happen, also varies widely from how the end user worked with a previous version. For example, if someone had installed AE CS3 and then just dragged the folder to the trash, like you used to with old Mac applications, that would not completely install the application - and would cause issues with future installs. Or if for example, someone had installed an unlicensed version (bit torrent, etc.), the application could have been modified in a way that would prevent the Adobe uninstaller from correctly uninstalling the application.

99.9% of the time if an application was previously installed as a trial version or a licensed version, the clean up scripts (both CS3 and CS4 scripts) will resolve the issue.

It's really difficult to say what your specific problem might be without being in front of your computer. My suggestion would be to run the CS3 cleanup script first, and then follow that with the CS4 clean-up script, and then try to reinstall.

good luck!

elaine

• 9. Re: Basic Installation - Mac
                          augiecrazy8 Level 1

I appreciate everyone's time.  I've tried the CS3 script, the CS4 scripts, removed all remnants I can find of any CS3 & 4 applications.  I'm thinking I'm just going to give up.

Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 08:59:34 -0600

Sorry to hear you are so frustrated. Unfortunately, things like this happen once in a while . . . but for the most part the installation process works like a charm and users can easily start working with the software.

The reasons these issues happen, also varies widely from how the end user worked with a previous version. For example, if someone had installed AE CS3 and then just dragged the folder to the trash, like you used to with old Mac applications, that would not completely install the application - and would cause issues with future installs. Or if for example, someone had installed an unlicensed version (bit torrent, etc.), the application could have been modified in a way that would prevent the Adobe uninstaller from correctly uninstalling the application.

99.9% of the time if an application was previously installed as a trial version or a licensed version, the clean up scripts (both CS3 and CS4 scripts) will resolve the issue.

It's really difficult to say what your specific problem might be without being in front of your computer. My suggestion would be to run the CS3 cleanup script first, and then follow that with the CS4 clean-up script, and then try to reinstall.

good luck!

elaine

>

• 10. Re: Basic Installation - Mac

I think this technical support document has the key to get things going when the installer database is corrupt or invalid:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405602.html

First, it instructs you to use the CS4 clean script and remove everything.

I understand you already could do that without the script crashing?

Then, you have to delete the Caps folder, which contains the installer database:

• On Windows:          
                              Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\caps\caps.db          
                              Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\backup\caps.db
                            • On Mac OS:          
                              /Library/Application Support/Adobe/caps          
                              /Library/Application Support/Adobe/backup

I suspect there's light at the end of the tunnel. So give this a try

• 11. Re: Basic Installation - Mac
                              augiecrazy8 Level 1

I appreciate all the help... the CS4 clean script is crashing, and so is the CS3 clean script (oh, and how much nicer is the CS4 clean script).  I've looked into my library, and I don't have a caps or backup folder/file.  I'm completely dumbfounded.

Again, I really do appreciate all the help on this matter.  This forum has been a million times more helpful than Adobe support.  I will continue to look through the help sections you've sent, and hopefully I'll figure something out.

Thanks

Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 22:25:23 -0600

I think this technical support document has the key to get things going when the installer database is corrupt or invalid:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405602.html

First, it instructs you to use CS4 clean script and remove everything.

I understand you already could do that without the script crashing?

Then, you have to delete the Caps folder, which contains the installer database:

• On Windows:          

Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\caps\caps.db          

Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\backup\caps.db

• On Mac OS:          

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/caps          

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/backup

I suspect there's light at the end of the tunnel. So give this a try

>

• 12. Re: Basic Installation - Mac

Augie:

The caps folder contains the installer database. If it's not there, it can't be corrupt or invalid

The clean script is a nuclear weapon against installer issues. It's the first time I hear about it crashing. I guess there's a first time for everything.

Trashing the caps folder is total annihilation for the installer database.

Have you checked in both the user library and the general library paths?

If you delete the caps folder, there's no need to use the clean script. There's nothing left to clean

Remember, deleting the caps folder really means you'll have to install everything Adobe again (I hope the installer will work!). Otherwise the installer won't be able to remove them next time (wait a second... )