1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 3, 2009 1:12 AM by Paul_LS

can you turn off the auto fill feature in elements 4?

SupaSpiffyGuy

Everytime I delete clip earlier in the timeline everything behind it merges to fill the gap and messes up my sequences. Is there any way to turn that off?  I'm having to use an older version of pro so that when I delete clips they stay there when earlier clips are deleted but I'd rather not....

• 1. Re: can you turn off the auto fill feature in elements 4?
          Paul_LS Level 4

This might be helpful from some of my old notes. The ripple behavior can be overcome by the use of the CTRL button. However it depends on whether you press CTRL before or after you start moving the clip. When moving clips around in the timeline there are 4 basic types of movement Lift, Extract, Insert and Overlay:

The first two, Lift and Extract have to do with how the clip is moved OUT of it's current position. To see what I mean, hover your mouse over a clip in the timeline, then press and release the CTRL key while watching the status text string in the lower left of the application window, you'll see that holding CTRL before clicking and dragging triggers the extract behavior (which tells the timeline that there is a gap being created that should be closed) but clicking and dragging with no CTRL modifier allows the Lift behavior (which tells the TL to ignore the gap)

The second two, Insert and Overlay have to do with how the clip is placed IN to it's new position, that is, whether it is Overlaid over exisitng footage without any ripple movement or Inserted within the existing footage, causing any following media (including that on other tracks) to be rippled forward.

Since there is no way to lock down tracks in PE, you must always be mindful of what this default rippling behavior is doing to overlapping media on other tracks.