3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2009 6:19 PM by Jim_Simon

Auto Save woes

gigapede

I am having trouble recovering files in Adobe Premiere CS3.2.

I had my auto save feature set to automatically save every 20 minutes and to save up to 5 versions.  I have since adjusted this to save up to 10 files every 10 minutes.  The reality is the latest version that I have after a crash is usually the last one that I manually saved, which in this case was over an hour ago.

My system clock time is set correctly and I have no file problems, otherwise.

First: I tried the F1 help for every combination of "recover", "auto-save", "autosave", "auto save", "auto" and "save" to no avail.  Then I tried searching Google and the adobe forums.  I saw that someone was having trouble with their auto-save but it wasn't the same problem.

(side note: It is maddening that "auto save" is not in the help directory and when I use it here online it searches in every other adobe product forum.)

Next: In order to find the auto-save folder, I searched my hard drives for all files created today and had to root around for it.  I found the folder with the five "xxx-#.prproj" files in it.  None of them were from "20 minutes" ago.  It was 1:33am when the crash occurred.  "shorts-4.prproj" was saved at 11:28pm.  I "refreshed" the folder and rubbed my eyes to be sure.

Please, someone, tell me how to recover a crashed project.  I have to keep working tonight, but it seems like a "feature" that my CS3 is missing.

• 1. Re: Auto Save woes
          the_wine_snob Level 9

When working properly, AutoSave should be creating and saving to an AutoSave folder within the Project folder structure, depending on the loctation of the Scratch Disks - Edit>Preferences>Scratch Disks. For each session, doing a physical Save (Ctrl-s or otherwise) invokes the AutoSave timing function. On aspect that some miss is that if nothing is done, to the Project, AutoSave goes dormant, so that it does not overwrite all other AutoSaves at the timed increments, thus giving you multiple versions of the same exact file.

In your stated instance, you have it set to do 10 AutoSaves @ 10 min. increments. This will yield 10 files incremented from 001 through 010. When file 010 is reached, then AutoSave begins the cycle all over at 001, overwriting it, and following though the cycle again. This means that 001 could well be newer than 010. To see what the actual order is, one needs to change View to Details in Windows Expolorer and then click on Date/Time. This is more important than the 001 - 010 file naming convention. Note that the times may well not be in 10 minute increments. If you went to get coffee and took 15 mins. to get back to editing, there will be a gap in the timing. Leaving PrPro open, while you go and work in PS, or Au, or SB, will also leave a time gap, as nothing was done in PrPro.

As I work, with AutoSave ON, I also do a Save_As, or Save_As_a_Copy, after a particularly involved session, or maybe heavy Keyframing. The difference between these two is that Save_As will first Save (with name specified - usually an incremented number for me), and keep that version in the program for additional editing. Save_As_a_Copy (with name specified - usually an incremented number for me), will place a "copy" in the Project folder, but you are still working with the original (prior to doing Save_As_a_Copy), and not the "copy." Each can be very useful, and the decision on which to use is up to the editor. If you want to continue working on the same Project file, use Save_As. change the name as desired, and keep editing. To do a "snapshot" of a point in time, that will be frozen exactly as is, Save_As_a_Copy is the choice, and you will NOT be working in that "copy." I use each heavily for the slightly different reasons.

Now, if you Open a Project, edit for a bit, and hit Save once, and the AutoSave does NOT initiate after 10 mins. of editing (your setting), something is very wrong.

Note that if you are working on several Projects, you should have an AutoSave folder with files in each Project folder structure.

Hope that this helps and that you do not have a problem with the AutoSave function. It has saved my bacon more than once. [pun intended]

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Auto Save woes
            gigapede Level 1

Thank you for your thoroughness!  I understood that the files cycle through the numbers, but I worked for an hour of real cuts and the most recent "auto-save" was from over an hour prior.  So I think you might be correct, something is wrong and I should look into re-installing the software.  I hope that the other aspects you explained such as where to find the files (there should be a recovery folder on the loader splash screen!) and how the files work is exactly what the F1 help and forums were missing.  Thank you!

• 3. Re: Auto Save woes
              Jim_Simon Level 8

AutoSave should be creating and saving to an AutoSave folder within the Project folder structure, depending on the loctation of the Scratch Disks - Edit>Preferences>Scratch Disks.

The auto save folder (and hence files) are always in the same folder as the project, regardless of scratch disk settings.

For each session, doing a physical Save (Ctrl-s or otherwise) invokes the AutoSave timing function

I have not found this to be the case.  I can do a manual save, and then 20 seconds later, auto save times in.  The two seem to be entirely independant of each other.

if you Open a Project, edit for a bit, and hit Save once, and the AutoSave does NOT initiate after 10 mins. of editing (your setting), something is very wrong.

Not necessarily.  There are editing activities that will prevent an auto save (Import, render, etc.)  If you happen to be doing one of those things at the auto save interval, it will be skipped.  I've worked for well over an hour with no auto save engaging.  (Hence the frequent manual saves upon any segment completion.)