10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2009 12:26 AM by ThornieG

Premiere Pro CS4.1 Freezes  when using the Write-on Effect

ThornieG Level 1

I have windows xp with Intel Core (2) Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz, 4GB ram. Program and operating system is on Drive C. Premiere Project and assets are on separate hard drive with the paging file on same set to 8184. NVidea GeForce 9500 GT.

I have just updated to 4.1. When I try to use the Write-on effect on a photo ( which I have resampled to 720 x 576 pixels), after applying a brush size and starting keyframing, the program stops responding. I then click Enter to start  rendering  because red line over photo and the render box comes up and nothing happens and the program freezes. The only way thing to do is use the Task Manager to close the unresponsive Prem pro, which takes a bit of encouraging to do.

I repeated my actions with no other asset in a new project apart from this one photo. I tried the same thing with the Black Video and same thing occurred.

I am able to use the write-on effect with any normal video clip, but it seems it will not work properly with still clips.

I will export my still clips to an AVI file as a workaround, but I don't think this should be happening.

Would appreciate it if someone else has a play with this effect using a still clip and see what happens. It may be that other effects will also play up with still clips. I hope not, because I do like to use the odd photo in my movies from time to time.

Seriously think this is a bug in 4.1. Hope I have given enough information. Don't want to get scolded by Harm Millaard.

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS4.1 Freezes  when using the Write-on Effect
          Harm Millaard Level 7

I will not scold you. You did your best to supply relevant information. However, when I tried the write-on effect on a PNG in a HDV project, it renders without problems, so I can not replicate this behaviour with 4.1 Something else must be going on. Did you try with other kind of stills, for instance BMP, PSD or PNG?

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS4.1 Freezes  when using the Write-on Effect
            ThornieG Level 1

Thank you for not scolding and such a quick response. The stills I used were jpgs. I will have a play with a couple of other formats and as you did not have a problem I will try some other stuff and report back.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS4.1 Freezes  when using the Write-on Effect
              Harm Millaard Level 7

I use an ATI card, so I am not current on nVidia drivers, but it may be worthwhile to check you have the latest video driver version installed. You are running SP3, aren't you?

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS4.1 Freezes  when using the Write-on Effect
                ThornieG Level 1

Good idea. I updated my Nvidia drivers, but unfortunately the problem remains. I tried a 15 second color matte from the project window's new item menu. Same problem. I then rendered a color matte as an avi file (720x526 DV AVI PAL by the way). Write-on worked perfectly on the new avi clip. I then made a 720x576 colored clip in Photoshop, saved as a png,  and put it into a new sequence. I copied the write-on attributes from the avi clip and pasted the attributes to the png clip. Same problem. Each time I try to do anything with the effect on a still PP freezes. One time when I clicked Enter and the Render box came up it started to render the clip and showed that the 15 second sequence would take 43 minutes to render. Seeing you do not have any problem, I will assume it is probably a conflict with my graphics card. I have a workaround by creating an avi file. So at least I can get my project finished.

Oh, and yes I am running SP3 and keep pretty much everything on my computer up to date. Even the graphics driver I just installed only came out in May so I was only a little tardy.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS4.1 Freezes  when using the Write-on Effect
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

The render times you had, that once appeared are excessive. Could there be any codecs installed on your system that create this havoc?

If you like I'll have a look at your DXDIAG.TXT file and see if I discern anything strange that may be causing this.

Use the camera icon and upload the TXT file. It works much faster than attaching a file.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS4.1 Freezes  when using the Write-on Effect
                    ThornieG Level 1

Hi Harm,

Thanks for all this. I have attached the  DxDiag.txt file. Sorry I could not figure out how to attach using the camera icon. It would not allow. Would have replied sooner but nearly midnight here and had to go to bed.

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS4.1 Freezes  when using the Write-on Effect
                      ThornieG Level 1

Further to the problem with the Write-on effect. Have just tested it out on another computer prior to installing 4.1. Computer is Core 2 CPU6300 @ 1.86 GHz and 2 GB Ram.  Card is Gigabyte Radeon x300. I understand it is not super duper, but appears healthy and handles all other tasks to date without a hitch. Tried to use Write-on effect on Color Matte. Same problem, so this must, at least, be happening to others out there, or doesn't anyone want to draw a line on a map etc...these days? I tried different sequence settings NTSC and PAL, all DV AVI SD. Also tried different settings for the Color Matte. All with the same result. That is - Sluggish to change the brush position, to totally unresponsive and rendering a 5 sec sequence 30 mins, with 3 keyframe positions laboriously applied.

Tried the effect on a random video clip and worked like a dream.

Maybe the effect only works on stills with ATI card? I know in the past some graphic effects in various programs will only work with certain cards. That is actually why I got NVidia, it seemed to have the best reputation. Maybe I need ATI. Before I do anything I will play with some other effects that I haven't used so far to see if there are any similar problems.

Would it be possible for someone to try this effect on a still on a computer with a non ATI card?

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CS4.1 Freezes  when using the Write-on Effect
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Your hardware looks OK. The drivers appear up-to-date. However, you may have a possible cause in all the software codecs you have installed. You have Nero, Ulead, Line21, XVid, TS Strider, Radlight, Dirac and a whole lot of other codecs installed. Sorry for the blunt language, but your system may be seriously polluted, maybe not by SnagIt or Camtasia, but possibly by any of the other codecs installed. This may as a consequence also apply to your registry.

Luckily you use on-board sound, so there is no pollution from SB or similar devices.

I hope you have restore points so you can go back to situations before Nero, Ulead to try out. Maybe that helps.

You have helped me in figuring out what my 'next guide' should be about. The sequence in which you install programs, how to make a restore point and how to make slip-streamed installations, so you can recover from codec corruptions and keep your system clean, lean and mean. Thank you! (it may be some time before I find the time to write it though...)

Back to your problem, you have so many codecs installed and uninstalling them is an enormous hassle, but it may be the only way to solve your issue. Worst case scenario is a complete reinstall of OS and CS4, without the various codec packs (that is where a slip streamed install is handy). I would first try to (maybe temporarily) uninstall NERO, Ulead, Line21, TS Strider, Radlight and Dirac and maybe other codecs and see if that helps you.

Let us know what your results are.

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro CS4.1 Freezes  when using the Write-on Effect
                          ThornieG Level 1

Thank you for all your help and your suggestions. I will start to uninstall the various programs, one by one and test the results. I will let you know how I go.

Again, I really appreciate the time and effort you have put in to this matter.

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro CS4.1 Freezes  when using the Write-on Effect
                            ThornieG Level 1

Hi Harm,

Just a quick note to say that I have not yet got around to uninstalling programs. I use most of them and would prefer to leave as is at the moment. I did however find a brilliant work around in a reply to a similar problem with the gradient effect. It would seem that Adobe has corrected the bug for the gradient effect but not for the write-on.

The work around is to nest the stills sequence in a new sequence and voila!!!! write-on effect works like a dream. Thought I would pass this on in case anyone else had a similar proplem.

Here is a link to the post -

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2024090

Oh, and by the way, look forward to reading your next guide. Keep up the good work, really, really, helpful.