2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2009 12:56 AM by matt.choules

Working on PPro CS4 footage/project in AE CS4

matt.choules

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this particular forum, so please be gentle!

I have shot some video that I want to stabilise in AE, so I went into Premiere and chose my best clips and shortened some clips to a second or so longer than they need to be (at the start and end) ready for AE and leaving me enough footage to edit with after its been motion tracked.

I understand I should be able to open the PPro project in AE, and technically it does open, but then I get problems.

It asks me which sequence I'd like opened, so I choose the one I want, I then drag the sequence into the timeline (it creates a new composition automatically for me) and a solid timeline appears for the full 17 mins of footage of over an hours worth I have selected and trimmed down (in PPro).

Now I should be able to see the individual clips, each in a separate layer shouldn't I?

Well I cannot, this is all I see:

(Click to see higher res version)

I heard I could also copy and paste clips over from PPro to AE, so I tried that. But that doesn't give me the trimmed clip, just the entire clip I captured...

I don't really want to have to export individual clips from PPro to stablise in AE, only then to have export them back out of AE to edit in PPro, so what can I do??

Cheers.

--- EDIT ---

I forgot to say that I have also tried sending the sequence to AE from PPro using the Dynamic Link, but all I get is a new composition with a length of 30 seconds that I cannot drag into the timeline...

(Click to see higher res version)

• 1. Re: Working on PPro CS4 footage/project in AE CS4
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

matt.choules wrote:

Now I should be able to see the individual clips, each in a separate layer shouldn't I?

Not with the method you used which is - *tatah* -  DynamicLink. As of CS4 this works both ways. It's easy to confuse with the conventional file import, so I recommend you try this again. There should be other entries further down in your import list simply labeled Premiere Project (legacy projects up to Premiere 6.5) and Premiere Pro Project. These will give you the expected behavior. Regarding the Replace Clip with Composition thing - it's merely a workflow to create quick placeholders from within Premiere. It works as designed and cannot be used to exchange data. You can however use its brother Create Composition from Selected Clips to get something similar to a direct PPro import. Look in the Premiere help for the specifics, as I'm typing this I'm on my Mac (sans Premiere) and I'm not using Premiere much to begin with. The functions are there, but I may have gotten their names wrong.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Working on PPro CS4 footage/project in AE CS4
            matt.choules Level 1

I ended up opening the PPro project in AE and that worked out fine...

Obviously I saved a NEW project in the AE file format.