2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2008 3:52 PM by justin_pdx

Opening illustrator cs3 file in Fireworks changes color, but not code

justin_pdx
      I created a vector graphic in Illustrator CS3, with RGB. I then opened the file in Fireworks and everything looks fine because it's still vector. But the color is not right. It's close, but much lighter. The RGB values are exactly the same.

Anyone have this problem before?

thanks,
      Justin
        • 1. Re: Opening illustrator cs3 file in Fireworks changes color, but not code
          pixlor Level 4
          Fireworks does not use color profiles, so the colors you see in Fireworks will be what the majority of Web site visitors will see (skipping, for the moment, the huge problem of monitor variation). Only Safari displays images using the color profiles.

I recently read a moderately controversial blog post on setting/disabling profiles in Photoshop (comments disabled at 200), but many people appreciated the article here: Best Practice Color Setup for Web Designers

So, while your experience is with Illustrator, it's probably the same underlying cause. Illustrator is showing you the colors with an ICC profile, even though they're in RGB. When you open the image in Fireworks, you see the colors without a profile.

This is one reason I like using Fireworks. I have a better feeling about what my visitors are going to see (again, setting aside the huge problem of monitor variation).

• 2. Re: Opening illustrator cs3 file in Fireworks changes color, but not code
            justin_pdx Level 1
            Interesting. So if we're sold on the fact that we get color sync across the suite programs, that must be for print only.

One thought I had was to just change the color to what I want in Fireworks, thereby having a different RGB. That would be ok, i think, because they are for web only and not print.

I'll read the blog post now.