14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2009 6:31 PM by jojo6x

Capture playback is fast then slow

jojo6x

I have read similar posts, but no real answers.

I capture video from my mini dv camera and when i play the video back and try and edit it starts off too fast then slows to a crawl. When I stop the video it jumps back a few frames like it is jumping to a keyframe (it has no keyframes).

I am editing on a brand new mac pro. it is dual quad core with 6gb of ram. i can't imagine that the system can't keep up. i know people like to blame the graphics board, but i have 512mb of video ram. my pc with the same amount of video ram plays back just fine. my laptop with less video ram plays back just fine. I am using CS3

is there some setting i need to adjust?

• 1. Re: Capture playback is fast then slow
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Please provide these details to help us help you.

Cheers
          Eddie

• 2. Re: Capture playback is fast then slow
            jojo6x Level 1

1. Codec - DVCPRO

2. Premiere Pro CS3 / English / All updates applied

3. OSX 10.5.7 / All updates installed / English / 1920x1200 60Hz 32bit color

4. 2 x 2.26GHz Quad-Core Intell Xeon

5. 6GB RAM

6. Nvidia GeForce GT 120 / 512MB

7. 2 monitors

8. built in audio

9. 650GB hard drive / 452GB available

10. capture from a canon optura 20 camera straight into premiere pro cs3

11. premiere pro cs3 is my capture software

12. no third party plug-ins

13. no error message

14. want to play back captures video in real time. for the first few seconds after clicking play the video runs at about 1.5x speed, then slows down to a crawl.

is this enough information?

• 3. Re: Capture playback is fast then slow
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

The first thing I recommend is to get an additional, separate hard drive

just for your media.

-Jeff

• 4. Re: Capture playback is fast then slow
                emmabaker Level 1

Totally off topic, but besides your current issue...would u recommend this macpro?  versus 1 quad core 2.66?

Jess

• 5. Re: Capture playback is fast then slow
                  jojo6x Level 1

i have never used a single quad core machine. this is my first mac pro. up till now i have used macbook pro. i am sure it will do everything you want it to. if you have been successful with a single or dual core processor i am sure a quad core will not slow you down.

• 6. Re: Capture playback is fast then slow
                    emmabaker Level 1

Thanks for the input....

Struggling with dumping my windows pc world for a macpro....but it's hard to get a sense as to how 'fast/crash resistant/' they are in real time video editing world...

Mostly a hobby-ist, but I've had too many blue screens of death.

• 7. Re: Capture playback is fast then slow
                      jojo6x Level 1

there is no such thing as crash resistant computers. i don't care what platform you are on. i have crashed macs and pcs. i like working on both platforms. i have an alienware box that chews through video just as fast as my mac pro. if you buy a computer that is setup for video editing (not cheap) then you would do fine, but most of those machines are too expensive for the hobbyist.

• 8. Re: Capture playback is fast then slow
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My Adobe notes page http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM includes information on my computer

I have never had a crash with this computer (or with the slower one I replaced) which I think is at least partly due to picking a well designed motherboard and not trying to overclock

Mine is not the fastest there is today... so when I'm rendering from video to DVD I just start the process and go to bed... and when I wake up in the morning, the job is done and the .ISO is ready to burn to DVD

Someday, when Windows 7 is at SP1 or SP2 and Premiere is certified for Win7 64bit, and the price of the Intel i7 has come down, I will build another computer for 4-6 times the speed I have now

I will, again, pick a motherboard that has good reviews (maybe another Intel... maybe Asus... maybe ???) and most likely another ATI video card (I have had better results with ATI -vs- nVidia) and I will NOT overclock the CPU or memory!!!

• 9. Re: Capture playback is fast then slow
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

Mostly a hobby-ist, but I've had too many blue screens of death.

The first part of that sentence may well explain the last part.  Edit rigs should ideally be dedicated to nothing but editing.  Don't install any software on them you don't specifically need to do your work.  Have a second computer for everything else.

• 10. Re: Capture playback is fast then slow
                            jojo6x Level 1

so no one has an answer why this is happening?

i don't buy the reason being that my video is on my system hard drive. both my mac and pc laptops perform the same job without issue and they aren't nearly as beefy as my mac pro. i can't believe this machine can't play video back at a normal speed because the video is sitting on the same drive as the OS and programs. there has to be another reason.

• 11. Re: Capture playback is fast then slow
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

I've never seen this problem with DV media in a DV preset.  Not sure what might cause it.

• 12. Re: Capture playback is fast then slow
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

I don't know. One is asking a lot from a single HDD I/O sub-system and all at the same time. This is regardless of the OS/platform. I/O throughput is almost as important as CPU horsepower and RAM. For playback, depending on the CODEC used, probably more important. Unfortunately, due to the laws of physics, the heads on a HDD can only be in one place at one time. Something has to give somewhere. Stick in another HDD, configure it for your media files and give it a go. These are cheap now. Just saw an ATA-300 7200RPM WD 1TB unit for US$89 at Fry's a few weeks back. My old SCSI cables used to cost more than that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Capture playback is fast then slow
                                  jojo6x Level 1

i put it on another drive and it did the same thing. my laptop hard drive has no problem running the OS and editing video at the same time.

either way i had a tech look at it today. he is thinking it has a bad system board and is testing it tomorrow.

• 14. Re: Capture playback is fast then slow
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck, and please report back on what you find.

Hunt