2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2009 5:21 AM by Peter B. Bailey

Can't seem to delete frames in Flash movie.

Peter B. Bailey Level 1

Hi,

I'm very new to Flash. I've imported an .flv movie into a job, on the stage. I want to get rid of a lot of the first frames, about 180 of them. Why can't I delete them using a right-click and choosing "remove frames?" Nothing seems to go. The movie's still starting at the same place all the time.

Thanks,

Peter

• 1. Re: Can't seem to delete frames in Flash movie.
          Rothrock Level 5

I think you are right. That is what happens.You can't "edit" an FLV file this way. The frames are deleted, but that just means you won't see the end of your video!

Generally it isn't a good idea to import the video to the stage and play it back in this manner it can cause memory managment issues and other stuff.

It is usually a better idea to use either the playback component or your own code to dynamically "stream" the file.

Also if you want to edit out the first 180 frames you should open the source video, edit it, and re-export to a FLV.

If you can't do any of the "best practice" things. You could embed the FLV in a MovieClip say myMovie and then use code like:

myMovie.gotoAndPlay(181);

or whatever. But the file size will still include the 180 frames of content and there are likely to be other problems when looping and replaying and stuff like that.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can't seem to delete frames in Flash movie.
            Peter B. Bailey Level 1

Thank you for your response. It sounds more complicated to me than it should. I'll try to do your last suggestion, just editing the original movie.

Thanks a lot!

Peter