5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2009 8:11 AM by Jim_Simon

EDL creation software?

Webshark2000 Level 1

We have a client who has a number of miniDV tapes she would like us to edit, but she doesn't want to spend the money to have us capture all of them, go through them ourselves, and then edit.  She would like to just create an Edit Decision List, give us that file and have us only capture what she wants from the time code.

Is there software that would allow her to watch the tapes on her computer, select in and out points and create an EDL that Premiere Pro could recognize and use?  She doesn't own Premiere Pro or any high-level editing software currently.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: EDL creation software?
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

The trial version of PPro would be a quick way for her to do it.

Cheers
          Eddie

• 2. Re: EDL creation software?
            shooternz Level 6

How will she watch DV tapes on her computer without capturing them?

• 3. Re: EDL creation software?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

I personally don't like capturing that way.  Too much wear and tear on the camera heads as the tape is shuttled around looking for In points.

If it were me, I'd capture everything and give her window dubs to work with.

• 4. Re: EDL creation software?
                Webshark2000 Level 1

Eddie Lotter wrote:

The trial version of PPro would be a quick way for her to do it.

Thanks Eddie, that's a good suggestion.  I was hoping to find something a little more simple (she's not very computer literate), but this may be what we need to go with.

shooternz wrote:

How will she watch DV tapes on her computer without capturing them?

I know you can watch clips and log them in Pre Pro, without actually capturing them, so I guess I was hoping there was a free piece of software out there that would do the same.

JSS1138 wrote:

I personally don't like capturing that way.  Too much wear and tear on the camera heads as the tape is shuttled around looking for In points.

If it were me, I'd capture everything and give her window dubs to work with.

True, but we're trying to minimize our involvement as much as possible.  Otherwise we'd have to charge her.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I think I'm probably going to go with Eddie's suggestion and get her the trial of PrePro.  Hopefully it won't take too long to show her how to capture with it.

Thanks,

Shaun

• 5. Re: EDL creation software?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Otherwise we'd have to charge her.

Precisely.