16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2009 3:20 PM by joshtownsend

premier CS4 output quality

rcwhiting99

I've noticed that videos I output for use on the web have marginal quality.  The titles are blurry and caggy most of the time.  Sometimes they are not and I can't figure out what parameter is off.  I've tried every conceivable combination of settings that I can find and the quality still is sub par.  BTW, I used another editing package from Sony (you know which one) and didn't have the problem.  I've seen great output from Premier so I am at a loss as to what setting I adjusted incorrectly.  Anyone have any ideas on how to improve the quality of the output files.  They look like they are interlaced and then deinterlaced at the same time.

• 1. Re: premier CS4 output quality
          Jim_Simon Level 8

What type of media are you working with?  What are your sequence settings?  What are your specific output goals?

• 2. Re: premier CS4 output quality
            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

What is your source format?  (Jim is a faster typist than I am )

I personally have not seen any problem with web format, DVD output or BluRay output.  But then all my source data for past four years has been HDV format.

• 3. Re: premier CS4 output quality
              rcwhiting99 Level 1

Cool - thanks for both the fast responses.  Here are some of the details.

Essentially I need to output into WMV with the best quality possible for download videos.  The biggest problem I am having isn't the videos that I import but rather the titles.  The text that I put in look great in the premier editor but when I output them they have severe jaggies and are blurry.  When I edited them in the title window they look great.  When I output its a different story.  I have tried MPEG2, MPEG 4, WMV, etc. and generally the same result.

• 4. Re: premier CS4 output quality
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Basic rule when asking a question:

Never assume the person to respond, to understand your question without details and a full explanation.

Be specific and precise when posing a question.

Look here:

If you need help quickly...Guideline for posting an effective question

• 5. Re: premier CS4 output quality
                  rcwhiting99 Level 1

Ah, thought it was pretty clear.  Guess I needed a lesson in etiquete or maybe not.  Maybe just need to ask the questions somewhere else.  Thought I'd get better response or at least more polite than regular Adobe support.  Thanks for reinforcing my growing opinion that i need to move from Adobe products.  Nuff said.  Just looking for some pointers

• 6. Re: premier CS4 output quality
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Problem is, without the details asked for, it's difficult for us to provide those pointers.  So...

What media are you working with?  What are your sequence settings?  What are your specific output goals?  (Format, resolution, frame rate, file size, YouTube, Video, etc.)

• 7. Re: premier CS4 output quality
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

For one, what OS? On what hardware, with what media with which codec and what sequence settings, with which software version, what video card with which drivers, with what disk setup, etc. Just to name a few questions.

Second, how was the material ingested, what did you do when and what was the result, and why not...

• 8. Re: premier CS4 output quality
                        rcwhiting99 Level 1

I think I'm sorry i asked.  Was just looking for some suggestions not a full blown support dissertation on what I thought was a pretty clear answer.  I now see that its not. Not sure if I can answer all those questions adequately and i guess that I'm not at the needed technical level to be here.  I'll continue on with trial and error.

Sorry to have bothered you all.

• 9. Re: premier CS4 output quality
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

That is often the best way to learn.

• 10. Re: premier CS4 output quality
                            joshtownsend Level 2

But all he had to do was push the 'make text look good' button...............

• 11. Re: premier CS4 output quality
                              rcwhiting99 Level 1

Brilliant - or at least makes a lot more sense then the questions I've gotten so far.  Thanks for the smile. I needed it.  Now I just need to find that button.

• 12. Re: premier CS4 output quality
                                _dbk

If your intended output is to be progressive I'd suggest using a progressive sequence, as de-interlacing can affect for the quality of generated graphics, resulting in so-called "jaggies" and "stair-stepping" on curves and diagonals. Scaling can also cause quality issues, so consider using sequence settings that also match the intended dimensions of your output file/s.

The manual does suggest that "Render Using Maximum Quality" improves scaling quality at the cost of increased rendering time, so using the sequence settings mentioned above may no longer be necessary.

I've been working DV sequences on a CoreDuo Mac with 4GB of RAM, up to 12 layers including nests with motion FX on large .TIF files and setting the "Render Using Maximum Quality" increases encoding time by 8x.

• 13. Re: premier CS4 output quality
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

makes a lot more sense then the questions I've gotten so far.

Not to take away from Josh's levity, but the questions asked were very, very basic.  If you don't understand them, it's no wonder you're having a hard time of it.  You may be better off hiring a professioanl to do the job.

• 14. Re: premier CS4 output quality
                                    rcwhiting99 Level 1

DBK - good suggestion.  Thats what I was working on today and discovered the same issue.  I had to create new sequences and copy over the assets since you can't change the sequence interlacing component once its been created.  Looks much better.  As I thought - a relatively easy answer but hard to pin down.

Thanks for the clear and straight forward pointer.  Solved the problem.

• 15. Re: premier CS4 output quality
                                      rcwhiting99 Level 1

Jim,  no disrespect but I really did understand the questions just thought that Harm's approach to asking lots of questions when it seemed to me that I was asking for some basic suggestions of where to look was a bit over the top.  Don't really have the time or interest to get into a debate on the semantics or processes of tech support either - been there and done it.  BTW, DBK hit the nail on the head and its fixed - a setting as I anticipated - no need to delve into technical details and no need to hire a pro.  Anyway, I've done that before with marginal results.  Been doing DVDs on Premier for 6 years with great success.  Just something new and couldn't find the right setting.  Thanks to those that helped.

• 16. Re: premier CS4 output quality
                                        joshtownsend Level 2

you can also add a slight blur to the title and it should help the interlacing.

Glad you guys enjoyed my joke....