6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2009 4:52 AM by richiericardo

    how to do this?


      Hi guys,


      am learning after effects at the mo and wondering how i do some of this stuff as seen in this video?




      firstly the moving camera?  I assume the graphics are set up statically and the camera moves and rotates over them?  Animating them all to simulate a moving camera would be a bit OTT.


      Also i know how to fade in text using an animater on the opacity but how do you do it so that it randomises letters as it brings them in - as in the video?






      Message was edited by: Andrew Yoole:  Embedded YouTube video

        • 1. Re: how to do this?
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

          Doing it with a 3D camera is convenient. But not really required - the perspective rendering of a lens and the ability to simulate depth of field are the signatures of a 3D camera, and you don't see that in your example.


          You could do this by parenting every layer to a null, or a chain of nulls. But it would be much easier with a camera. Performing orbits and wild moves with cameras is not that easy, because the nature of interpolation usually makes cameras go through the shortest possible route. A common technique is parenting the camera to a null at a desired distance, and then moving/rotating the null. The ability in After Effects CS4 to separate XYZ dimensions can also help a lot in achieving natural camera motion.




          The random characters - just add the "Character offset" property to the same Text Animator used for opacity. "Character Offset" replaces the currently selected character by adding the value you specify to the original value for that characetr in the ASCII/Unicode table. So, if the glyph "a" is #65 in the table, a Character Offset of 1 will make it a "b".

          If you set two keyframes so that "Character Offset" is animating all the time, instead of replacing it with a static value, all characters within the selected range will animate in this way.

          While we're at it, Character Offset is relative, ie it adds or substract from the original value. The "Character value" property works in an absolute way - 65 will always replace with an "a" (unless you use the wiggly selector, which randomizes the intensity of the selection, and thus a character selected with 80 per cent intensity will get to 80 per cent of the specified values).


          I'll be happy to help if you have more questions. I normally like to point to the relevant sections in After Effects Help and other resources, but I really am typing this in a hurry

          1 person found this helpful
          • 3. Re: how to do this?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

            I agree with Navarro - pretty much just some stuff you can buy on the web plugged together. This wil ljust require some not so small pre-comp where you set up al lthe drawing and blinking, then you rotatte and move that comp in your main comp to give the illusion of motion. No camera required at all. Regarding the text - there's some randomizer presets included with AE, so that's nothing to exotic, either. As explained, the magic is in the character value/ character offsets. An easy way would simply be to add a wiggly selector to randomize everything, then have a normal selector in Difference or Subtract mode to "remove" the wiggle again, revealing your type...



            1 person found this helpful
            • 4. Re: how to do this?
              richiericardo Level 1

              Cheers for the advice guys, helps alot.


              Another one along a similar vein was the famous pulp fiction animation



              So basically the best way is to animate the movement of the scene rather than to move an actual camera.  Build and animate all the elements, parent them to a null for the entire thing, and then animate the null about to make it look like the camera is moving (even tho it's actually still).  Obviously this sort of thing doesn't really quire 3D camera moves



              • 5. Re: how to do this?
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

                Actually the Pulp Fiction text animation is easier to accomplish by animating a camera parented to null parented to a null...


                I know that sounds confusing but if you do a quick search of the forums you'll find a link to a tutorial that shows exactly how to do that. In the case of your example first example you could do it either way, in the case of the Pulp Fiction example it would be much easier to animate a camera.


                There was a thread less than a month ago on this very subject. Here's a LINK to one of several great tutorials on the subject.

                • 6. Re: how to do this?
                  richiericardo Level 1

                  Great, thanks for the link, thats exactly what i was looking for.