11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2009 12:03 PM by flyinion

PE4 crashes randomly and not sure why

flyinion

Hi all, I've had problems with PE4 since I started using it last year just randomly crashing.  I'll post system specs first then more details on what I'm doing and what happens.

Vista Ultimate, problem happens on both 32 and 64bit

WD 640GB SATA II 3.0 GB/s HD split into 50GB C:, rest on D:, Premiere projects are stored and scratch disks on D:, swap is on C:

Maxtor 250GB HD SATA 1.5GB/s  F:, stores video files that are used in the Premiere projects.

RAM: 2GB of GSkill DDR2-800 when I was on 32bit, now 4GB (2x2GB) GSkill Pi series DDR2-800

CPU: Core2 duo E6400 2.4Ghz @ 3Ghz tested stable, had same problems with no overlocking

MB: eVGA 680i

Video: eVGA GT260 FTW version, also had same problems when 8800GTS 640MB was in the system

swap file set by windows on C:, should cap around 6GB (1.5 x installed RAM)

So, my videos that I'm editing are .avi files recorded at 1680x1050 resolution from World of Warcraft using FRAPS which uses it's own codec.  To keep FRAPS performance up that is why I left the swap file on the 640GB drive and FRAPS has the other physical drive all to itself to dump to while recording otherwise there can be big performance hits in the game.  Otherwise I would have the windows swap file on the 250GB drive to help windows and probably PE4 out.

The most common crash is while creating/editing titles and usually when working with the effects that can be added to them.  Typically PE4 will get very laggy when I move the mouse over the effects thumbnails and many times that's when the crash occurs.  Usually the crash results in "this program has stopped working" and if I was doing titles the details will list what looks like a component for the titling (can't remember the name but it had the word title in it).  I did have a crash in the encoder one time.  I usually export in two formats, 1680x1050 6mbps fixed bitrate square pixel windows media 9 and 720x450 2.5mbps fixed bitrate windows media 9.  The other day when the crash occured I was trying out 2 pass  on the video instead of one pass.  The smaller size went just fine, the second crashed the encoder at the start of the second pass, consistently about 3 times before I set it back to one pass and had 0 problems.

Since I've had this problem on varying hardware and OS's I'm starting to suspect it's either just PE4 itself or it doesn't like the proprietary codec that FRAPS uses.  This codec creates .avi files that are about 3.9GB for a 2 minute clip at 1680x1050 and my project typically includes about 5-8 minutes of video plus a separate audio track.  What do you guys think?

• 1. Re: PE4 crashes randomly and not sure why
          Paul_LS Level 4

Probably the FRAPS codec is your issue. There have been a few folks who have had similar issues using FRAPS for capturing computer games and editing in Premiere Elements... of course I cant find the threads right now. But the usual advice is to convert to a different format... usually DV-AVI.

• 2. Re: PE4 crashes randomly and not sure why
            flyinion Level 1

Can you suggest a free/relatively cheap program that will convert it?  Also, I'm not all that knowledgeable about the different codecs, can you tell me exactly what happens in the conversion process?  In other words, when I bring in the FRAPS video normally to PE4 it is 1680x1050 which is a 16:10 ratio, I want to make sure I don't lose that size/ratio if I'm converting.  Exporting from PE4 I have to make sure that in addition to choosing the windows media 9 codec that I have to manually set the height and width and set the pixel ratio to square or I end up with video that is smashed in some way or has black bars added to it.  Since my videos are intended for computer playback not TV I don't want to end up with a 16:9 video that has bars on it.

• 3. Re: PE4 crashes randomly and not sure why
              Paul_LS Level 4

See this thread that dicusses FRAPS and codecs: http://forums.adobe.com/message/1985861#1985861

Ideally you want to convert to DV-AVI, however you can not customize the aspext ratio... the nearest you would get is 16:9.

• 4. Re: PE4 crashes randomly and not sure why
                flyinion Level 1

Ok it looks like I want to try one of the lossless codecs to see if they perform better than the fraps one.  It seems the DV-AVI will knock the file down to less than 1/2 it's original resolution so that's out.  Is there a recommended program for converting?  Or should I just load my clips into PE4 and export them with the new codec before loading them back in and doing my editing?

• 5. Re: PE4 crashes randomly and not sure why
                  flyinion Level 1

Hmm installed the Lagarith codec, I know it's on the system, but PE4 can't see it to use it.  Guess I'll just have to live with the crashes, I have no idea how to use the codec to convert the files if PE4 can't see it.

• 6. Re: PE4 crashes randomly and not sure why
                    Paul_LS Level 4

To use the codec go File>Export>Movie, then in Settings go General>File Type to Microsoft AVI (NOT Microsoft DV-AVI)... Then select Video>Compressor and you should see the Lagarith codec,

• 7. Re: PE4 crashes randomly and not sure why
                      flyinion Level 1

Hmm ok, well I think I know what the problem might be then.  I installed the 64bit version of the codec and now that I think about it, I'm guessing PE4 can't use that since it's a 32bit app.  I'll have to go through the manual install procedures for that.  Actually I'll try the file > export first.  I thought I checked under there but maybe not.  I definitely know I couldn't find any setting with it under the usual Share section of PE4.

• 8. Re: PE4 crashes randomly and not sure why
                        flyinion Level 1

Ok thanks again for the pointers.  I got the codec installed properly and was able to use PE4 to convert the file from FRAPS codec to the Lagarith one.  I only tested a short 11 second clip so I need to test some full length ones and see how they perform.  I was quite surprised, the around 350MB 11 second clip from FRAPS says in file properties it is 600,000+ bitrate, the Lagarith one was about 67,000 and came out about 415MB for the same clip.  I think I will convert a set of clips to DV-AVI at 720x480 just to see how PE4 behaves with the "correct" format.  If I have no performance problems there, then I guess I can be pretty certain the issue is the FRAPS codec.

• 9. Re: PE4 crashes randomly and not sure why
                          Paul_LS Level 4

Sounds like a plan.    Good luck.

• 10. Re: PE4 crashes randomly and not sure why
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Relative to your I/O sub-system, I see one big problem:

WD 640GB SATA II 3.0 GB/s HD split into 50GB C:, rest on D:, Premiere projects are stored and scratch disks on D:, swap is on C:

Partitions are a bad thing. Basically, they cause the OS to look upon one physical HDD as two, or more. Unfortuantely, the laws of physics preclude the heads being in two places at the same time - on different platters. The OS does not know that you only have one physical HDD and one controller. Something has to give, and performance is the first place that one sees the weakness. Corruptions, or missed reads/writes will be another.

Now, it appears that the FRAPS CODEC might also be causing problems. Still, I'd strongly suggest not doing any partitions, unless one has a really, really strong reason to do so. They are a holdover from previous OS's, where large HDD's were not recognized.

I did a short article in Tips & Tricks, that is a series of links to three articles by Harm Millard in the PrPro CS4 forum. Harm covers how to set up an ideal I/O sub-system for NLE work. I'd recommend reading all three articles, by Harm. He spells it out very clearly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: PE4 crashes randomly and not sure why
                              flyinion Level 1

Thanks I'll look that up about the I/O setup.  To answer your question though, I set up my drives with C & D (the F I mentioned is a separate physical disk) so that reinstalls of Windows or installs of new versions are easier to do.  Basically the only thing that goes on C: is Windows, drivers, small apps like yahoo messenger or something like that, and shared files that insist on going on C:.  Everything else, programs, data, etc. go on D:.  That way if for example I toast my Windows install I can just format C: and not have to worry about backing up data for the most part.